Shar Pei / Obedience Trialling?

post-16362-1185194747_thumb.jpgHi! just wondering if anyone is currently obedience training/trialling shar pei or has done so?? i m currently training my shar pei girl & she hopefully will be ready next year for trialling! have seen pei compete in agility but not obedience. also would like to know of any breed probs you may have had! please PM me if you know of any peis entered as i would be keen to come & watch! will travel to most states to watch how the peis go! would also love to know of any breeds that arent known for obedience & how they have done in trials! titles etc!( have tried the shar pei thread with no luck so far, we cant be the only ones obedience training :laugh: )

I have seen many unlikely breeds trialling, can't remember a Pei off hand though. You don't see many Bull Terriers, Bull Dogs, Sight Hounds, Danes or Mastiffs among others trialling. The working types have more often than not got a higher level of drive, and generally a higher percentage of the top dogs are working dogs, or gundog breeds. It is not uncommon to see Rotties and Staffys and crossbreeds are common.

Well I don't have a Shar Pei but I do have a Whippet. I don't think there are many of them in the trial ring either.

We just entered a mock trial on the weekend and got a nice passing score so I'm really happy and so proud of my boy. Next step is a real trial.

I have just started obedience with my boy, so defineately not up to the trialing stage. Peibe did say she had done training with her boy for a while, not sure how far she got though. I would like to do agility with him, but need him to be reliable off lead first. I think that will be the biggest hurdle for us. I am pretty sure I would have no problems with my young girl. She is bright and well behaved, but my boy is so much more fun to work with, with his enthusiasm. I find Pei to be very intelligent and very quick to pick up on things. Once they learn they do not ever forget (unless they choose to of course!LOL).

thats for the replys guys! any info on the pei in melb would be great! any photos of the whippet in the ring, and any other breeds would be good to see, will post photos of asia at training this sunday! currently trialling my rotty ruger & he has a staffy friend that competes with him ,there are quite a few at trials near us! dont see many different breeds out at trials love to watch all breeds but something different if it is a rarer breed! my shar pei is doing well but she is having trouble at night with shadows prob due to her entropion surgery, she can be quite jumpy. if it means only day trials thats cool with me, i think she still has it! :thumbsup: please keep me updated with rarer breeds in the ring!thanks!

Just noticed your in Adelaide. I have a brilliant dvd of some of your non typical breeds doing some fantastic stuff. The women on the DVD trained whippets for competition obedience but there is the most gorgeous basset hound on there as well as some others.

Are you entered next weekend at the GSD club?

Edited by ness

• 2 weeks later...
post-16362-1185194747_thumb.jpgHi! just wondering if anyone is currently obedience training/trialling shar pei or has done so?? i m currently training my shar pei girl & she hopefully will be ready next year for trialling! have seen pei compete in agility but not obedience. also would like to know of any breed probs you may have had! please PM me if you know of any peis entered as i would be keen to come & watch! will travel to most states to watch how the peis go! would also love to know of any breeds that arent known for obedience & how they have done in trials! titles etc!( have tried the shar pei thread with no luck so far, we cant be the only ones obedience training ;) )

Hi,

My name is Julie and I breed shar peis in Victoria under Needtoiron sharpei Kennels and yes I trial with my stud dog Bear (see pic). We have recently got our CCD title and am now in novice. Please contact me and I will be able to give you som tips.

post-20097-1186389120_thumb.jpg