Pup On Furniture

PeppersMum

We have a 3 month old Chinese Crested Pup that has been allowed on the couch and bed (not that I really like this) with us for the last month. At first it didn't seem to be an issue because she couldn't get up herself but now she is turning into a projectile puppy and will launch herself up and often towards our heads. I know that we were bad to allow this and would now like to correct this behavour before it gets worse.

What ways can I use train her to sit on the ground? I have tried putting her down, telling her "NO" and she sits and looks at me a minute, growls and does it again so I think it is a game. We tried a time out method for a while but she doesn't seem to understand that. I am new to this puppy thing and really have no idea.

No, you are not "bad owners". I think you may be confusing two issues.

Many many people (including me) allow their dogs access to the furniture. Many don't. Where you allow your dog to go is your decision.

How she is allowed to access it is another matter. You could insist that she sit before being allowed up, or that she is only allowed up when she is invited by you, rather than whenever she likes. You could also deny her access completely if that is your preference.

I'd strongly recommend you take her to a decent obedience trainer or school to learn the basics of establishing a relationship with her that's based on respect and compliance with your cues.

As a well known dog trainer puts it best "it's not whether your dog is allowed on the furniture that's important, but whether they'll get off it if you ask them".

One piece of advice I give all puppy owners is never to allow behaviour from a pup that you will not wish to see in an adult dog. Dogs learn best what they learn first. It's far easier to discourage behaviour you don't like than to have to train a dog out of it.

Have you seen the Chinese Crested thread here on DOL? :eek:

Don't forget that she is young, agile and will get excited! It's learning how to focus and direct her intelligence and enthusisam that's the challenge.

Edited by poodlefan

well said, poodlefan :eek:

yep...hamlet is allowed on the couch, and one of the other dogs gets to sleep on her bosse's chair when vacant.BUT they will jump straight off when asked, and don't get on beds etc.

It depends what you want .

Pepersmum, not 'bad' owners, but 'learning' ones :mad

PeppersMum .... not to take away from PF's post, which as usual was a good one, given that your dog has 'learnt' the behaviour she is currently exhibiting you need to be able to prevent it in those times when you are unable to supervise, guide and insist on the limitations and boundaries you set.

Crate training your dog would be very handy (for more than just this reason). If your dog sleeps in your room you can then crate her through the night and this will prevent her from jumping up on your bed when you are (or are trying to get some) sleep.

Throughout the day leave the door to the bedroom closed when you can't supervise and train for the new behaviour you want.

Poodlefan :

I'd strongly recommend you take her to a decent obedience trainer or school to learn the basics of establishing a relationship with her that's based on respect and compliance with your cues.

I completely agree. Sounds to me like your little girl doesn't respect you. A trainer/behaviourist will be able to go through and explain and demonstrate how to be pack leader to your dog and doing this will earn the respect of your dog.

Edited by Erny

I'd also be concerned about her injuring herself jumping on/off furniture with growing bones.

I think if you're having problems with a dog, they need to stay off the furniture. Later on, be more relaxed about it. If a dog ever growls when you ask them to get off the lounge, you shouldn't have let that dog on in the first place- they see themselves as the leader, not you, and you need to take over that role ASAP.

My older dog has a dominant temperament and getting him off lounges and beds was a really helpful part of re-establishing leadership in our house. He'd promoted himself to no. 2 (after me) and nipped the husband. We also have kids. Both dog and husband are much happier with dog back down the ladder. He now has a standard poodle to boss around :rofl:.

We have a 3 month old Chinese Crested Pup that has been allowed on the couch and bed (not that I really like this) with us for the last month. At first it didn't seem to be an issue because she couldn't get up herself but now she is turning into a projectile puppy and will launch herself up and often towards our heads. I know that we were bad to allow this and would now like to correct this behavour before it gets worse.

What ways can I use train her to sit on the ground? I have tried putting her down, telling her "NO" and she sits and looks at me a minute, growls and does it again so I think it is a game. We tried a time out method for a while but she doesn't seem to understand that. I am new to this puppy thing and really have no idea.

Teach her to sit and wait for you to let her up. If she jumps up by herself put her back down and ask her to sit.

If your puppy is growling at you, puppy doesn't think much of you as a leader and needs to be put back in its' box.

Small dogs are also known for injuring themselves jumping off beds and sofas so perhaps just keep her on the floor, you can teach her this by just placing her on the floor each time she gets up.

I'd reccomend the below reading material to assist you going forward:

1) Understanding the different phases puppies go through: http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=develop.html

2) TOT: http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=tot.html

3) A program every dog should be on: http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=nilif.html

4) A great book called Dog Listener by Jan Fennell.

Good Luck :laugh:

Edited by sas

hi there, i have a chihuahua that is about 1.5yrs and when he was younger use to jump up on the couch all the time whenever he felt like it and wouldnt get down till i put him down. so we started to use just one word "down" and pointing our finger to the ground, eventually he got the idea and now when he jumps up and we say 'down' he'll just get down. recently we got another puppy a staffy and did the same thing with her, shes 4 months old and totally obeys the rules. worked well for us, dont feel bad, you'll get over it and so will your pup. hope this helps.