4legs Dog Food

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'd not be any more worried about the dogs chocking on this food than any other food.

I'm sure Molly's misadventure was not what anyone needs but in all probability it would not have mattered what she was eating at the time it could have been dry food or a chicken neck and created the same problem.

Glad she is OK though

Nope, this food is 'bite-sized' so she didn't chew it...she chews everything else I've ever offered to her. :D Chicken necks can't go down her throat without her chewing them. 4 Legs OTOH, is just the right size to get down the throat and get stuck. :laugh: And many dog owners have reported the same thing with this food yet the company hasn't got a warning on the packages about the size of the food pieces being unsuitable for very small dogs. :D

What if I hadn't known canine first aid? My dog would have died. And this has happened before with this particular food. That makes them negligent and liable, IMO. :p

Personally I'd not be any more worried about the dogs chocking on this food than any other food.

I'm sure Molly's misadventure was not what anyone needs but in all probability it would not have mattered what she was eating at the time it could have been dry food or a chicken neck and created the same problem.

Glad she is OK though

Nope, this food is 'bite-sized' so she didn't chew it...she chews everything else I've ever offered to her. :rolleyes: Chicken necks can't go down her throat without her chewing them. 4 Legs OTOH, is just the right size to get down the throat and get stuck. :( And many dog owners have reported the same thing with this food yet the company hasn't got a warning on the packages about the size of the food pieces being unsuitable for very small dogs. :rolleyes:

What if I hadn't known canine first aid? My dog would have died. And this has happened before with this particular food. That makes them negligent and liable, IMO. :)

FGS, the company is not negligent or liable because it's a bite size piece that may be too big for your dog to handle. Would you like them to put a warning on the packaging telling those with smaller dogs that they might need to cut the food into smaller pieces ? Where's your common sense FFS

It's no differnt to feeding a Stafford a chicken wing and having them choke on it because it's about the right size to get stuck. I had to revive Sarah Stafford as she choked on one but I didn't hold the butcher liable.

If you check out the ingredients, you may find it's not something you necessarily want to have as a staple diet; sometimes the fact that the furfamily loves it can be indicative of elements that suggest putting it into the 'occasional' category, depending on your dietary beliefs! These kinds of foods can often have a high fat content, which is of course why Maccas will probably be soon adding a 'Doggy Pack Meal Deal' and 'Leash Thru' service as soon as the Hamburglar is suitably confident in clicker training.

Um my dogs love all sorts of food, doesnt matter if it is high fat low fat no fat they will eat it and I certainly didnt say it was the staple part of their diet and I dont believe anyone else did, I happened to buy a "bulk lot" as it works out cheaper and have frozen it and am sharing it with friends.

My dogs get fed a huge variety of foods in their weekly menu, 4 legs just happens to make up a component of the diet 1 night a week or if we are away

If you check out the ingredients, you may find it's not something you necessarily want to have as a staple diet; sometimes the fact that the furfamily loves it can be indicative of elements that suggest putting it into the 'occasional' category, depending on your dietary beliefs! These kinds of foods can often have a high fat content, which is of course why Maccas will probably be soon adding a 'Doggy Pack Meal Deal' and 'Leash Thru' service as soon as the Hamburglar is suitably confident in clicker training.

I checked the ingredients.. that's why I know it doesn't have artificial flavours, colours or preservatives. It has a minimum fat content of 11% which puts it on par with most dog foods. I don't feed anything to my dogs or myself unless I know what's in it.

It's not a staple part of my dog's diet. I use it as a 'convenience food' for when transporting and storing frozen and raw foods is too bulky or time consuming and for times like days of car travel when my oldest boy would become constipated by lack of activity if he ate his normal diet.

Guest Clover

I will happily feed it to my mainly RAW fed dogs as a treat or when we are away. They love it & it is convienient. I cut the 'balls' up smaller for the pup as he tends to inhale his food :cry:.

I checked the ingredients.. that's why I know it doesn't have artificial flavours, colours or preservatives. It has a minimum fat content of 11% which puts it on par with most dog foods. I don't feed anything to my dogs or myself unless I know what's in it.

It's not a staple part of my dog's diet. I use it as a 'convenience food' for when transporting and storing frozen and raw foods is too bulky or time consuming and for times like days of car travel when my oldest boy would become constipated by lack of activity if he ate his normal diet.

Apologies Poodlefan and Eridor if you thought I was saying you both have it as a staple diet (and for any who may, I respect that it's their dog, and their choice!) - I was just saying in general, that it may not be something people necessarily want as a staple diet - depending on your dietary beliefs. Sometimes it may not occur to people to see what's actually in it, because of the way it looks, and the way it's packaged. Others will always read what's in stuff (as I understand you do, Poodlefan); recently in another similar post, when the fat content was mentioned, someone noted that they hadn't realised that it's quite high - that's the only point I was making....sheesh! :cry: I can't say anything around here! :cry:

I feed my 2 malts on 4 legs - they loove it

It does smell quite nice .... unless it goes a little off .. definitely watch the use by date

Produces nice firmish poos and I'm quite happy with the all round results.

I tend to chop the balls in half for my girls .... and they seem to wolf it down ok