Jak Gets Desexed Tomorrow :-(

Rhi*Jak*Ed

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

haha yes this is true! Unfortunately her "comeback" was only short lived. She put her mouth over the cord but couldn't seem to be bothered doing anything else. Normally she would grab it and run!!!

Well she really hasn't improved at all and I'm trying to get hold of the vet. She's still retching, still lethargic, still sad :-(

I've taken a couple of pics to show her sorry face... The one of her body from above shows where her ribs are now sticking out, whereas before her desexing she was quite full all along there, it's almost like she's now quite hollow past her ribs, I can't think of any other way to describe it.

Anyway, here's my girl, just 5 minutes ago...

post-16668-1185952587_thumb.jpg

post-16668-1185952597_thumb.jpg

post-16668-1185952604_thumb.jpg

I'm glad it's not just my eyes that can see it... I was wondering if I was overreacting or seeing something that wasn't there!

Well our favourite vet nurse just called back and she's booked her in for 9am tomorrow morning - she agrees that there should have been some improvement . She said Jak's stolen her heart :-) She got me to check her gums and to check for dehydration but all is good there.

Apparently they were worried that she had a twisted stomach...

Maybe I should now post on that thread about constant vet visits! ARGH!

She's hit the $1,000 mark this week (including the desexing). Lucky I love her lol.

I'm glad it's not just my eyes that can see it... I was wondering if I was overreacting or seeing something that wasn't there!

Well our favourite vet nurse just called back and she's booked her in for 9am tomorrow morning - she agrees that there should have been some improvement . She said Jak's stolen her heart :-) She got me to check her gums and to check for dehydration but all is good there.

Apparently they were worried that she had a twisted stomach...

Maybe I should now post on that thread about constant vet visits! ARGH!

She's hit the $1,000 mark this week (including the desexing). Lucky I love her lol.

:)

Yeah, I think you can now joine that vet bills thread!! :laugh: What price can you put on love? :eek:

Hope all is well tomorrow, I love that Jak has stolen the nurses heart :).

Good luck ;)

Edited by amypie

Ive been following this thread since the start, poor little Jak.

Makes me nervous about de-sexing my pup. It's crazy how fast it all happened, I wonder whats actually the cause all of it all?.

Good luck at the vet tomorrow.

oh Rhi I was hoping the next time I looked in here I would see that she made some improvement.

Has she eaten anything else today if so has she kept it down. That would be a good sign. I think she should be on some sort of medication to help with the retching. I don't understand why your vet has not done this. If she will not eat the i/d diet then some plain boiled chicken a couple of tablespoons with a teaspoon of cottage cheese every 3 to 4 hours would be a good alternative. Also just incase don't give her any milk. Just thought I would mention this just incase you are. It definitely would not be good for her tummy.

Did the vet ever show you her x-rays or just tell you about them. If you have not seen them ask to. Then let me know how many views they took. If she had a gastric torsion they would be getting you to rush her in I hope as dogs can die in a few hours when this happens.

Hope all goes well tomorrow.

Hi guys,

Well at about 7pm last night she started to look a bit more lively, which lasted for about half an hour and followed after she'd eaten some of the i/d food. She even started to look interested in her favourite teddy, which was great. But then she just laid down again and that was that for the night... Until 5.30 this morning when I awoke to her retching, except this time she actually vomited. Twice. Both times there was a white froth on top but it was yellow when I looked at the paper towel I'd used to soak it up. Lucky she's booked in to go back this morning...

The vet nurse said that they thought it might have been gastric torsion, but they have ruled that out (sorry I've just woken up so can't recall why they have ruled it out - will ask again when I take her in at 9). I was thankful to hear that though because I'd read on the net that chronic retching is a symptom of it.

The emergency vet took bloods in the wee hours of Monday morning and said that they came back all clear. I had to ring them when I got home to tell them the name of the painkillers she was on because I couldn't recall when I was actually there... (I'm certainly not one to have around in the case of an emergency!).

Today is Thursday, and the vomiting began late on Sunday night, with the retching continuing the entire time and a return of the vomiting this morning.

Not knowing what the cause of this is, and just waiting and seeing is not an option for me now and when I take her in this morning I'll be asking for as much information as possible. I am surprised that the vet allowed her to come home when she was still retching. Is this normal? I have no idea, this is all new to me.

Will keep you all posted :-)

Rhi & Jak

Ive been following this thread since the start, poor little Jak.

Makes me nervous about de-sexing my pup. It's crazy how fast it all happened, I wonder whats actually the cause all of it all?.

Good luck at the vet tomorrow.

Hi disorder,

Try not to be nervous about your pup getting desexed - I'm sure that Jak's case is not the norm (even though I'm still in the dark as to what's causing all of this). I worried sick about her procedure before, during and after, and I'm kicking myself for it now, wondering if in fact I'd been more positive would this have happened? Silly I know, but the thought is there nonetheless.

