Chihuahua Breeders Please

Hi everyone,

Was wondering about my chi pup she is 13 weeks old and has one ear up and the other is very floppy the up ear has been up for weeks and weeks (at least 6) are the chances of the other one eventually coming up good

Any help would be terrific

Hi,

My breeder told me that I should expect my puppies ears to go all floppity during her teething period (from around 3 to 4 months onwards). They usually right themselves though.

Not sure what happens if one ear was NEVER up though.... Mind you, unless you're planning on showing the dog, it doesn't make that much difference- just adds character to that beautiful little face.

Can we have a pic?

:)

Hi thanks for replies

No, ear has never been up. What are its chances?

As for adding charactor I dont know about that

She is registered on the main register

Would love to send pic but have no idea how

Will keep hoping

Thanks again for replies.

The main register just means that she can be shown and bred from (correct me if I'm wrong). All purebreeds can be put on this register. The ear is another thing entirely.

It should only matter if you were planning on showing your dog. Were you?

Sorry think we have our wires crossed here

When i stated she is registered on the main register

I mean I dont think a floppy eared dog is good for showing (not a good look)

Sorry about that

Lovely puppy Tryamartimmy.Mine is Chocolate/Tan long coat

There are many things you can do to get the ear to set correctly.

You can purchase some tape from the chemist. I have forgotten the name of it but if you say the sticky one that looks like paper. Now, you can do several things. Just run the tape straight up the ear on the inside of the ear and it should sit straight up. If it doesnt apply another layer.

If you purchase a very wide tape you can cut out a rough pattern of the ear and again stick on the inside. Same applies if it doesnt sit up straight apply another layer.

Now if you want to get really technical you can purchase some pipe cleaners and cut to the length required and cut out an ear pattern on the sticky paper tape and stick the piece of pipe cleaner on the tape and stick it to the ear. Just make sure that nothing will cause discomfort from the pipe cleaner. If needed put a small piece of cotton wool on either end of the pipe cleaner. You can also enclose the pipe cleaner in between the layers of the sticky tape.

Now if you don't want to do that you can purchase some Flexible Collodion from the chemist and paint the fur side of the ear till it goes stiff. It may take quite a few applications. Buy the way the stuff stinks, smells like a hospital to me. The smell goes away quite quickly.