Teething

Janba

My 4 1/2 month old pup is cutting molar and my adult bitch is insisting on cleaning his mouth. She is quite insistent that he lies there and she is gently licking at the spot it is coming through, even though this requires that she puts her nose in his mouth. He doesn't seem to mind, but gets sick of staying still after a while. The gum is a bit red and swollen, but not noticably infected.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour in their dogs?

My 4 1/2 month old pup is cutting molar and my adult bitch is insisting on cleaning his mouth. She is quite insistent that he lies there and she is gently licking at the spot it is coming through, even though this requires that she puts her nose in his mouth. He doesn't seem to mind, but gets sick of staying still after a while. The gum is a bit red and swollen, but not noticably infected.

My two pups (litter mates) did this to each other when they were teething. It's very sweet.

Hi, while I have never done this, my mum told me that her Pharoahs and French Bulldogs used to do it all the time. She used to call it 'cleaning each others teeth' She never found any evidence of a hurt happening. I just think that we dogs do it cause we like it how our mouths smell. I would not really worry about it. Us dogs do things like this.

That's really sweet. I wish my puppy had an adult dog to do that for him. He keeps getting a light red stain around his mouth (he's white so it very noticeable). Is this normal? The poor little thing must be so sore. He is also biting us more and I'm wondering if it is because his mouth is sore and he is frustrated and doesn't know what to do with it. :rolleyes:

My Staffy pup (nearly 5 months old) is also teething and as a result is mouthing/biting me and himself more! He has HEAPS of toys to chew on but i think he thinks i taste better or something!! haha :laugh: How long does teething phase last for?? (this is my first pup!)

Here are som pics of my pup with my parents...his first time at the beach!! (I was in NZ and missed it...but they sent me the pics so I wouldnt miss it!...so sweet!)

post-15705-1181788197_thumb.jpg

post-15705-1181788215_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a foster pup, approx. 4 months old. He is mouthing and chewing me and everything else in sight. I don't know much about pups, having had adult dogs before.

Can someone fill me in on the teething process..... the age at which it occurs, and how long it lasts?

Also, how best to deter him from using his teeth on me.....he's not aggressive at all....its just puppy play, but needs to be discouraged. :)

Thanks, Fido. :love: