Pugs Vs Brisbane Climate

Cujo

Speaking only for myself....we own tibetan spaniels (Brisbane), which also are a short-nosed breed like pugs. Such breeds are susceptible to heat stress because dogs don't sweat to get rid of heat, but pant. So their respiratory system isn't crash-hot at expelling heat.

Our tibbies have access to the house during the day...& our house is well insulated because of the Brisbane heat (film on windows, insulation in ceiling & even the special heat-resistant roof paint. We also have air-conditioning (but not always turned on). There's a doggie door leading to a small fenced courtyard where the tibbies can go out to the toilet.

We also do not walk the tibbies in hotter times of the day...& in summer do not walk them very far at all.

I am not too sure about the humidity in Brisbane but I would imagine it would be similar to Sydney?? I know the temperatures are usually a couple of degrees higher for many months of the year compared to Sydney (lucky bastards :laugh: ).

Pugs can, and do, survive all different climates. As Mita has said though, being a brachy breed, they have a defective cooling system and so some precautions must be taken.

Generally speaking they are not considered to be an 'outside' dog.

My dogs have access to our home via a doggy door. They are able to come and go as they please throughout the day while we are at work but this has only been for the last 12 months or so. Before this (the installation of the doggy door), I would keep them indoors in extreme heat conditions and sometimes even with the air con set to remote to come on and off at various points during the day.

They can not be walked during hot weather or at times of high humidity. A pug can die of heat related conditions much faster then other breeds.

I am not too sure about the humidity in Brisbane but I would imagine it would be similar to Sydney?? I know the temperatures are usually a couple of degrees higher for many months of the year compared to Sydney (lucky bastards :) ).

Pugs can, and do, survive all different climates. As Mita has said though, being a brachy breed, they have a defective cooling system and so some precautions must be taken.

Generally speaking they are not considered to be an 'outside' dog.

My dogs have access to our home via a doggy door. They are able to come and go as they please throughout the day while we are at work but this has only been for the last 12 months or so. Before this (the installation of the doggy door), I would keep them indoors in extreme heat conditions and sometimes even with the air con set to remote to come on and off at various points during the day.

They can not be walked during hot weather or at times of high humidity. A pug can die of heat related conditions much faster then other breeds.

Hi, this is Andy the Wonder Dog, I am a dog. My mum has FINALLY let me back on the putor, I really upset her a couple of days ago, Oh well!. She used to live in Qld and bred French Bulldogs. (For about 15 years). She found that like pugs, so long as they have access to LOTS of water they are fine. They used to regularly immerse themselves in the baby baths full of water she provided. When she moved to Darwin, she brought all of her 4 Frenchies, she once again provided LARGE baths of water so they could play in it. No air conditioning. Have to be honest, although her Frenchies loved it up here, I cannot understand ANYONE wanting to imperse themsleves in water? Why? I have lots of hair, and I live in Darwin, I don't mind the heat!!! Go figure! (ps, I was born in Qld and didn't arrive till I was 5 months old, and still have trouble handling 12 degres).

How do pugs handle the Brisbane climate? Will they be OK in the yard during the day as long as they have shade and water, or do they need extra allowances?

Why not contact some of the Pug breeder from the DOL pages who reside in Birsbane and the surrounding area, they will be able to tell you exaclty what is needed for Pugs in Brisbane.

:thumbsup:

Would French Bulldogs be on the same level as Pugs?

Ive been wondering that, or would Frenchies be more sensitive than Pugs when it comes to heat stress and breathing problems etc?

I have had three Frenchies, so I don't know if that's enough to make any comparisons between the two. I have had a super active Frenchie bitch that I showed and did obedience and mucked around in agilty with, she could be compared to my little Pug bitch who can do back flips on the end of the leash, when it comes to how well they handle the heat.

It's just a personal opinion but i would have to say that the Pug is a little more robust and possibly copes better than the Frenchies do. I treat my Pugs the same as I did the Frenchies, they have access to a pool in summer and if I'm hot in the car, I turn on the aircon.. I have always treated them as dogs, they get no more special treatment than my Staffords do. They all get wet towels in the dog trailer on a hot day and I keep all of the dogs out of the sun at shows.

I am yet to have one drop dead and the only problem I've had so far, is sending one from the dry heat to a humid heat, it took a little while for him to adjust but he's back to being on the go all of the time and they have to lock him up to stop him running around.

:)

Thanks for your answer.

This is my first French Bulldog (he's 5 months) Im already stressing about having my first summer with him and how he is going to handle the heat! ;)

Mine survived Dubbo in summer , where you can have weeks above 40 degrees. Teach them to swim and enjoy the water from an early age and they will always go and cool themselves off. The Pugs are the same, mine will all swim if they are feeling a little hot, they have to fight the Pointers for the pool though but they are mad, as they swim in the middle of winter too :)

MiMi was so bad, that she would go out to the toilet and often take a quick dip at 10pm before going to bed, it would drive me crazy getting the towels out at that hour :thumbsup: