Has Anyone Done The Tafe Dog Grooming Course In Adelaide?

Sally

Here's the link to the info about the course:

http://www.tafe.sa.edu.au/Portals/13/files...ogram_north.pdf

The Tafe one allows you to work in dog grooming after the course. There is also a WEA one which is not quite as intensive, and aims for you to be able to groom your own dog, rather than get a qualification. From memory the Tafe one is $480, and the WEA one was around $60, so there's quite a price difference there.

Guest kitakins

ive done it in perth and it was terrible to say the least. luckily i only wasted 170 bucks on it instead of 480! one can only hope the SA one is better. i suggest people do a lot of research into who is running the course before they sign up.

I have seen people on this site complain about the course interstate before, that's why I thought I'd ask if anyone has done it in S. A.

I'm not sure I'll get to do the course anyway. My husband and the rest of my family think I should use the qualifications I already have instead of doing dog grooming as a job. I may just do the Wea course so that I can learn to groom my own dog. That course is a lot cheaper.

Here's the link to the info about the course:

http://www.tafe.sa.edu.au/Portals/13/files...ogram_north.pdf

The Tafe one allows you to work in dog grooming after the course. There is also a WEA one which is not quite as intensive, and aims for you to be able to groom your own dog, rather than get a qualification. From memory the Tafe one is $480, and the WEA one was around $60, so there's quite a price difference there.

I will have to find out some more info on that course ;)

As an owner of a salon and as a person that has done a couple of animal courses at TAFE i would say that it is a waste of time. Especially if you are looking to become a groomer professionally. They show you breed specifics and how to use a hydrobath but it wont help you get a job. I wouldnt even consider that if i were looking at you as an applicant. Get a job in a salon and get training on the job. Its the only way to get really good. Especially if you have a great trainer and a bit of a creative flare.

If you want to groom for yourself for your own dog just do the WEA one. They will show you and teach you the basics on brushing, washing and clipping your own dog.

Hope that has helped.

ok changing mind now!! thanks goldiesrgreat for the warning! i think you just saved me some money!! so what do you look for in applicants that have no training? do you just go on personality? just interested...

Personality is the major componant. The most important. Confidence with the dogs, a good manner, proffessional and well groomed. Love of animals and the want to learn, eager to try new things and not be affraid of being chucked in at the deep end. Owning a dog yourself isnt nessesary. When i started at the company i hadnt had a dog for nearly 6 years and after taking over the business as my own i now have 2 of them. And i have a staff member who only has a cat.

I prefer peopel with no to little training because then i can train them how I want them to do things. But the previous owner had hired 2 women who ha d experience. They fine tuned their abilities and opened up their own business from home in direct competition.

But it wouldnt stop me from hiring someone with experience.

Edited by goldiesRgreat

• 2 weeks later...
ok changing mind now!! thanks goldiesrgreat for the warning! i think you just saved me some money!! so what do you look for in applicants that have no training? do you just go on personality? just interested...

Personality is the major componant. The most important. Confidence with the dogs, a good manner, proffessional and well groomed. Love of animals and the want to learn, eager to try new things and not be affraid of being chucked in at the deep end. Owning a dog yourself isnt nessesary. When i started at the company i hadnt had a dog for nearly 6 years and after taking over the business as my own i now have 2 of them. And i have a staff member who only has a cat.

I prefer peopel with no to little training because then i can train them how I want them to do things. But the previous owner had hired 2 women who ha d experience. They fine tuned their abilities and opened up their own business from home in direct competition.

But it wouldnt stop me from hiring someone with experience.

Hi

I too looked into the Tafe course but decided against it as it didn't seem to be very hands on. I have just done a 13 day salon based course in Perth which was 100% hands on and even now feel like i need more experience in a salon. If anyone knows of a salon looking for staff around Adelaide i would be very interested.

Angie

Edited by Muckypup

I did the WEA course here in Adelaide and it was very basic....i did it to learn how to look after my dogs and it was very helpful but it only covers basics like wash, dry, clean eyes, ears and trim nails ( not something i can do ) my groomer came out of the tafe course and she is fabulous, but she also has show dogs and knows a lot about the industry. i would probably do some hands on work in a salon before i spent any money on a course.

It would probably be good to spend some time doing work even for free as work experience to see if you even like it. That's what I'm thinking I might do one day. I get really dry hands, and I'm wondering if my hands could cope with all of the water and shampoo.

Who is your groomer pepsi bt? I'm looking for a good one here in Adelaide to take my dog to.

I did the WEA course and found it full of info, but it wasn't hands on, Even when it came to working with my own dog it was still difficult.

I think do can do all the theory work you like but nothing compares to hands on experience.

In Regards to a groomer here in adelaide, Try the Spoilt Dog on Fullaton Road in Highgate.

Found them to be friendly professional and best of all great dog handlers.

I am a bit funny with who i leave my girl with, But these people have been great.

Hope it helps

:banghead: