Bc Lost The Plot

DogzRule

Morning,

Probably only a minor problem but BC (12mths) has just decided he cant play ball anymore......

He still chases it, brings it halfway back, drops it and then returns to me??

I refuse to go and pick it up and until now he used to go back and get it "oh, I forgot it" , now he justs nudges me as if to say "you go" The game comes to a halt as we have a battle of wills, but it still leaves me feeling bad because it used to be one of his favourite games

I have tried shortening the distance but still have the same result.......driving me insane, any suggestions? :thumbsup:

Ps

He did loose his Collie friend (13) a month ago so dont know whether that has anything to do with it???

Edited by DogzRule

Try:

You throw ball/toy

once dogs 'fetches' and is coming back towards you, you turn around and run the other way to get the dog to chase you (hopefully with toy in mouth). Have a treat ready and do a swap... If you dog likes tug, you play tug with him.

My first thought is the first time he stopped bringing it back.. you may have pulled a face which he has interpreted as he has done something wrong.. hence dropping it.. and it has continued from there.

while some dogs just love chase ball, others get bored with owner throw ball, dog brings back and then owner throws ball again. Hence the tug at the end.. there is some interaction between you and the dog.

If Kaos drops his squeaky before he gets back to me I say 'where'd it go?' and he will go back and get it. I give him a treat for bringing it back - did it in stages encouraging him to bring it to me.

Hey

Thanks for your suggestions. Being a BC he does have a tendency to become bored with games, unless he is chasing something, like his old friend that he lost

Maybe I did give him a look, but definitely not intentionally

We will work on the running away and treats, to see if that changes the game

Having lost his friend, he is a bit lost and I am thinking of getting him a companion, cant decide what though.... Its only been a month do you think I am moving too fast or should I leave it a little while??

I would approach it in another way.

Try sitting down with the ball in front of you & a piece of food & teach your dog to pick up the ball & give it to you & reward with the food. Pick a word which means to give you the ball (like give). Then move the ball gradually further away until you can throw it & say teh command give on the way back.

I have done this with all my BC's & fading the food happens fast as they get the game.

I would approach it in another way.

Try sitting down with the ball in front of you & a piece of food & teach your dog to pick up the ball & give it to you & reward with the food. Pick a word which means to give you the ball (like give). Then move the ball gradually further away until you can throw it & say teh command give on the way back.

I have done this with all my BC's & fading the food happens fast as they get the game.

Sorry to hijack.....

Vickie, do you think this will work with my BC - the first 5 or six times we took her out with a frisbee she LOVED it. Now she can run 20 to 30m and will get in a position to catch, but will just 'head' it, turn around and run back to me. First time I throw it she will catch and return, but after that it is as per last sentence.

She is tennis ball mad and returns to me quicker than she gets to the ball - very strange.

Tony