Most Stressfull 2 Days Of My Life So Far!

Well we did it... We got a standard poodle girl de-sexed on Monday morning and its been hell for us for the first 24hrs today is much better.

Its not the spey thats great and im ;) that I've had it dont but she also had another surgery while she was under... She had corrective surgery dont to her vulva to fix her "innie" I found out at 10 weeks old when i first got her from interstate by my vet about the problem (to which the breeder had not advised) I was told by the vet I had 2 options.. Ignore it and face a life of rashes, licking constantly, UTI's (Urinary tract infections) and it getting worse with age... Or corrective surgery. I found out on here that some bitches can correct it themselves by going through a season but i didnt want to chance my boy getting at her so i opted to spey before her first season at 6 months. So the big descision... Do i put her through 2 surgeries or one? I couldnt leave it go because as it has been for the last 4 months i have been putting cream on her vulva in an attempt to prevent rashes tht were getting realy bad from her licking all the time!

So Monday came and in she went and :) I had no idea it would look how it does! She had a frowning face around her vulva inbetween that and her bum! there are atleast 12 stitches! One saving grace is that she is healing fast and is already formed a nice scab where the incision is. Its hard for her becasue her spey line is not bothering her but her fanny is. If she sits wrongly it hurts and she cant bite it becaue shes got a bucket on. she looks ridiculous :laugh:

The vet took 2.5cms of skin and a chunk of fat from around her vulva :) poor thing. But she's doing well very veyr sooky la la but thats ok she gets lots of extra cuddles and her brother cant figure out whats wrong with her and is all whingy too.

Well i just wanted to share my experience incase it was of help to anyone if they have a dog with an inverted vulva.

Thanks for listening

Ooooh, my little girl has an 'innie' too. She's a 10 month old lab x rescue who was desxed at 8 weeks. She has had 3 urinary tract infections so far, I've gone through two tubes of Neocort and one of panolog and countless antibiotics - not to mention xrays and ultrasounds. She's constantly licking that area (which makes the rash worse) and is prone to submissive urination which means the area never dries out.

Our vet has mentioned surgery, which I think we will probably have to do. However, he has her on hormone therapy at present to see if that changes anything phisically as he though it may have been lack of hormones that caused it.

But reading about your girl, maybe it's just something that happens to some as she wasn't desexed early. Please keep us updated on her progress - poor baby with bucket on her head and an itchy fanny.

Hi Benny.

I would say stop the hormone therapy... Its generally not caused but a lack of hormones rather than a freak of nature as I understand it. I asked my vet about the hormones and she told me that they very very rarely work because there is not a huge cause. They think my little girl has it because she was very tiny, she was the runt of the little and also she the vet said that how, where and what lineage has something to go with it too. If she was an younger dog when she was speyed then chances are it wouldnt have made a difference if she were older. From the time i found out she had it at 10 weeks nothing changed accept the skin fold got fatter and made it look worse... to my knowledge if age didnt fix it, the hormones wont either.

Its so hard to always put ointment on. I have been using filterbak. Its anti bacterial and a barier cream. Give that a go see if it helps. Funny you say your girl is a submissive urinator because my girl was too as a little baby.

Its a hard thing to go through with you girl because they get so distressed.

Now i wish ids taken before and after shots for people.

Ill kep everyone posted

Ooooh, my little girl has an 'innie' too. She's a 10 month old lab x rescue who was desxed at 8 weeks. She has had 3 urinary tract infections so far, I've gone through two tubes of Neocort and one of panolog and countless antibiotics - not to mention xrays and ultrasounds. She's constantly licking that area (which makes the rash worse) and is prone to submissive urination which means the area never dries out.

Our vet has mentioned surgery, which I think we will probably have to do. However, he has her on hormone therapy at present to see if that changes anything phisically as he though it may have been lack of hormones that caused it.

Did the vet call this condition "infantile genitalia"? I have been making enquiries re early desexing, but my vet won't do them before 4 months because of this problem. I will be interested to hear if the hormones make any difference, but it may be too late by now.

Did the vet call this condition "infantile genitalia"? I have been making enquiries re early desexing, but my vet won't do them before 4 months because of this problem. I will be interested to hear if the hormones make any difference, but it may be too late by now.

No, the vet didn't mention that. I've re-read goldiesRgreat's first post and our girl doesn't have the 'frowning face', but her vulva is really recessed. However, you can see it a bit when she's on her back with her legs spread, but when she is standing, sitting etc it's totally engulfed by her thighs. I think the vet is hoping it may swell a bit with the hormones but I do think surgery will be the only option.

The frowning face is the cut the vet has made for correction of the "innie" not what it looked like before. It was descirbed to me as malconformation of the vulva. Inverted. Thats what the vet said to me and that dogs are just born with it. When you look at Her from behind you could only see a fat fold and when She was on her back you could barely see the longest tip of her vulva. I had to really pull the skin and fat away to be able to see the slit and put cream on it all the time. Now that she has had the surgery you can see about half her vulva sticking out from inbetween her thighs from behind when she walks. Much more normal. My niggest bitch in this is that i didnt know about this when I bought her... Wouldn't have mattered because i would have taken her anyway but wouold have been nice to know so i could prepare myself for the $$$. Im SO happy with the result because we ahd been having a lot of trouble toile training. She would wee all the time but not I have to really wait for her to wee when i take them outside. Last night was the first time ive gone out since we got her and found no wee on the floor in the back room. Its done wonders!

Yes D&D I do have a goldie and there are pics of him in the breed subforum of him. I had him firs tbut he's been a breeze to own. His names Rico. Been following you handsome dogs and all you piccies.

Edited by goldiesRgreat

The frowning face is the cut the vet has made for correction of the "innie" not what it looked like before. It was descirbed to me as malconformation of the vulva. Inverted. Thats what the vet said to me and that dogs are just born with it.

Yes D&D I do have a goldie and there are pics of him in the breed subforum of him. I had him firs tbut he's been a breeze to own. His names Rico. Been following you handsome dogs and all you piccies.

'Inverted' rings a bell. How is she going now? Feeling a bit better I hope.

She is healing really fast! Finds it a little hard to get comfortable with the elisabethan collar on but at least she can't eat her stitches which she would be doing if she weren't wearing it. He brother hates it too because she hits him in the head with it. :laugh: We had to move our lounge suite because she couldnt fit between :D And she keeps hitting me in the back of my knees with it when she wants attention. It wasn't meant to be a toy to terrorise her family with. :laugh:

Its funny that she is toilet traing NOW because of the surgery. Just shows unconfortable it must have been to be urinating all the time and now not to be. She is such a good girl. Im so proud of her!

Well 7 days later and things are going great! All is healing well and her vulva looks NORMAL!!!!!!!!! ;) She can urinate normally and is also urinating less fequently :rofl::rofl::rofl:

She is still sooking alot but i think she is just trying to milk it. Ive still got the bucket on her head for the momnet and until i feel confident that she wont lick and bite the stitches and as its really itchy at the moment i think ill leave the bucket on till later in the week. But i definately think its worth the stress to have it done.

Benny123 i hope your girls doing well!

• 1 month later...

Just an update on Beanie, with the hormone treatment for her inverted vulva. She has been on Stilboestrol (sp) since mid July. She started on 1 tab per day for 5 days then 1 per week and she has 18 weeks of tablets left. She now has an 'outie'. Not sure what will happen when the tablets are finished but so far, so good. She hasn't had any UTIs or rashes for weeks and we haven't had to apply any cream. It looks totally normal so I've got everything crossed but will have to wait and see what happens after 18 weeks.

goldiesRgreat, how is your girl now?

Just an update on Beanie, with the hormone treatment for her inverted vulva. She has been on Stilboestrol (sp) since mid July. She started on 1 tab per day for 5 days then 1 per week and she has 18 weeks of tablets left. She now has an 'outie'. Not sure what will happen when the tablets are finished but so far, so good. She hasn't had any UTIs or rashes for weeks and we haven't had to apply any cream. It looks totally normal so I've got everything crossed but will have to wait and see what happens after 18 weeks.

goldiesRgreat, how is your girl now?

Im so glad to hear its worked for you benny!!!!

Shes going well.. Totally toilet trained now, no rashes, UTIs, constant licking. Nothing. Healed very quickly a little longer and you wont ever be able to see where they shaved her!

Shes doing so very well!!!!!

Im glad I did it. Now shes on clomical for anxiety and we have a trainer helping us with her fearfullness. so all in all things are looking up for my little mutt butt :rolleyes: