Fat Puppy

bilby

I have a 10 week Lab girl & am feeding Eukunubra Medium Breed Puppy.

I've read & re-read the instructions to give her 2 & 3/4 cups a day .. but she seems a bit podgy .. & I've cut it down to 2 cups.

She is very, very active as she & the JRT are wrestling & chasing 95% of the time she's awake .. so I would have expected her to need more than the recommended amount, not less.

I'm so anxious to get it right at this crucial stage .. & am nervous about feeding less .. but she is just so rotund.

Her poos are not firm but not too loose .. & she seems to poo far more out than goes in .. but she definitely is not getting any other food. Family members do recognise that this would result in death. (theirs)

I'm perplexed.

Any suggestions?

You've got to remeber that the guides on the food are only that, a guide to start from, and then you should adjust to the individual dogs needs, and metabolism

If she needs less it is completely fine to give less, better to be feeding less that the "guide" than have an overwight puppy IMO

Just like people, some dogs will put on weight easier than others

Owwwww I love little round lab pups! rolly polly podgy cuties!

If you are worried cut her down a bit! But keep in mind she be one of those that grow out like a litte butterball then suddenly up (and all the out seems to disappear overnight).....I know all my pups seem to do that!

Kids seem to do that too I have noticed.....eat heaps all of a sudden, look a bit rounder and then the next time you notice they seem to have shot up half a foot and look unround again!

If you do cut her down keep out for signs she is hungry (hungry lab pup prolly = great destruction)........and maybe you can try adding some vegies or something to fill her up.

Cheers

Shelly

I did the opposite with my standard poodle pup- he got underweight when I fed by the packet instructions. Lucky the breeder babysat him for a couple of days early on and set me straight- he's a bigger dog and needs more food.

You did the right thing to cut back the food. It's not cruel to keep pup lean, but it is to keep him fat, now you've seen a problem's developing.

Labs can get hip problems and many advise keeping pups lean, not growing too fast, to avoid these problems.

You can cut it down further if he doesn't slim down quite quickly without causing any harm whatsoever. He'll adapt very quickly with none of the psychological issues humans have with food. Raw bones with a little meat left on can keep him busy without giving too many calories. Ditto mashed cooked veges mixed into food can help him feel fuller.

Sounds like he's getting enough exercise, already, and most advise not to overexercise pups.

They say you should be able to feel the ribs with the flat of your hand- like corrugated iron. When you look at the dog side-on, you should see a "waist" (narrowing) before the dog's rear end. No hip bones or backbones should be visible, though it's OK to see ribs when they're stretched out on their side, for example.

Good luck :( .

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I have a 10 week Lab girl & am feeding Eukunubra Medium Breed Puppy.

I've read & re-read the instructions to give her 2 & 3/4 cups a day .. but she seems a bit podgy .. & I've cut it down to 2 cups.

She is very, very active as she & the JRT are wrestling & chasing 95% of the time she's awake .. so I would have expected her to need more than the recommended amount, not less.

I'm so anxious to get it right at this crucial stage .. & am nervous about feeding less .. but she is just so rotund.

Her poos are not firm but not too loose .. & she seems to poo far more out than goes in .. but she definitely is not getting any other food. Family members do recognise that this would result in death. (theirs)

I'm perplexed.

Any suggestions?

Put her on the carrot diet! Substitute some her dry food with carrott or other vegetable scraps. Dry food is very nutritous and they need less of the stuff if they keep on putting weight on. You could also switch to a brand that is low in protein, that will make her loose weight as well. In my experience labs are always prone to put on a few extra pounds. But if she is healthy and active I would not stress about too much.

I never follow the instructions on the packaging and always feed by sight and by feel. By this I mean - do I think the dog looks like the optimum weight? (nice waist? can you feel the last two ribs? Is the coat healthy, shiny and are the eyes clean etc) If yes, then I'm feeding the right amount. Are more ribs starting to show? Is the coat looking dull or shabby? Then I might need to increase the feed. Is the dog too fat, in my own personal opinion? If yes, then I'm feeding too much.

Labbys can be chubby lil puppies, but that's no excuse to let them get overweight. Overweight labs can end up with joint problems later on in life, just like with any breed. Too many people think that a lab should be barrel on legs. IMHO, however, there's nothing worse than a fat lab! They look so pudgy and uncomfortable.

