Kibble

I was looking at super premium dry foods the other day and was quite impressed with the price not as expensive as i thought. Anyway i looked thru the ingredients in eagle pack and was again impressed it seemed to have the best list of ingredients compared to royal canin etc. How does eagle pack compare to nutro, royal canin, omni pro etc? Should I try eagle pack or is there a better product?

I don't feed processed foods but I have done some research on dry dog foods. IMO Eagle Pack, particularly the Holistic range, is an excellent food for most dogs' needs. It's superior to RC IMO and RC is a fairly good food. Nutro is also on par with EP if you have a good look at the ingredients. But just as importantly is the SOURCE of ingredients. If they're available from organic sources, more's the better and even a food with only a small percentage of organic ingredients is likely to perform better than one with no organic ingredients. ;)

JMO. :(

In my opinion, Eagle Pack Holistic is the best kible you can get in Australia -

My second choice would be the DVP Natural Balance, but they did have some products recalled in the US in the recent pet food drama, and to me that says lack of quality control in general.

EPH did nothave any products recalled...

There is also Innova and Innova EVO, but they're only available atPet's Paradise...

EPH did nothave any products recalled...

:) Nutro did not have any KIBBLE recalled either - The only kibble in Australia which was recalled was Hills.

I personally found with my fussy Boxer he LOVES Nutro, and doesn't really like EP at all...

-WithEverythingIAm

Fair enough about the Nutro kibble, but in my opinion, even one product in the brand that is recalled, wether it's kibble or canned or pouched, is enough for "ME" not to trust the brand... to me it speaks volumes on quality control, that' all.

Having said that, Nutro is considered a super-premium in Australia (not so much in the US or Canada where there are greater choices) and lots of people feed it here with good results, but it's not for me. If your boxer loves it, and you're happy with it, that's fab!

Can't give a comparison in regard to the eagle pack but i have previously fed one of my gsd's hills science diet and saw no improvement but have in the last 12 months switched to Nutro Lg breed lamb and rice and my dogs have never looked better,there coats are really glowing and not near as much shedding as there used to be before starting the nutro :)

One of my girls had a skin problem and she used to have a smell about her all the time but this has gone as well

checkout this website which shows some great results as well

http://naturalpetfoodsaustralia.com/

while we are on kibble can you only buy Nutro online ?I tryed the web site got an answer back but the lady was in QLD so she was going to forward my request to some one in Mel but no answer yet

EP really good but I cant get Puppy food right now some problems with shiping anyone know shops close to ringwood MEL that not out of stock ( so sorry for hijacking the thread )

Edited by Falling_dawn

Fair enough about the Nutro kibble, but in my opinion, even one product in the brand that is recalled, wether it's kibble or canned or pouched, is enough for "ME" not to trust the brand... to me it speaks volumes on quality control, that' all.

Having said that, Nutro is considered a super-premium in Australia (not so much in the US or Canada where there are greater choices) and lots of people feed it here with good results, but it's not for me. If your boxer loves it, and you're happy with it, that's fab!

Yes GTN - we have all heard your opinion plenty times before :p Perhaps you can try telling people what you think is good without dragging down the names of other brands of food you've never even bought?

BTW - Where DO you get your info concerning Nutro not being popular? Sorry but just seems you pulled that statistic out of your :rofl::rofl: :D :D If you're gonna sprout "facts" you need to back them up!

-WithEverythingIAm

I've fed both Royal Canin and Eagle Pack to mine, and I tend to prefer the Eagle Pack as I feel that my dogs do better on it. I was also concerned that the Royal Canin smelled strongly of corn - the first time we opened a bag, my OH said, "it smells like CCs or twisties!"

Having said that, I don't think my dogs necessarily did pooly on the Royal Canin, and I'd feed it again if there was nothing else. But I do feel that they do better on the holistic EP.

what about the ingredients barley and oatmeal? are these good for anything

Both have nutritional value, Ncarter, so yes, they are good for something; however, whether or not they should be part of the canine diet is hotly debated. Personally, I have fed my dogs oatmeal with no ill effects. It contains a lot of vitamins, and I'm sure, despite the current debates, that the canine digestive system can do at least something with the grains providing they have been softened and crushed.

I have fed oatmeal occasionally as a porridge meal in addition to raw meat and vegies, but I don't feed it often. Even Billinghurst says that it can be used as a small part of his "BARF" diet. It is also contained in the holistic eagle pack variety that I feed, so they are getting it daily anyway. I have a dog with Atopy and food allergies, and all I can say is that for him, it hasn't done him any harm. For the first time in his life, he is completely 100% asymptomatic, and finally has a double coat. I'm not saying this has ANYTHING to do with oatmeal, btw...I'm just saying that it hasn't set off his allergies. Another dog might not be so lucky.

Edited because I can't spell...

Edited by Faolmor

Not sure about the adult formulas being suitable for puppies :vomit:

The dry kibbles have been formulated for varying life stages and sizes, we have shelties and certainly would not consider feeding a large breed formula to either our puppies or our adults. :vomit:

I got this info from Eagle Pack. They advise puppies are taken off puppy food quite early. It's only their formulas however, not others.

I didn't suggest feeding small dogs Large Breed formulas.

EP really good but I cant get Puppy food right now some problems with shiping anyone know shops close to ringwood MEL that not out of stock ( so sorry for hijacking the thread )

Have you tried the Produce store in North Croydon?

Petstock Lilydale.

Petstock Mitcham. they will probably be out.

I couldn't get LB puppy either. This is why I contacted EP and found out that the adult foods are ok for puppies. Their formulations are different to other companies.

I'm not too sure what's going on with EP as I contacted USA about a few things and they said there shouldn't be any problems with getting the products here. The person I dealt with was going to contact the International Distribution Manager and try to work it out.

Yes GTN - we have all heard your opinion plenty times before :rofl: Perhaps you can try telling people what you think is good without dragging down the names of other brands of food you've never even bought?

BTW - Where DO you get your info concerning Nutro not being popular? Sorry but just seems you pulled that statistic out of your :rofl::vomit::vomit::rofl: If you're gonna sprout "facts" you need to back them up!

-WithEverythingIAm

Whoa.... back up there... I did not drag any names down, I simply said that while Nutro is good, there are better brands... there are also better brands than Eagle Pack Holistic, but they're just not available in Australia. I used to feed Gomez Burns in the UK, I consider that superior to EPH, which he gets now, but hey, I can't get it here...

Listen, If EPH wasn't sold here I would probably feed the Nutro, but I'll make that choice as and when...

It's a shame that we can't get some of the other brands such as Orijen, Canidae, Timberwolf Organics, Merrick, etc - at least we would have more choice.

As for "statistics" and "facts" I didn't quote numbers or percentages - I lived in the US for 15 years and I am aware of what people tend feed their dogs, that's all

At the end of the day, if you like what you are feeding your dog, and the dog is doing well on it, then that's all the "endorsement" you need, eh?