Good Diet For Little Fatty

SueM

I am struggling to get some weight off my little dog, has anyone got any good dieting tips,he is on pheno due to having suspected epilepsy,I have cut his food back, giving him more exercise he was 4.1kgs 2 weeks ago and when I weighed him on the same scales yesterday he was 4.2kgs, he needs I hope to lose at least a kilo....

Bikkies :thumbsup: no no bikkies, he was getting nutro, but I have him on eukanuba light which is not working he has gained weight, also a good low fat treat suggestions for training, I will have to stop the instructors from giving in to his big eyes all the time as well :clap:

I was going to go the barf way as Canine Country have a complete mix made up and its pretty cheap will list ingredients see what you think Peibsy hehe

beef,fine ground beef bone,heart,fruit (apple,pear. Veggies (pumpkin,beans,eggplant,carrot,zucchini etc.) Yoghurt,eggs,garlic flaxseed.kelp, they sell it in 1kg frozen tubes for $2.50

Oh damm no more liver treats arrghhhh I dont use food rewards often now for training but still do on occasion what to give the wee chap I have those natures gift treats they do say low fat on them hmmm, ok off to canine country I go :thumbsup:Midget Guts isnt that keen on swimming either, have taken him to the beach a couple of times but he swims better than I do :thumbsup:

Edited by varicool

I had to get weight off Gracie the tibbie....on instructions of the vet. She put on weight just thinking about dinner time & was a real porker.

This is what has worked well for her....& made her coat look beautifully healthy:

Mainstay of her diet is Tuckertime dog roll (chicken & rice) only from vets. Very nutritionally dense so a little goes a long way. (portion per kilo dog weight is given on the roll). I add grated raw carrot for feeling 'full' in tummy (Dr Harry's old trick).

Little....very little... sprinkling of a quality dry food (Science Diet. small, seniors).

Only treats are the Eukanuba ones for small dogs....& a couple of petite Greenies a week for teeth.

Oddly....all of this has proven economical, too. Gracie is much trimmer.

Edited by mita

Bikkies :thumbsup: no no bikkies, he was getting nutro, but I have him on eukanuba light which is not working he has gained weight, also a good low fat treat suggestions for training, I will have to stop the instructors from giving in to his big eyes all the time as well :clap:

Nutro do make a Light as well

thanks for all the tips the drugs do make them put weight on so its a tough battle of the bulge, I got some barf today so will try a bit of a change to see if it has any effect on him...

carrots are another good fill. My dogs love them raw . . . hence I don't bother with pumpkin.

But the basic way to get a dog to loose weight is to use a balanced diet, and keep reducing portions until the dog starts dropping weight.

Good luck on the epilepsy thing. Hope it turns out to be a passing worry.

He came in giving me the googly eyes I am starving look but I was strong and will stick to a balanced barf meal at night and see how we go, hopefully as I am reducing his meds on vet advice he may be able to be off all medication by the end of the year, no seizures for 3 months now :laugh: Its hard knowing how much to feed such a small dog..