Drive Training

L" Ok - complex process that it is - is someone able to give me a concise or rather summary of what 'drive' training is then..... I don't think I fully understand the type of training you are all talking about just yet

K9: training in drive is teaching the dog how to achieve drive satisfaction by the dog offering a combination of self controlled focus & adrenalin driven movements...

Using a drive reward is training the dog in traditional methods but instead of using a food reward, priase or a toy, its invoking or triggering drive at the end of the excercise so that the dog will be rewarded via brain chemistry (endorphin flow) rather than physically...

Training in drive produces greater reliability as good training in drive programs teach the dog how to control its drive, creates a smarter animal that can think on the move.

L: K9: If you surprise the dog with the toy you will build in problems for later work...

Are you able to elaborate please???

K9: surprising the dog can create problems such as sign tracking, toy stealing, por timing of the re inforcer etc etc.. These all lead to the dog changing its goals to "how do I best get the toy" rather than your goals of obedience..

Thanks for the links Sieta - I couldn't run a 'search' yesterday :p.

K9:

Using a drive reward is training the dog in traditional methods but instead of using a food reward, priase or a toy, its invoking or triggering drive at the end of the excercise so that the dog will be rewarded via brain chemistry (endorphin flow) rather than physically...

So how do you know when you have actually 'triggered' drive as opposed to just 'wanting' the toy or food??

K9: surprising the dog can create problems such as sign tracking, toy stealing, por timing of the re inforcer etc etc.. These all lead to the dog changing its goals to "how do I best get the toy" rather than your goals of obedience..

Ok - but even in drive, isn't the dog striving for that end reward also??

L: So how do you know when you have actually 'triggered' drive as opposed to just 'wanting' the toy or food??

K9: I guess a pciture is worth a thousand words, the amount of energy (adrenalin) in the dog is one way..

L: Ok - but even in drive, isn't the dog striving for that end reward also??

K9: yes, also, meaning as well, not "only".

When you dont have drive you dont have chemical reward, so the dog is only working for the lure, usually when you have a dog working like this, the dog goes into drive for something else, thats when you lose the reliability.

In my drive programs, I am it, there is nothing else...

K9 - do you have to actually give (throw on ground) the dog the toy at the end of the exercise? Once the toy leaves my hand my dog isn't that interested in it. Thanks! Not sure if he is in drive but is certainly giving good focus and ignoring other distractions. Jumped over the cat last night to stay in the heel position!

K9 I generally go one of two ways, either I play tug with the dog or just drop the ball into the dogs mouth, some dogs find one rewarding, not so much the other.

If your dog looses interest he or she may benefit from a game of tug, or maybe your dog needs some more drive development excercises..