Great Barko & Uncle Alber's

Would you be interested in either/both products?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Great Barko

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Not in Brissie but recommend it
    • No comment
  2. 2. Uncle Alber's

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Not in Brissie but recommend it
    • No comment

They are actually both the same company, same dog food, just different names.

I started feeding this to my Belgians and they loved it at first, but then my boy started to vomit a couple of times a day from it. I know it was this dog food cause when I stopped it the vomiting stopped. He was still his lively self even tho he was vomitting. After that I have decided not to get the food again.

This is ofcourse my opinion of it and my experiences from it. I would say its not worth using.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are actually both the same company, same dog food, just different names.

I started feeding this to my Belgians and they loved it at first, but then my boy started to vomit a couple of times a day from it. I know it was this dog food cause when I stopped it the vomiting stopped. He was still his lively self even tho he was vomitting. After that I have decided not to get the food again.

This is ofcourse my opinion of it and my experiences from it. I would say its not worth using.

I have been using Great Barko for around 2 months now and have had no problems at all with the product. Dogs luv it, don't need to eat large amounts to maintain condition and look shiny and healthy. My past experiences with dogs vomiting has been due to overeating, if the dogs luv the taste of the feed and have access to too much they can sometimes eat until they are sick.

• 1 month later...

An update if anyone is intersted. I received an email from NSW distributor telling me that there are now 3 places that will be stocking these foods on the northside.

They are: The Animal Warehouse, 13 Aerodrome Rd, Caboolture 07 54990511

Northside Produce,1961 Gympie Rd, Bald Hills, 07 32618124

Brendale Produce, 124 Southpine Rd, Brendale, 07 38811711 ( Should have it by next Tuesday)

I am sure if anyone on the other side of Brisbane were to contact him (pm me) he would be able to advise you of other places.

eta. Ellz & Freckles are you still happy with it for your dogs, as you have been using it a while?

Edited by badboyz

My girls still go mad when I feed it to them and I am more than impressed with their coat condition and body weight. SO yep I'm more then happy to continue feeding it :offtopic:

As for my foster, he found a new home and when they changed his diet he lost weight like you wouldn't believe. He is now back on Great Barko and back to a fantastic weight for his build.

Oh and the poo patrol here is still a fraction of what it used to be and I have not seen any coprophagia (poop eatting) either, so that in itself is a bonus.

Ok everyone, I am the person who instigated with both Craig Taylor and the Great Barko Manager from SA to introduce it to Queensland. Great Barko and Barko are not the same company, which I am told is why the latter have now changed their name to Boomer.

I tried to buy a pallet as I had friends willing to share it with me to trial it, however they were adamant they would not sell to anyone direct and would only send to QLD if I could find a produce store willing to purchase and then I could rebuy from them.

The Goodna Produce on the Old Road adjacent to the river agreed, and have been successfully selling it from there since early June. They are selling both Great Barko and Uncle Albers and as I instigated them getting the product, I am also able to buy at a very good price from them.

Initially there was two of us in the first purchase to share in the pallet, then both of us offloaded a bag here and there to various others to try and I think there is about 8 of us now all sharing a pallet.

Like most foods, I guess it suits some and not others; however in saying that, all of our dogs liked it and all were happy to eat it dry and on its own.

And I have some pretty fussy eaters too!!!!!

To date I am not using it on all, but instead I am currently doing comparison feeds.

Our British Bulldog has been on nothing but Uncle Albers since June, and we have had many comments as to how good he is looking. He is a fussy eater and loves it, he has always had trouble holding weight and is currently maintaining beautifully, his coat is always good and is as usual, his breath is fine and he is an indoor dog and loves our bed so I would know, and yes he farts, but always has!

He is both male and a bulldog! :offtopic::eek:

With any changes in food the pooh situation can alter, I find it usually increases but that is often the bodies way of coping with a change. With the introduction of GB and UA, I found no difference in quantity or texture after the initial changes were adjusted in their bodies.

I have a few samples of each if anyone is wanting to try either products and I will be at GD & HB on Sunday, so if you want to email me we can work something out, or alternately if anyone wants a share in our pallet, I currently have some bags of GB only.

Cheers,

Lesley

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update - I am about 3/4 through a bag of Great Barko. So far dogs are doing as well as ever. I do of course feed my dogs alot of raw, so they only get about 3/4 cup a day maximum, but so far I have no complaints. I have not yet tried it much on my oldest girl as she can get a bit smelly (yeasty) on dry food. She currently is getting Nutrience Derma, so that will be my next test. Will wait till the Derma is finished then give her a go on it also. If she does well, then I am sold! I paid about $35 for a bag. I know others down south have paid about $25 - but is that a transport issue or am I being overcharged? Still a bargain next to the super premiums!

I tried it too, but there was a fair bit of " dust" (crumbled food) in the bag I had. Food was more chewy than other dry I've bought. Can't say if it's an issue with food itself or storage at the shop etc. Paid about $30 from memory. I feed raw, it varies now from about 20-60%, depending on the day and what's thawed.

I've gone back to Purina One- about $25-26 for 7kg- on special at supermarket. It's easier to handle in that size bag and no Barko dust :rofl: . I didn't like the smell that much. No complaints about dog's overall condition.

I ran out of raw in freezer and loose poo with the bigger dog on Great Barko only for 2 days. Didn't have the same problem with the Purina One and dogs a bit more enthusiastic about eating it. I can feed the mini poodle anything without poo issues, different story for the standard poodle (~25kg).

Certainly worth a try, especially if you're on a budget.

If it doesn't agree with your dog (can happen with any food0, donate it to a local rescue ;) .