House Training Still Not Working After 9 Months...pls Help!

buzzle

I have a gorgeous 9 month old female chihuahua who is proving to be quite difficult to house train.

I have a 'pet loo' in the courtyard but as I work during the day she is left inside with access to puppy pads. She never wees in the house any more (always on the pet loo or the pads). She sometimes poos on the pet loo (or around it) but only about 50% of the time. I am always watching her and praising her for doing the right thing when I am around but obviously can't be there during the day. I think she understands 'toilet' is the command but associates this more with doing a wee than a poo despite my constant reminders.

She also refuses to go to the toilet outside on the grass - although I have spent many hours with her at the park reminding her of 'toilet' when she is sniffing around but she doesn't seem to put two and two together. Because of this it is usually difficult when we visit friends houses as she will usually make a mess inside in some hidden corner.

I understand that toilet training takes time and patience but thought some of you might have some tips so I can help her to be 100% house trained. Also, if you have any tips for getting her to go on the grass it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Because you have trained her using puppy pads I dont think she understands that she is to go to the toilet on the grass, and I am assuming you have no grass in the courtyard.

When toilet training I always took my pups out nearly every half hour to an hour, outside, and would stay out there until they went. Sometimes I may have been standing outside for 15 or 20 minutes with lots of praise when they did go.

I think you will now need to retrain her to go outside to the toilet JMO :p

Is it possible to leave her outside during the day, until you have trained her. That way she has to go outside, and by removing the puppy pads when you're home and taking her outside, she will learn that is now where she has to go.

Also, puppies and older dogs in new surroundings, someone elses house, will often go to the toilet anyway.

The fosters and friends dogs I have had in my house have all gone to the toilet somewhere sneaky.

Its easier just to keep them outside or you will need to watch them like a hawk.

Good luck

I have this problem too Lucy just does not want to go poo in the same spot as she pees even when out side or she will go out side to pee then come inside and poo and going over to other people house is always scary I will read with intrest what others say good luck

I don't know if I can help. I've been very lucky having had around 30 dogs over my lifetime and never ever had a toilet prob. (except with a dementia dog, we used nappies).

I agree with bc. I have always gone outside with mine, on the grass, said weeeeeeeeeeeeeeees (in a screechy voice, sound like a banshee, poor neighbours!) until they go, even if it takes an hour, praise praise praise. (same with poo)They end up going on command after a while, very handy. This has worked for me with ALL breeds.You need to make sure they go so they don't do it when they come back inside. If mined haven't pood for a while ( I know from the garden!) I wait until they go because i KNOW they need to. If you go in they will want to go in too, even if they still need to go!!!

Also, I have always had mine confined to one room (kitchen/family whatever) where we are so I can see if they are making 'I need to go ' signals and whip them out immediately (rain, hail, or shine!!) then do as above. If you go to another room, the pup goes too. Once they get into a habit of going anywhere it's very difficult to break. This can drive you crazy, lots of up, down, in out, but is worth it. Suddenly they are trained.

I don't know how you can get her to go on the grass if you have none.She wouldn't understand. At friends maybe you could just keep her on lead and with you so you know when she needs to go? It's all very difficult when you work all day. I think you are doing well. Maybe you could put one of her used pet pads on the grass for starters?Wish I could help more, good luck. (at least she isn't a wolfhound! poo size!) :p

Because you have trained her using puppy pads I dont think she understands that she is to go to the toilet on the grass, and I am assuming you have no grass in the courtyard.

When toilet training I always took my pups out nearly every half hour to an hour, outside, and would stay out there until they went. Sometimes I may have been standing outside for 15 or 20 minutes with lots of praise when they did go.

I think you will now need to retrain her to go outside to the toilet JMO :p

Is it possible to leave her outside during the day, until you have trained her. That way she has to go outside, and by removing the puppy pads when you're home and taking her outside, she will learn that is now where she has to go.

Also, puppies and older dogs in new surroundings, someone elses house, will often go to the toilet anyway.

The fosters and friends dogs I have had in my house have all gone to the toilet somewhere sneaky.

Its easier just to keep them outside or you will need to watch them like a hawk.

Good luck

oops... pressed the wrong button above...

She was outside when it was warm but as it has been so cold and wet in Sydney lately I haven't wanted to leave her outside... it's a shame because when she was outside she was using the pet loo quite regularly. Hopefully the weather will clear up soon and she can go back out!

I do stay with her outside but she is so cheeky she will usually force out a bit of a wee and then run back inside. At least she understands where to wee I guess...

I don't have any grass in the courtyard but that is a good idea to take a bit of the puppy pad to the park and see if she figures it out.

That's true... only little 'bundles' to pick up!

i would suggest confining her while you are not home - in a play pen or similar. Put the pad in the pen and see what happens - that way shes less likely to run off and go in a corner.

sorry i dont have more to suggest - i have always had grass and used crates with training pups :p

Buzzle:

She was outside when it was warm but as it has been so cold and wet in Sydney lately I haven't wanted to leave her outside... it's a shame because when she was outside she was using the pet loo quite regularly. Hopefully the weather will clear up soon and she can go back out!

You've answered your own question. The key to successful toilet training is absolute consistency. If you change where and how the dog is and isn't allowed to toilet then you confuse the dog. What would be your understanding of where your dog thinks she's supposed to go. Are pads inside OK? Can she go inside? or is she only allowed to go outside? I don't think your dog knows.

The reason small dogs are supposedly more difficult to toilet train can be summed up in one word - owners. It's easier to tolerate accidents and clean them up when you have a tiny pup.

