Gsd Pup Barking @ Neighbour

I've searched through this forum but i dont really have an answer to my situation. I live on a hill and the side neighbour's on lower ground. My house has a high yard with a retaining wall and about a meter drop from the highest point to the lowest point. The retaining wall was the original fence line. The owner's bought up the side allyway from the council decades ago. Thus the split level ground.

P6200145.jpg

When Kaiser is on the left side of the bricks he can see 50% of the neighbour's yard.

He is only 5.5 mnths old so long walks and too much exercise to tire him out is not a good option. I have no desire to wear out his joints while growing... :rofl:

As far as i can make out he barks when he sees and hears the neighbours. He will stop barking if i a there to correct him (after telling him "no" a few times) but i am concerned about times when i am at work. Monday to Friday 9-5. My older SheppixLab girl does not bark at them and only barks when strangers come within about 3 meters of the house.

I am going to introduce him to the neighbours today to see if that will make a difference.

I am worried as the owners of this house told me that my neighbours CAN be feral. The have poisoned trees growing into their yard, jumped fences to hack down trees etc. So i wouldnt put baiting my dogs past them and would like to sort this porblem out before it gets to this stage.

He has Mya to play with and for company, toys inclduing Kongs, tennisballs, tug toys and empty milk bottles with food in them. Plus others which gets rotated.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks! :cry:

Well until you can teach your GSD to stop barking you will have to make some effort to block the view:

Approach the neighbours and ask them about putting some lattice etc up so the dog cant see into thier yard.

Alternatively dont attach it to the fence put it about 500ml off teh fence that way they have to trespass to damage it. Grow roses, or a rapidly growing vine on it.

You can always take it down in about 12 months. And of course consult the ownsers of your place.

There are other methods you can use - some here would flame me for suggesting them but some include citronella collars ( which are successful for some dogs), and depending n which state you live in there are other methods that are legal but some would suggest not nice. However there are methods such as bark collars that emit a high pitched reminder etc.

What ever steps you take it has to be to stop the barking habit from beginning - we have Labs and their great barkers - so we have had a little bit of experience in stopping barking.

Good luck

Okay, so far this is what we've done to the back gate.

We bought 2 tarps and folded them in half then weaved it through the iron and secured it with cable ties:

P1010013.jpg

As you can see from the right gate the whole street is in full view.

P1010014.jpg

P1010031.jpg

Hopefully this will stop them barking at the people walking up and down the street....

I've also spoken to the neighbours and asked them to visit occasionally when we're at home so they can give the dogs a treat and pats.

I'll see if there's any improvement during this week.

I would be careful asking neighbours to feed your dogs and give them a pat when you are not there, you leave your back door open dont you??? You dont want your dogs to let people in the yard, you dont want people knowing that the dogs are freindly and wont protect your property, just a thought, be careful........ :happydance2:

I would be careful asking neighbours to feed your dogs and give them a pat when you are not there, you leave your back door open dont you??? You dont want your dogs to let people in the yard, you dont want people knowing that the dogs are freindly and wont protect your property, just a thought, be careful........ :thumbsup:

I was going to let my neighbour (with the low fence line) come around on the weekend and give them a pat/a treat - not something from their kitchen, but one of my doggie treats.

I only leave my back door open when i or my housemate is at home.

Edited by RiverStar

A lot of people find those anti-bark collars good... I'd say that would be better than letting everyone pat and be friendly with your dogs, especially if you leave the door open...

Shade and Hooch are usually occupied with the massive marrow bones I get them from the butcher $3 each.

I would be careful asking neighbours to feed your dogs and give them a pat when you are not there, you leave your back door open dont you??? You dont want your dogs to let people in the yard, you dont want people knowing that the dogs are freindly and wont protect your property, just a thought, be careful........ :thumbsup:

I was going to let my meighbour (with the low fence line) come around on the weekend and give them a pat/a treat - not something from their kitchen, but one of my doggie treats.

I only leave my back door open when i or my housemate is at home.

The dogs are not going to know whose food is whose when your not there, they will take food from anyone then.

A lot of people find those anti-bark collars good... I'd say that would be better than letting everyone pat and be friendly with your dogs, especially if you leave the door open...

Shade and Hooch are usually occupied with the massive marrow bones I get them from the butcher $3 each.

I'm thinking about those bark collars too, but i'll see how it goes this weekend. I like my side neighbour, she is a nice old european lady :thumbsup: Her son visits her every weekend with his little brown staffie - it would be nice if they can play together occasionally.

I'm goning to ring around and see if vets hire them out. Those collare are pretty pricey.

Oh, marrowbones are a good idea. I'll get some today!

Thanks GSD Lover.

I popped to into the IGA and bought really BIG bones. The are about the size of my forearm! :thumbsup:

Mya will have a heart attack!!!

You will be surprised how much is left at the end of the day. It is good that they are cut in half - they love eating the marrow out of them. Hooch tries to claim both for himself :thumbsup:

I wrote a letter to mt neighbours about the dogs barking.

It basically said: I didnt realise they were barking so much. I apologise for the noise, i'll be taking steps to minimise and hopefully eliminate the problem barking. It wont happen overnight so please be patient. And feed back would be greatly appreciated. And i left my mobile number for them to contact me on.

I dropped off the letters on Tueday night and this morning my opposite neighbour called me.

She was really nice and friendly. Had been in the neighbourhood for 20 years. She's at home everyday and loves dogs. She told me that she can never hear my dogs barking during the day :rofl: She said "Dogs are dogs and they will bark. But your dogs dont bark to the extent that i feel like they're being pests"

It made me feel better. :eek: