Joint Guard Or Sasha's Blend

I changed my 'oldie' over from Sasha's to Joint Guard about 2 months ago - his athritis appeared to be less noticeable when on Sasha's so will be changing back. (however I don't want to knock Joint Guard as he is getting older so it may have had nothing to do with it, just my personal experience)

Would also agree with the earlier recommendation for Robert McDowell - my ACD takes a custom made 'fear' mixture before trialling and it has worked wonders.

Have also heard rave reports about cosequin for arthritis treatment.

my little meg has not really responded from the simple glucosamine products like Joint Guard and has just recently started on Osteocare and she is now bouncing around. My Vet told me that type II collagen is new thing for preventing Osteoarthritis and Osteocare is the only product. Plus, my dog loves them!

Joint Guard is not a simple glucosamine product. It has a number of ingredients including Chondroitin, MSM, Vit C and a few others. There are many simple Glucosamine products available with glucosamine as a single ingredient. I don't find them to be of much benefit.

• 1 month later...

Osteocare is a little different from these things as it has this collagen stuf plus the other goodies that Joint Guard etc. It has been unbelievably good for meg. I am so impressed. I agree, even the fussiest dog loves them

Am interested in this Osteocare, but it didnt say on the website that it had the same goodies as Joint Guard

It mentions type II collegen but it doesnt say anywhere that there is Glucosamine & Chondroitin in it like the Joint Guard?

Did your vet tell you how its the same as Joint Guard?

I asked my vet for you and she said its the new thing for arthritis. There are all the goodies needed to build cartilage, which is what the glucosamine and chondroitin does, but the collagen actually makes it work even better! She explained it to be like the collagen in skin creams, which helps build strength and regenerate the skin - the same for joints with osteocare collagen. She also said it contained mixed GAGs - its the glucosamines etc. Its on the US product label but they cannot have it on the Australian label.

Its on the US product label but they cannot have it on the Australian label.

That sounds a bit dodgy to me...why wouldnt they put it on the Australian label? Apparently the US dont have the tough restrictions that we have here so they can pretty much say they contain whatever they want, and dont have to proove that the product works, so you can be buying a load of rubbish! This is why Missing Link was taken off the market here, because it was from the US and it didnt meet the Australian standards of ingredients and manufacturing (I know because I rang customs myself to try and get some in for my dogs!) I doubt this biscuit actually contains the glucosamine or chondroitin otherwise the Aussie govt would have let them put it on their label!

I think I will stick with the Australian made Joint Guard as I know it works and it contains what it is meant to contain!

I don't know much about the doggy glucosamine products, but I deal with the human versions a lot. For the people that weren't getting great results, check that the dosage is enough. In humans, the recommended daily dosage that is proven to be effective is 1500 mg/day. A lot of the human products have well short of that and often people are taking maybe half of what they need, don't get the results and stop taking it. I'd probably check with your vet as to what dosages are proven for dogs of varying sizes, but I know that's where a lot of people go wrong. There is also a difference between glucosamine sulfate and glucosamine hydrochloride in terms of how much pure glucosamine that derives down to (with glucosamine sulfate providing more).

I'd probably check with your vet as to what dosages are proven for dogs of varying sizes, but I know that's where a lot of people go wrong. There is also a difference between glucosamine sulfate and glucosamine hydrochloride in terms of how much pure glucosamine that derives down to (with glucosamine sulfate providing more).

Glucosamine Sulphate maybe a better product for humans but Glucosamine hydrocholoride is more bioavailable for dogs due to the different molecular structure. I switched from Gluc. Sulph to Joint Guard because of the Glucosamine hydrochoride.