Chew Proof Bedding?

ashan

I am looking for some sort of chew proof bedding (matteress) for my 5 mth old Border collie x kelpie. I thought I had brought a great one which was machine washable and warm in winter/ cool in summer but he has chewed it to shreds. Any ideas would be great but I am on a tight budget (uni student with 2 non fur kids, one fur kids and a scale kid oh and partner)

Thanks

post-18070-1184586114_thumb.jpg

Short answer is: No. There isn't any such thing :( .

You have an active cross on your hands, so I'd not buy him a "good" bed for a while yet. I found my pup asleep in the clothes basket one day because I'd not got him a comfy bed, yet :thumbsup:. I felt a bit bad, but got over it :thumbsup: .

If he's outside in kennel- cardboard is a good insulator and free e.g. boxes at the entrance of your local Bunnings. 2nd hand shops have baby blankets etc., but suspect they'll be chewed, too. Inside, a mat would be good- somewhere that's his place and you can say, "On your mat". Can supervise that so it's not chewed. I wouldn't give it to him for outside.

Has he got some other things to chew e.g. Kong-type toys, raw bones etc.?

Thanks for the ideas. I will wait longer to get him a proper bed when he is older. It is just sooo cold here and don't want him to be cold during the day (has a kennel though). He is inside at night so that is ok (sleeps on one of those kids sofas). I just don't want him to make himself sick by eating this stuff. He is supervised inside except when we go to bed.

He has heaps of toys (destroys them pretty fast) and the kids leave theirs outside to so he also chews them up (oh well they will learn). I dont mind him chewing up stuff just not his bed.

We have had him 5 weeks and so far he has anialated 1 big tennis ball, 4 small tennis balls, 5 dog toys, 4 kids toys, 2 soccer balls, 3 plastic balls, 1 inflatable water canon, and the list goes on.

Hope he out grows it soon

:happydance2:

Maybe more raw bones to chew and tough toys like the chewable Kongs stuffed with peanut butter or treats. My bigger dog has a "Texas T-Bone" one of those designed-to-be-chewed type things and loves it.

My smaller dog used to sleep on a kids sofa- chose it himself- cheaper than most dog beds :) . Both my dogs are still sleeping outside, though they're poodles, so have in-built woolly jumpers :cool: .

My pups always have large pieces of polar fleece either folded or crumpled up. If you buy a big piece and fold it you get a nice thick pad for them to lay on. They can chew it but they generally don't bother - there's not much fun in it! Even if they do chew a few holes it doesn't ruin the bed.

You can get polar fleece from Spotlight stores - particularly at the end of Winter you can buy it cheaply. It washes easily and dries really quickly too.

They get nice beds once they can be trusted :happydance2:

Edited by blacklabrador

Maybe more raw bones to chew and tough toys like the chewable Kongs stuffed with peanut butter or treats.

Yeah he gets 1 bone every two days so will look into KONGS (looked once but they were expensive). Hopeful I will save on balls etc though.

My bigger dog has a "Texas T-Bone" one of those designed-to-be-chewed type things and loves it.

Can I sound silly but What is a Texas T-Bone???

Thanks heaps

Sorry this is totally off topic

a SCALE kid?? :happydance2: :cool: :)

My Axolotyl. He is gorgeous too

I will definately try the polar fleece as i have the kids old ones and he can have them. Hope he doesn't chew them to bits :):)

rastus_froggy you use real coconuts? Your dogs enjoy them? They are safe? Not something I would have thought of but it sounds great for my three.

My three (well mainly the puppy) will pull any bedding out of their kennel durning the day. We take the bedding out during the day and put it back at night, they leave it alone then.

Great ideas :) I would never have thought of a coconut. The skin wont hurt him if he eats it will it??? Guess not as it is all natural. As for the bedding I guess he will just have it at night. His kennel is fairly good and it is under a pergola next to the shed so it is fairly sheltered just that it is supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow. Not used to having a dog that prefers outside. All my others have been inside dogs.

Has anyone else used the coconuts??? Do you just give it to them whole?? :happydance2: :cool:

I buy the coconuts at the supermarket so they dont have the outer husk stuff just the brown hairy stuff. If she does manage to break it opne she just eats the coconut, I have never seen it said anywhere that its bad for dogs to eat so I let her go for it!! Probably not good if they eat the shell but she doesnt do that. I throw it around for her like it's a ball.

TB uses coconuts for her staffy too.

My friend has two cattle dogs and they are delightful girls, beautiful natured, but incredibly destructive!

We both bought our dogs the same kennel... Jak's is still in perfect condition and in one piece. My friend's Kennel lasted a day and a half. The girls destroyed it. It's made of wood. Hmm.

Oh, and they're 2 and 1 years respectively. Expensive doggies!

I used to buy Jak all kinds of bedding and she just kept tearing it up... Eventually I bought her one that she loves to lay in so she doesn't chew on it. Thankfully!

Rather than look in the pet section of the depertment store for dog bedding, look elsewhere and think outside the square. Try some cheap floormats.....either heavy duty carpet or coir or tightly woven rope. They might not be ideal for you and I to sleep on but we're not dogs and dogs don't generally need the same level of comfort you and I do.

Can I sound silly but What is a Texas T-Bone???

Thanks heaps

It's just a name they gave on one brand of chewable dog toys.

Actually, we left out on old kids rug (cheapie, vinyl back) and one of the dogs loves using it to lie on. ?Carpet offcuts, even the carpet samples they also sell?

We have this problem as well with one of our dogs. A friend suggested I get some Vicks vaporub and smear a small amount around the edgesof the bed.

Worked a treat - about 3 weeks now and all beds still remain intact! They still sleep on them but the smell must put them off tearing them up. We only use a small amount around very edges and we probably "top up" with a bit more every week or so

Thanks for the great ideas. I have found Clark rubber sell a pet mat that is apparently chew proof?? At the moment he is sleeping inside at night on a child's fold out lounge and has a mat in his kennel for the day. He seems to be ok with this but I have ordered in a chew proof mat (see how well it works) as he is now thinking he would rather sleep on our bed(or the kids) so might have to be put out at night now.

Will let you know if he doesn't destroy it

P.S. He loved the coconut and hasn't got through it yet!!! :laugh:

Guest Pandii

You can also buy dog blankets from the Op shops, not expensive and when the dogs have destroyed them throw them out and buy more.

I tried straw in my kennel and found it all over the back yard with in 24 hours

I have google coccnuts for dogs and found nothing, I am worried about the shell

You can also buy dog blankets from the Op shops, not expensive and when the dogs have destroyed them throw them out and buy more.

I have an old baby blanket of the kids that he sleeps on on the kids sofa and he hasn't chewed this yet :)

I have google coccnuts for dogs and found nothing, I am worried about the shell

I can't see it doing harm as it is natural but will check with vet tomorrow. Can buy ones without fur or skin though. He hasn't gotten that far with it yet :laugh:

Guest Pandii

Let us know what the vet says, I am intrested in feeding them to my dogs

Mine wont chew balnkets but most other things get chewed pretty quick