Thanks for your well wishes :-)

I had my Isabella de-sexed on Monday morning and she gone from 13.8kgs which was already waaaaaaay to thin (but i cant keep weight on her because she is nervy) to 11.9 in 3 days! She's not really eating and a bit lethargic but she is on pain killers so thats why she is a bit off. All she wants to do is sook. I know how you fell when the one you love is sick and you cant help them! It breaks your heart.

I agree Silverdog, if after this amount of time the vet has no idea id get a second opinion just to be sure. Couldnt hurt (well maybe your pocket :laugh: )

Isabella's de sexing and snip and tuck for her vulva, anti biotics, pain killers, pre surgery bloods, the bucket and various other things ive just clocked up to the $900 mark. Least we love them Jak and Rhi others would leave them entire and wouldnt care because "its too expensive" Bet they would be the first ones to scream if their bitch got pregnant! :)

Well here sending positive thought for you and Jak... Im sure everything wil; be ok ;) Probably just feeling a bit misserable from the anaesthetic still or somehting simple. Isabella sends Jak her sympathy too :)

Edited because i forgot to say.. NAAAAAAAW Jak is sooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!

Edited by goldiesRgreat

Hi guys,

Well we're back from the vet and also the chemist where I had to pick up some Gaviscon for her... She is now on antibiotics and has to have the Gaviscon straight after each meal. So far so good, she just ate AND swallowed the Gaviscon down. Woohoo!

The vet said that it's all in her asophygus and that there are no issues with her stomach. Her asophygus has been burned, and so long as she keeps her food, the antibitiocs AND the Gaviscon down, she should be fine in about 5-6 days. Although, I think maybe the food has given her some energy because she just tried chewing on my camera strap. Um, no girl!!! haha.

I'll be at home with her today and tomorrow and doing lots of washing. She has so far managed to pee on every doona and blanket that I own, and I have a guest coming this weekend (not the best timing but nothing I can do, their flights are booked), so she'll certainly need a nice clean doona. Hmm, oops! haha.

Anyway, will keep you all informed of her progress. Thanks again for everyone's kind words and well wishes, you've all been great and have certainly helped me through this ;)

Rhi & Jak

Hi guys,

Well there's no change in Jak - she's no better and she's also no worse, which is a good thing.

She did vomit overnight, and for the first time ever I slept through it. Yikes! So I'm not sure when it occurred, but it was her dinner and it was very yellow. She has not vomited today so has managed to keep her breakfast and all water down. Still lots of retching though I'm afraid.

I'm watching her like a hawk, and when I can't watch her (I've been busily cleaning the house getting ready for my guest), she's more than happy to just chill out in her crate. I was cleaning the oven earlier (horrible job), so I was crouched down, and she came and jumped up on my makeshift lap. Very weird! So I moved over on to the couch and she curled up in a ball in between my legs and slept for two hours. She's at my side now wanting to jump up for a cuddle. I'm loving the cuddles, but it's just not her haha.

The vet did say that it could still be 5 - 6 days before she's feeling like herself again, so I'm prepared for that. She does have little bursts of energy (usually after eating), but they don't last long and they seem to really tire her out.

I'd love to take her outside to get some fresh air, but I have many palm trees and so those hard little fruity things are all over the yard. Ordinarily I don't worry about her with them, she has a chomp then spits them out and finds something else. But knowing our run of luck lately, she'll probably swallow one, get it stuck and require more surgery! ARGH! lol. So inside she's staying...

I'm hoping for some clear signs of improvement by the end of the weekend :-)

Will keep you posted!

Rhi & Jak

Hi Rhi,

I am glad to hear she is no worse, but not glad to hear she is no better. These are my thoughts, did your vet test for coccidia, I am not a vet and not trying to contradict what he said but it does not make sense to me. I would think after a week even a burned esophagus would be getting better. Just how badly was it burned with the pain killers? If a dog can keep food down for a few hours and then vomit, to me it has nothing to do with the esophagus, and more so the stomach. Even although the dog may feel this in the esophagus it would try and retch straight after eating or even during not vomit up to 6 hours later. It seems to me it is when the food gets to the stomach that the problem is with. The yellow stuff you are talking about is bile and is produced from the stomach not the esophagus. Have you got a second opinion yet? I would certainly be doing this. If it has something to do with the stomach then the i/d diet may be too strong for her at the moment. I know this will not hurt her, but can you try 2 tablespoons of boiled chicken with one teaspoon of cottage cheese every 3 to 4 hours and see if she keeps this down. As always hoping she gets better soon. One other thing has she lost any more weight?

Edited by pinnacle dts