How Long Does A Season Last?

"girl" is my rescue from hp, she is 9/10, and at least 4 weeks ago came into season. she has been bred alot by the look of her under carraige, and came into the pound with her 12 month old daughter :(

its been a long time since i had an entire female, so can't remember how long a season should last.

hers has been very heavy, 2 weeks ago, we thought we might lose her ,due to losing so much blood, and a huge blood clot came out. i spoke to the vet, and sfter that she seemed to improve.

last week the bleeding stopped and she seemed to be on the up and up, back to barking at me for breakfast :rofl:

but 2 days ago the drip drip of blood started again :) is this normal?

girl has 2 tumours, one in her bladder, and one in her cervix, she is with me till she goes to the bridge.

should i be worried about how long it is going on? know every female is different,. and i don't know if this is normal for her ;)

tha gorgeous girl dog :(

post-3531-1185428816_thumb.jpg

No it doesn't sound normal juice, a season usually lasts about 21 days, I have one girl who bleeds right through (although the bleeding is very light), but the other bitch stops bleeding around day 12. Given her medical history I'd get it checked out. Poor old girl :rofl:

I lost my darling rescued Gloria (from Renbury) to ovarian cancer. She originally went to to rescue SA in April last year, got rehomed and then taken to the pound due to a relationship break up. She had obviously had many pups but was about 13 so I hoped she was desexed.

I brought her back from SA and had only had her a week when she came on heat. It was awful, even though my own males are desexed, 2 of them were quite interested - I had no idea this could happen. The season when on for 3 weeks and showed no sign of stopping so my vet decided to operate on her to investigate and desex at the same time. Gloria's insides were quite messy, probably due to years of producing puppies, my vet found a tumour and thought she'd removed it all, along with the desexing. Gloria started bleeding again 2 weeks later and my vet operated, removed some more tissue and the bleeding stopped.

6 months later, bleeding started again and Gloria acted like she was on heat but it was far worse. After 10 days or so, my vet decided to operate again and found that a huge tumour had grown and spread everywhere so we let her go. I was devastated. This probably would not have occurred if her owners had been responsible (the first owners, not the second) and desexed her as a younger dog.

Having said that, I treasure the 6 months we had, my dogs and I simply adored this wonderful old dog that still got so much out of life in spite of all that had happened to her.

post-4751-1185430297_thumb.jpg

Edited by dogmad

the vet has seen her several times, and had xrays, unfortunatley the tumour in her cervix is inoperable, even if we took the one out of her bladder. the vet said i was best just to let her keep going till life was to tough for her, as if she opened her up ,she would probably end up pts. :(

she still try's to come for a walk in the morning, but i make her stay home. i love the old girl dearly, she is such a trooper.

i suppose i'm scared of taking her to the vet in case its all over, she has been here almost 5 months now, and i suppose i just got complacent, thought the old boot would go on forever. :rofl:

i will call the vet for another chat.

Hi there,

So sorry to hear your girl's so ill. At least she's spending her last days with someone who cares about her...

How did you go with the vet? To me it doesn't sound like she's in heat - more likely to be a bleed from the tumour. I've never known a bitch in heat to bleed so much she passed a blood clot. Unofrtunately, perhaps the tumour has spread to her uterus as well? :D

Best of luck with her - I'm sending good thoughts for you both.

Edited by Tangwyn

waiting for surgery hours to end to give her a call.

it was definatley a season to start with, all normal to begin with, did the flipping tail to side when one of my boys had a sniff etc, just went down hill after :D

she has always passed blood in her urine since i have had her, she is incontinant, due to the size of the tumour in her bladder, no room for wee. :rofl:

but this is like a steady drip of bright red blood.