Which Puppy To Choose?

Petal

Two registered girls, both cute as a button, one a little bit bigger than the other but both look pretty much the same. Without actually seeing the pup and how it behaves any suggestions on what to ask the breeder on choosing which puppy?

Second question - seeing there has been a thread about flying a very young pup what transport options are there from NSW to Vic?

The breeder knows the pups personalities so talk to her/him about what qualities you prefer. For example, do you want a sooky snuggler or do you want a cheeky outgoing dog? Is she a pet or show prospect? If a show prospect, ask the breeder to choose the one she thinks will be best conformation wise.

I don't think they can be flown before 12 weeks of age, can they? NSW to Vic is a just a short plane trip. Flying would be your best option.

Talk to the breeder about there personalities and your lifestyle so she can make a decision for you.

Pups can be flown around Australia at 8 weeks of age and they can be flown overseas at 11 weeks now as ANKC has changed there protocol. It ties in with Rabies vaccines being given in there newly adopted country and not in Australia.

For the record pups can come from NZ at 8 weeks as well. But have to be 11 weeks to go from OZ.

Thanks Toohey and Wylie for your responses. The breeder is very non commital about the pups personalities saying they are very similar which is fair enough. One has had more attention from her child... so is a little more interactive but other than that they are like two peas in a pod ;)

If you trust your breeder then let them send there choice otherwise i would pay the airfare i go look

I made the trip to Canberra to choose my puppy at 5 weeks (from 9)....barring BAER testing etc. Best thing I ever did! And the breeder was not only incredibly accommodating, but actively encouraged me to come and stay :thumbsup:

I have purchased my two guys without seeing them beforehand apart from pics via emails and researching the breed lines. I was in the same boat as to which one I wanted, the first pup I got was absolutely gorgeous that I had to have his brother as well. I have a really good relationship with the breeder and her vet. Both parties were really forthcoming with any information I requested. Having looked back I was putting a lot of trust in the breeder and I am so grateful she is honest and trustworthy.

Its really hard to pick from the litter even if you are there in person and must say doubly hard when you have to trust someoneelse.

Good luck and which ever one you receive Im sure you'll love puppy just the same.

Appreciate your kind advice. It is one of those situations where I cant get to Sydney this week and puppies are just over 12 weeks and ready to go.... so first in best dressed.

I have decided to collect myself.... but if one pup is sold this week then I had to make a call on which pup I would prefer based on the photos :thumbsup:

As has been said... just have to have a bit of faith - no doubt they are both just as beautiful :love: as one another.

It may be a dilemma...... but a happy one :D

I have to say that I've never really had that problem. There's been a whole litter that I would be happy to have any of them (5 pups) but I see a dog and make up my mind. I could hardly ever say to myself 'no I don't want him/her' but I can easily say 'That's it! She's the one!!!' there's something about them. Just maybe if you and the breeder can't tell much of a difference, just look at the pictures for awhile and decide which one you want. It might be that on has her head a bit cocked to the side, or her eyes are more alert or maybe you just 'feel' right about it.

Good luck - please please please show us a pick when you make the hard decision!!! :rofl:

post-17759-1183427445.jpgThis is the one :D ... my OH is going to be training her so I gave him the choice ... and he picked the little pup. Isn't she a cutey !!

Edited to change the photo... it had links to personal stuff (too much information :eek: ) ....noooo nothing naughty ;)

Edited by Petal

What a beautiful face!

I chose my Italian Princess from a photo when not even contemplating buying a pup. The breeder was just happily showing pics of the pups and Roux caught my eye. She was 'posted' to me from SA to Vic at eight and a half weeks.

Was very definitely one of my better decisions in life.

Please forgive my ignorance, what breed is this little beauty. She looks a little like a friend's pup which is an Australian Terrier(?) I think.

Thankyou Roux and LittleMiss ... the pup is an Australian Silky and no name as yet.... hubby did suggest Ginger but I am hoping he changes his mind! :rolleyes:

(I like Amy - a name thats part of her breeding heritage) But like all kids I think a name will fit when we meet and get to know her character a little. :p

Thanks to everyone for your interest and advice ... all very much appreciated.

Oh my gosh what agorgeous pup.My husband actually picked my pup out too via photo on the mobile.Even though she is no pedigree,I wouldn't change a thing.Keep us informed with the name etc.

I like Amy though.