Picture every accident your pup has as Great Dane sized.. where will you want her to go? Always outside - my guess is that you'll be answering yes. :p

Have you considered putting in a dog door?

I agree the dog is confused where to go .

When you visit friends she is toileting to what she simply has been taught,its fine to go inside.She hasnt been taught to hang because theres always something on the floor for her to go when she needs to.

I think you also need to remember chis are tough little dogs ,cold weather is just that,chis get shwoen every weekend in the cold,walking on week grass & running around there owners back yards,there still dogs.

You have shut her off from her own routine so now she is doing what you find acceptable going inside.

I say get her back to being a dog,normal routine whether it be hot or cold because the longer you leave it the worse it will get.

You needto consider what you will do every winter for the next 14 yrs??

She is only 9 months now but she doesnt have a normal routine.

You either need to set the pet loo inside the house or arrange a better solution for outside

Unfortunately i rent so a doggy door is not an option and my house is too small to have the pet loo anywhere inside. :wave:

I am happy for her to go inside on the pads when she is inside but I can understand that having 2 options may be confusing her so in the long run i would prefer her to go outside all the time. I do treat her like a normal dog but i wouldn't leave any size dog outside when it is storming and 12 degrees. I think you are right though... the problem is that she can't understand that a particular area is ok inside but another separate area is ok outside.

In the breed book it mentions that as she is a (very) small breed she will need to go more frequently than larger breeds and that they are very sensitive to cold weather (making the current situation quite tricky!)... I guess the best option is to wait for this weather to clear up a bit and start from scratch again with her outside. And no more puppy pads.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Unfortunately i rent so a doggy door is not an option and my house is too small to have the pet loo anywhere inside. :wave:

I am happy for her to go inside on the pads when she is inside but I can understand that having 2 options may be confusing her so in the long run i would prefer her to go outside all the time. I do treat her like a normal dog but i wouldn't leave any size dog outside when it is storming and 12 degrees. I think you are right though... the problem is that she can't understand that a particular area is ok inside but another separate area is ok outside.

In the breed book it mentions that as she is a (very) small breed she will need to go more frequently than larger breeds and that they are very sensitive to cold weather (making the current situation quite tricky!)... I guess the best option is to wait for this weather to clear up a bit and start from scratch again with her outside. And no more puppy pads.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

The longer you leave the situation unresolved, the harder you will make the task of toilet training her to only go outside. Ask your landlord about a cat door (that's how small you can have it). You can always buy another door to put there and have a cat door fitted.

My vet's view is that toilet training time is limited. If they don't get it at a certain point, they never will. I'm not so sure about that but by having different criteria you will certainly complicate things.

I didn't expect it to be so wet constantly for so long and i also planned on buying her a jumper. unfortunately everything I have bought her falls off as she is quite long and skinny and the jumpers that fit in length are too loose. i am trying to find someone that can knit a jumper to fit her but in the mean time she is not benefiting from the situation i have created with the 2 toilet areas.

Hi Buzzle

Excellent advice from everyone

I also have Chihuahuas and they can hold on all night from the age of around 4- 6 months. I have a 15 week old pup and he can, and does ,hold on all night no problem.He is house trained already.They sleep in crates overnight (only) and this teaches them to hold on as they do not want to pee/ poo in their bed.This is very effective. My Chis can spend all day happily outside in the winter when I am not home. ( I live in Victoria) they have shelter to protect them from rain and wind and warm beds. So your Chi should be fine outside even if she/he has a nice warm box.JMO but I would lose the pee pad and loo and start afresh by taking her/ him outside every half hour with a command ,just the command you normally use, and when she goes give her a treat like a very small piece of schmacko (they love them)and make a real fuss over her with praise and clapping and hooray pee outside,but dont give her the treat for anything else but pee/poo.This really works for me and it doesn't take long hope it works for you

Good Luck

1959 - thanks for the tips! It's great to hear from another chi owner. That is reassuring that your pups are ok outside in Melbourne weather as it can get pretty nippy down there. Sometimes when you research things on the internet you get so many different bits of advice it can be hard to know if you are doing the right thing... Now i know just to come straight to this forum!

From all the advice everyone has given I will lose the pee pad and keep her outside during the day (quick smart!).

Anyone have a good knitting pattern for a tall skinny chi? :wave:

I would possibly invest in a little waterproof jacket that can be straped at adjustable lengths around the neck/chest and tummy. That way you can just tighten it while she is still a puppy and have it nice and snug.

That way you can still use it when she gets a little bigger, and if it is raining and she decides to go and walk around in it, she is not going to be stuck in a wet jacket/jumper all day.

If you cannot find one that is small enough (you should be able to though from a good pet store stockist) you can get them made. It will cost you a bit more but I would not want my dogs in a wet jacket all day as I know they venture out in the rain occasionally and to go to the toilet.

Good luck with everything and let us know when you have any luck :laugh:

Edited by BC

That's a good idea BC. Took away the puppy pad last night and I stitched a jumper so it fits her a little better and I have her outside wearing that today. Fingers crossed she'll get the hang of it! Will let you know when we have success.

Guest Amy Rose

Good luck buzzle! I know your pain, I finally got my dog to wee on command for the first time yesterday. I think his problem was the associating word, which I have since changed, and he finally did it!

We've had him for the same period of time you've had your chi, so it can be done! We don't have grass in the 'backyard' either, just a little cemented courtyard, which must have also confused him.