What Type Of Bones?

zoo

What type of bones do you feed your dog/s? We feed chicken necks - but someone was telling me that lamb necks are better?

I've also been told about chicken wings, but how easy is it for a dog to choke on these?

What type of bones do you feed your dog/s? We feed chicken necks - but someone was telling me that lamb necks are better?

I've also been told about chicken wings, but how easy is it for a dog to choke on these?

A good guide on what type of bones to give a dog is.

If the dog chews and crunches the bones up then generally chicken necks, chicken wings, brisket bones and lamb necks are all good. However if the dog is a hoover and does not chew them then the above is not good to feed because the digestive juices in the intestine/ stomach have a hard time in breaking down the bones. In this case it is better to feed the large beef bones with the knuckles on each end cut in half across the bone not length wise., and bigger than the dogs mouth so that the dog has to gnaw on the bone and get the marrow out from the centre but cannot break into sharp splinter bits which they could swallow and cause harm to the dog.

Hope this helps you :thumbsup:

thanks guys.

Trainer from puppy classes told me that she has heard a number of cases of dogs choking on chicken necks - was told that lamb necks are a bit better.

With chicken wings etc - is it possible for bones to splinter inside the dog? For example, I know that chicken necks are only cartilege as opposed to actual bones/

I have a preference for chicken frames and Kangaroo tails. Both are too big to inhale and must be chewed. But both can be eaten in about 5/10 minutes so are not lying around for the dogs to fight over. I do also feed chicken necks as they are easiest to get hold of.

Thanks for the replies.

Has anyone ever heard of dogs choking on chicken necks? Checked with my vet about this and he said it is possible but it is also possible to choke on any number of small things - e.g. kibble.

Zoo,your Vet is right.I would go with Pinnacle"s advice.The Safety of certain types of Bones for Dogs comes down the individual habits of the individual Dog.If your Dog chews bones then the Wings are ok.If the Dog tends or trys to swallow whole then stick with bigger Bones. Tony

I have been giving mine chicken necks and frames. Have just started in the last week to give her lamb flaps which she also loves.

Local supermarket has the flaps so cheap so I have been stocking up on them.

Dogfish

Edited by Dogfish