Stupid Question......

ShellyBeggs

Mabey it has to do with the type of dog I have a Cavalier

my breeder got Lucy done at 6 weeks C4

and told me to get her done again at 14 weeks C4

and upgrade to the C5 later on when I told my vet she said it was unusual but not unheard of to do this

and happlly complyed with what the breeder had recomended

No such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers!

Bruno was done at 6 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks. At 16 weeks I got the c7, which includes kennel cough and other stuff (at least I think thats what it was called!)

No such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers!

Bruno was done at 6 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks. At 16 weeks I got the c7, which includes kennel cough and other stuff (at least I think thats what it was called!)

As above for Erik the wrecking ball.

Cheers

Roo

I too have a vaccination question.

A foster pup went to get her vaccination from a vet we don't usually use. She is 16 weeks old and as far aw we know, this is her first vaccination.

He gave her a C3 and told me her next was due in a year.

Does this sound right to you?

Kaz - depends on the vet. The vaccination schedule for pups starts early to try to provide protection from deadly diseases, and is repeated as they get older incase maternal immunity interferes with the early vaccination.

Once a pup is beyond 16-18 weeks of age, if they are not receiving the parainfluenza / bordatella vaccination (so only getting a C3) then one dose should be enough - although many vets will do a second vaccination in a month. It will also depend on the particular vaccination used.

Kaz - depends on the vet. The vaccination schedule for pups starts early to try to provide protection from deadly diseases, and is repeated as they get older incase maternal immunity interferes with the early vaccination.

Once a pup is beyond 16-18 weeks of age, if they are not receiving the parainfluenza / bordatella vaccination (so only getting a C3) then one dose should be enough - although many vets will do a second vaccination in a month. It will also depend on the particular vaccination used.

Thanks Rappie.

I was just told there is a new vaccine on the market which means all puppies only need the one shot if this is used.

A foster pup went to get her vaccination from a vet we don't usually use. She is 16 weeks old and as far aw we know, this is her first vaccination.

He gave her a C3 and told me her next was due in a year.

Does this sound right to you?

I'm not sure. Did they simply forget this was the first vacc.? Can you double check with the vet.

The Protech Duramune c3 is supposed to last for at least 3 years, but after the 2nd vacc.

From Gazette APVMA (Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority) 6, 7 June 2005 page 12:

4.VARIATIONS

Product Name: Protech Duramune C3 Canine Distemper, Adenovirus & Parvovirus Live Vaccine

Applicant Name: Fort Dodge Australia Pty Limited

Summary of Use: The changes included the instruction leaflet to indicate that the vaccine are efficacious and protective in six week of age and older dogs for up to thirty-nine months following a second vaccination.

Date of Variation: 4 April 2005

Label Approval No: 51487/0205

I got my puppy done with the full one (C5? including kennel cough) at 9 weeks and they said he needs the booster a month after that. Then apparently every 12 months.

y simply forget this was the first vacc.? Can you double check with the vet.

The Protech Duramune c3 is supposed to last for at least 3 years, but after the 2nd vacc.

Don't forget that there are differences between the Protech vaccines - the Duramune is the new 3 year, and the Protech C3 is the annual (which used to be called Duramune). Also different manufacturers will have different cut off ages and protocols.

You will find in the label information for the Protech C3 / C4 that the information states:

For primary vaccination of pups and dogs 10 weeks of age or older. In previously unvaccinated dogs of 10 weeks or older a single dose of Protech C3 or C4 is sufficient to confer 12 months protection.

It then goes on to discuss optimal protection and revaccination.

I got my puppy done with the full one (C5? including kennel cough) at 9 weeks and they said he needs the booster a month after that. Then apparently every 12 months.

Tha is normal for a C5 - two exposures (vaccinations) are required to give protection against parainfluenza for 12 mths.

the vaccination schedule at the hospital i work at is a c3 at 6 weeks, then clients choice of either c3 or c5 at 12 & 16 weeks, then yearly boosters. we of course do as much as we can to recommend the full c5, but, working in a mid-to-low socioeconomic area, it isnt always accepted.

if we have a patient who has been unvaccinated for some time (2-3 years plus) we recommend a second vacc in 1 months time to ensure a return to full immunity