How Much Barf?

My 2 labrador puppies weigh approximately 15kg. At 3% of their body weight, they should have 450g of barf food per day. Is this correct? It doesnt seem to be very much at all when if I was feeding them purely dry food, they should have 660g per day?

I am currently trying to feed them half advance anf half barf and I am worried I am feeding them way too much.

They currently get 2 meals per day each meal containing

110g advance dry food (1/3 of recommended daily amount over the day)

450 g barf - 1/2 pet mince, 1/2 fruit/veggie pulp (2 times the reccomended daily amount over the day)

They also get 2 chicken wings each per day.

They dont look fat, but I have only been feeding proper barf mix since saturday, please help

I don't weigh my dogs' food, I take their weight as a guide to how much to feed them from day to day. You should be able to feel the ribs without seeing them and they should have a defined waist line. If your pups have both of those I wouldn't worry how much you are or aren't feeding :)

Each dog differs, Cazzaritch. The guidelines are just that, GUIDELINES. You are the best at working how much you dogs need. If they are looking a little fat to you, reduce. If a little underweight, give more. As shek said, You should beable to feel their ribs when you run you're hand down their flank, but you shouldn't see them.

And don't let those labs fool you into thinking they need more :rofl::) Gluttons that they are :rofl:

Why are you feeding dry food with BARF ? If you see the benefits of Barf there really is no reason to add dry food. Also they digest at different rates, which can and does cause problems when feeding both. Firstly I would decide to stick with one or the other, there is no benefit to feeding both, when one or the other will suffice.

As with the amount, I agree with whats been said, you need to judge on your own dogs good health and condition and feed accordingly.

My guidelines say 2% of their adult body weight when they are adults, but as puppies it can be anywhere up to 10% depending on their needs and how much they are growing

Judge it by how they are looking each week, if they chunk up, reduce it back the next week, and if they get skinny add a bit more, as pups you will be continuously changing the amount they are eating until they reach a stable weight at adult age

Better to have a lean puppy than a fat one

I would also say get rid of the dry and probably add more bone & meat

Raw Meaty Bones 35%

Meat 45%

Offal 5%

Veggie 10%

Treats 5%

Edited by shoemonster

Thank you all so much for the advice. :laugh:

Since reading all of your comments, I have decided to stop the dry food, except to go in their buster cube for a bit of recreation. The only reason I kept it going was to make life easier for when we go camping. But instead we will be buying them their own esky and freezing batches to take with us instead.

I have also changed the balance of my latest batch to /3 pet mince, 1/3 veg pulp. I also throw in 1/2 tub yoghurt, 3 eggs and 3 cans sardines. They are loving it so much!!!

I will also be reducing the amount of the barf mix and increasing the bones a little, and adding some offal to the next batch, however, I think that there is some offal in the pet mince.

can I steal the thread slightly to ask approximately what the meat to bone ratio should be for the meaty bones? ie; how much meat on the bone.

I'm feeding a mix at the moment like wings, thighs, quarter chook, every other day a soup bone (bone too big to eat) and once a week chook frames (stripped of most meat) etc, then mince for his other meal - does this sound like it would balance out or does the edible bone amount need to be more regular?

Edited by Belijae

Raw Meaty Bones 35%

Meat 45%

Offal 5%

Veggie 10%

Treats 5%

Interesting, this is quite different to my own understanding and ratio's.

Personally for the newbie BARFer I see no harm with supplementing their puppies diet with a premium puppy food, an ill-ratioed or constructed BARF diet can be problematic with growing puppies.

As for percentage large breed puppies are fed around 5% of bodyweight.

Belijae - My diet consists of 60% RMB, if fed separately (meat & bone) the bone matter should be at least be half (30% of 60%)

Raw Meaty Bones 35%

Meat 45%

Offal 5%

Veggie 10%

Treats 5%

Interesting, this is quite different to my own understanding and ratio's.

Personally for the newbie BARFer I see no harm with supplementing their puppies diet with a premium puppy food, an ill-ratioed or constructed BARF diet can be problematic with growing puppies.

As for percentage large breed puppies are fed around 5% of bodyweight.

Belijae - My diet consists of 60% RMB, if fed separately (meat & bone) the bone matter should be at least be half (30% of 60%)

What would your recommended ratio be?

Today they have had the following each across the day.....

290g bones, chicken wings and lamb flap

450g barf mixture (2/3 meat 1/3 veggies)

Oh and the odd schmacko