Some premium feeds can actually give puppies too much of a good thing. This can lead to problems with the rate at which the bones develop and lay down calcium, the most common of these problems being a condition called panosteitis. Although a temporary condition that the puppy will grow out of with age, it can still be painful for the dog.

You know your dog best. Feed what you think is an appropriate amount, and if unsure, ask your vet or breeder their opinion on what the ideal weight for your baby should be.

Why are you feeding her medium breed, if she is a lab she should be on large breed food.

I agree with others, I never look at the feeding instructions. I was told that most of the time they recommended dose is too high for hot Australian climate by ~30%! I have moved to QLD from Chicago (US) 6 months ago with my animals and I did have to cut down on their usual diet. And I was already feeding them less them recommended in the US.

If more is coming out than going in, then maybe the food isn't what suits her best. Have you thought about experimenting with other foods - mince, raw bones, chicken wings, necks, veggies, stuff like that? Maybe the dry food isn't very good for her if she is pooing it out and also putting on weight. Go with your gut, you know what she looks like and if you are really worried, take her to the vet or ask the breeder to weigh her and give you a good opinion.

I'm with Faolmor - I never even look at the feeding guide!

I have a cup I use that is not a standard measuring cup anyway :thumbsup: I do a guestimation on how much to feed and then adjust by how they look and feel. More if they are looking on the skinny side, less if they are looking chubby. I generally keep them fairly lean anyway though.

I also feed chicken frames, and occasionally eggs and sardines so since I am adding other stuff the feeding guide would not be all that much use.

:) Thank you all for all that helpful info. :rofl::)

She looks healthy & very happy, coat is very shiny, eyes bright etc etc. It was just the variance with the guide which seemed quite significant.

I'm maybe being overanxious. I never used to bother with the feeding guides etc .. but after doing what I THOUGHT was the right thing with Bouf ( as per the vet I had then & confirmed by some sites's recommendations) & then him needing a cruciate ligament op before he was 3, I just wanted to check. Bouf's problems were quite probably due to his conformation (I bought a X :) ) .. but you know the guilt .. was it my mis-feeding ??

Yes, Shelly, she is a rolly polly :rofl: which is fine if it's just the puppy stage. I love lean Labs, & though I haven't owned one for 25 odd years, I remember my 1st childhood Lab being fat & arthritic & sore & old & dying at 10 .. & my 2nd one being kept lean & living a high quality life till 14.

Why am I feeding her Medium breed ? Ummm ..I don't really know. It was recommended by the supplier who checked the %'s & said that they were identical but the biscuits are smaller. He left the choice up to me though .. but I didn't check that myself .. I'll do that.

I usually do add eggs, sardines, veggies etc .. but was trying to get a handle on her needs first.... but I suppose that will probably change week to week, if not day to day, whilst she's growing so I'll start just adding them & see how we go.

As for bones, chicken carcasses etc, I haven't introduced them yet .. they'd be OK for her age ? She would LOVE them.

Thank you again :thumbsup:

:) Thank you all for all that helpful info. ;) :cheer:

As for bones, chicken carcasses etc, I haven't introduced them yet .. they'd be OK for her age ? She would LOVE them.

Thank you again :thumbsup:

Ok Number one - I want more photo's! :D

And yeah it's fine to feed bones etc - Benson from the time he came home at 7 wks of age got all kinds of stuff! He now gets two frozen chicken necks every morning as I am leaving for work so he doesn't fret (frozen so they last longer than a minute) every couple of days a lamb shank with the majority of the meat removed and brisket bones! Then three times a week he gets sardines or tuna with his dry food and the other night (human grade) mince meat. Then all kinds of vegies!

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

Why am I feeding her Medium breed ? Ummm ..I don't really know. It was recommended by the supplier who checked the %'s & said that they were identical but the biscuits are smaller. He left the choice up to me though .. but I didn't check that myself .. I'll do that.

I was told by the man in shop to feed a standard poodle medium breed although they're a large dog, too. Wrong stuff. Some brands have a lab on the packet for the medium breed kibble, too :love: . Large breed formulations usually have less protein and less calories.

Be guided by suggestions of the lab breeders out there.