How Can I Keep Dog Of Outside Couch?

Hi all,

We have an outside couch under the pergola that our dog will just not stay off when she is outdoors.

I have tried rewarding her when she gets off after told so but the second we are inside again she jumps up on there. We never encouraged this behaviour on this piece of furniture and it is now filthy due to her getting muddy and jumping on it.

She is in a crate inside at night and spends the days outside. I have tried pepper but that was not successful.

Any helpful suggestions appreciated.

Dogfish

Is your dog allowed on the furniture inside the house at all?

I can understand why it would want to be on there.

Can you perhaps place a puppy pen around it/put items on it so the dog can't get on?

Edited by sas

Put objects on the couch, If there in her way she can't sit up there.

Old milk crates, bar stool laying down etc.

I know not ideal, but instant solution.

I have already tried this and she manages to get everything off. We did block it with a couple of outside tables at one satge but she always found a way back on there.

Is your dog allowed on the furniture inside the house at all?

I can understand why it would want to be on there.

Can you perhaps place a puppy pen around it/put items on it so the dog can't get on?

No, she is not allowed on the furniture when inside. At the moment she only is allowed in at night in her crate.

At least now she can get off when she needs to go. When we first got her she would get on there and could not get off and would end up doing her wees on there.

*sigh*

Suppose I will just have to perservere.

Dogfish

When I had Kal, and in the early days, she had a tendancy to get up on my bed when I wasn't looking. Not only was it soft but it was warm. Toasty warm. Problem being it is a water bed - with a mattress not to match the strength of her otherwise innocent talons!!

Apart from the initial "prevention" and training for it to be understood as a behaviour I did not want, I ended up "setting-up" the situation for her to self-correct.

For me it was easy - she absolutely hated the sound of squeaky toys ..... so I got hold of quite a number of the "squeak" mechanisms and placed them, ready to "squeak" under the doona.

End of problem.

LOL at Erny's solution.

I'm sure dog knows comfort and can do a comparison on the comfort level between the crate/ground versus the couch. I will spray/soak some Citronella/Eucalyptus NEAT on the couch or some cushions. Or velcro some spikey things there to make it uncomfortable. Never tested not sure if it'll work. :laugh:

edited spello

Edited by flycow