Puppy Really Scared Inside

ashan

Hi all. Firstly let me say my puppy is the most loved pup and is treated really well but lately he is really scared. When he comes inside (which doesn't like doing but we encourage as we want him to be an inside dog) he walks around with his ears flat and sulks. He lays on his bed and does not move until either the kids go to bed or everything is quiet. I know for a fact that my kids have NEVER hurt him as they have never been left alone with him although they are rather loud and yell at each other (don't know if this has anything to do with it). This is really starting to upset me because it is like he is really scared of us and we all really love him. He is a completely different dog outside though. He will play with kids and lick them all over. I am pretty sure he is in a fear period at the moment as he gets really scared going for a walk and takes some coaxing (never forced).Any help will be greatly appreciated.

post-18070-1185525498_thumb.jpg

Edited by ashan

It sounds like the kids making noise is what is upsetting him by the fact that you say he stays on his bed until they're gone. Perhaps just have his bed in a quiet out of the way place that he can feel safe in without the kids yelling & thumping around him. He needs his own space.

good luck

Linda

Thanks Linda, His bed is in my son's room but the kids don't go in there unless my son goes to bed. He is quite happy to lay on bed in there. He would however prefer to stay outside...I was wondering if some of the school kids that walk past might have done something to him (we live on a corner and have a see through gate on side).

Ashan, I honestly think you would benefit from consulting a good behaviouralist about your pup. Whilst you say that he is in a "fear imprint" period, this shouldn't mean that he is constantly fearful, especially in what are for him familiar surroundings. I gather from this, and other posts, that fear is a big issue for this little guy.

I'm not an expert on this (hopefully Erny or K9 or one of the other professionals will find this thread) but a constantly fearful pup sounds more like a temperament issue than a development phase.

This link explains what I'm talking about. I'm not confident this is something your pup will simply grow out of.

What's this pup's background? Where and when did you get him?

Edited by poodlefan

I gather from this, and other posts, that fear is a big issue for this little guy.

I agree poodlefan and I want to do anything I can to help him.

I'm not an expert on this (hopefully Erny or K9 or one of the other professionals will find this thread) but a constantly fearful pup sounds more like a temperament issue than a development phase.

I have contacted K9 about him but not for this problem specifically. I will contact him again asap

What's this pup's background? Where and when did you get him?

We got him 7 or 8 weeks ago from a rescue person on DOL and he was fine (other than walking on leash as was not used to it when got him) this seems to have started and gotten worse since the puppy preschool incident. The poor little guy stresses out so much when walked.

On a good note he was happily playing with kids tonight unitll miss 3 squealled and then he ran away but came back 1/2hr later.

I think seeing K9 is a great idea Ashan. Having a professional see your pup will give you an assessment to work from.

I think your little guy may be timid. I own a timid dog (not that most people would say that now) and the great news is that there are just so many things you can do to help them develop confidence.

I look forward to hearing how you go with K9 and to seeing this boy develop. I can tell you that provided you go in with the right attitude, agility is a fabulous confidence booster for dogs. :thumbsup:

I look forward to hearing how you go with K9 and to seeing this boy develop. I can tell you that provided you go in with the right attitude, agility is a fabulous confidence booster for dogs. :thumbsup:

Thanks Poodlefan I will let you know how it all goes. We are really wanting to get him into the agility cause he is really smart and learns things quickly but I will definatelt have to wait until I can sort this out first (don't want him to get any worse).

I am working on the kids too :worship: encouraging them not to yell and squeal while he is inside but they are normal kids and forget easily.

I am emailing K9 force now

Edited by ashan

Thanks Poodlefan I will let you know how it all goes. We are really wanting to get him into the agility cause he is really smart and learns things quickly but I will definatelt have to wait until I can sort this out first (don't want him to get any worse).

I am working on the kids too :worship: encouraging them not to yell and squeal while he is inside but they are normal kids and forget easily.

I am emailing K9 force now

Kids are kids Ashan.. most dogs adjust to family life and all its loudness :thanks: While you might succeed in training your kids to be quiet, visiting kids or kids in public are still going to yell and squeal.

Hi Ashan :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be too quick about pointing the finger at the "fear impact period" .... if my memory serves me (from a previous thread?), there are other issues which this guy exhibits. In the absence of being able to observe, it does sound as though timidness may be an inherent issue - or at least one that has been learnt through whatever experiences (or lack of) he's had in his very early days/weeks. I think I have also mentioned that changing homes can also impact on a dog's behaviour and his change of circumstances might in part have contributed to his present behaviour.

You definately need a behaviourist - I long to be able to begin prescribing a program for you here and now, but I cannot do so responsibly as what I prescribe may not be completely right for this individual dog and/or the possibility that my words might be mis-read and misunderstood.

Essentially though - this guy needs a 'safe haven' as already suggested here and crate training him can help there. You also need to make sure that you are not inadvertently rewarding his fear behaviour but are rewarding his more confident behaviour. He also needs a desensitisation program to help him overcome his evidentory fear of loud noise/boisterous human behaviour.

I can't recall how old your 'pup' is, but I don't think it will hurt him to take some gentle foundation lessons at agility. Working over agility type equipment can do wonders to boost a worried dog's confidence. If he's too young, avoid jumping and weaving, but otherwise some gentle hands-on guidance over and through other obstacles shouldn't hurt a young pup.

Agility is not all there is to it, though - so please don't clutch onto this as the be all and end all. The other things I've mentioned also need to be designed by way of program, and applied.

I think I've mentioned 'leadership' to you elsewhere too? A search of this DOL forum should give you loads of information, starting with (but not exclusive to) NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) and everything on your terms (including instigation of contact).

I know it is easier said than done - but if you can manage to scrape the finances together, a consultation with K9 Force will help you immensely and I very much doubt you'll regret seeing him - except maybe some regret for not seeing him sooner. :worship:

Edited by Erny

Agree with Erny.... foundation agility is a good way to assist a timid dog. Do let us know how you go with K9 and implement the suggestions given to you by both Erny and PF - good advice!!

Erny, Poodlefan and Kelpie-i you guys are the reason I joined this forum. The wealth of knowledge on here is fabulous. I have taken in all your ideas and suggestions and do everything in my power to make this little pup (he is 7mths) a confident little guy who can feel safe and secure. I have contacted K9force and will let you know how we go.

A great big thanks (Also from Lear)

post-18070-1185535820_thumb.jpg