Most Enthusiastic Client

Turned up to wash a newfy today, beautiful big black boy called Sampson. He is about 4 yrs old and they rarely wash him as they dont feel it is good for him.

Meaning, he hasnt had very many hydrobaths. I washed him a couple of times when he was about 11 - 12 months old, and he was very lively, tho a pretty well behaved boy.

Anyway, i pulled up, opened the back of the trailer, and in front of the gate to my hydrobath was a big storage container holding my blow dryer, i dont have it mounted to the trailer as on rainy days i can move my 'drying station' into a garage (nothing worse than trying to blow dry a dog in the rain..... kinda doesnt work).

So Sampson comes charging down to the trailer, remember i havent seen him for over 3 years, and dives headlong into the bath - over the back step of the trailer and large storage container and just sat there. I wasnt even ready for him. He wasnt moving until he had had his bath. I hadnt even said hello to him let alone 'come on boy, into the tub'. It was hilarious. He stood quietly for me for his tub, which he thoroughly enjoyed, and then stood on the back step of the trailer for his blow dry without even a murmer. Of course, when i got his 'good dog biscuit' out of the container, all bets were off and i got newfy cuddles aplenty - complete with front paws around my shoulders and slobbery kisses to boot.

I have to say it was a lovely way to end the working week - covered in newfy slobbery biscuit crumbs and a big smile on my face. Gotta love those big hairy beasts!!!

I love the doggies like that :laugh: I have a handful but my favorite is Max, Goldie x Lab, and always always tries to get into his bath before I have even said Hello, brushed him, anything. I dont even tie him in the trailer as it is hard yakka trying to get him out !!

As soon as I open that bath door his is in and sitting in 2 seconds flat, then when its time to blow dry, he lies, belly up on the floor of the trailer, four legs spread open, with his eyes closed :rofl: However, it does make it quite difficult to dry his back as all he wants to do is roll over and snooze :o

Lol, I had a GSD that used to start going nuts as I pulled into the driveway. I would just open the gate and he would bolt around, hop in to the trailer and straight in the bath. The owners only used a groomer because the doggie loved it so much. ;)

I just hope Archie is as happy on Tuesday when he gets groomed by a pro. I felt a right eegit when asked " What breed is he?" and by chance there was a Cavaleir King Charles Spaniel sitting waiting on her Mummy or Daddy. I pointed at her and said - "A bit like that one but not those colours" - "I don't know what to do with his ears" I didn't realise/know that a CKCS and a KCS were different breeds.

Archie was originally coming his holidays while his Mummy got better(she's very ill but realised she couldn't care for him) but it looks like he's gonna be a fixed addition to our family. His Mummy has been ill for a long time and getting progressivly worse and hasn't been able to keep up the grooming progamme as she has in the past. Don't think bad of her, she was doing best she could and he wasn't neglected but she couldn't keep his coat the way it should be for a pet. So we have to learn how to look after his coat properly. We have been combing and brushing him while waiting on Tuesday to come for the last 6 weeks. The professional groomers where I live are booked up 4-6 weeks in advance. Thankfully he's not a show dog or a stud dog. We have been cutting any tangles we can't brush out as I read that tangled hair could lead to his skin getting sores, so the odd funny looking bit on his coat is allowed - I think. He does now bomb about the place with a hair bobble on his ears (not tight)- just before and after food times, not all the time. A DOLer suggested it was OK - and it must do wonders for his ears - my opinion. Gawd can they get in a state. The poor wee soul has the Combat Corgis in his face after every meal time cleaning his ears.

Archie is a gorgeous wee thing. Any advice on how to groom him between "pro" shots is most welcome. The ears is my main concern

Poodle, dont know if it was me he loved or the bath.... i think both. I just thought it was hilarious as he was not hydrobathed regularly, and i had only been there with my trailer twice before, and more than 3 years before. He is a funny character - definately loved his life to the full.

Jules, i have several regulars like that - mostly labs - they just dive in and wait for their tub.

MM - i would have a slicker brush handy and just run it through his ears daily to ensure no knots start up. After eating and drinking of course, but you seem to have that nailed with the bobble. Any other long bits, feathering on legs and his tail, just keep up with the brushing with a slicker and you should be fine. It's way more than some of my clients do... I guess their presumption is that since they pay me once a month or whatever, they dont need to brush them in between... ah well.

Good on you for taking the little fella on.