Poodle Ear Problem

Poodles are well known for ear problems, I wouldnt think there to be any one problem in particular though. Many get fungal/yeast infections, some suffer allergies, food allergy to cereals & grains cause ear infections (most dog foods contains cereals /rice/pasta!!!)......Could be ear mites also..........I have seen many a Poodle with pseudanomas ear infections too :rofl:

The dog should be seen by a Vet just in case the ear drum is perforated, as lotions & potions put in the ear with a perforation can be very serious trouble.......

Poodles ears need to be plucked at least monthly, and many have good results with keeping them clean using Vinegar & water 1:4 as vinegar will dry them out.

What do you need to know about ? What sort of problem ?

on phone with poodle breeder thanks

i posted as i was having a hard time getting in touch with the breeder as she was out looking for a rescue dog that had escaped someones yard, sorry if i ticked anyone off, was just trying to get information :rofl:

and i have more info now so thanks to those who did post to help :rofl:

Any floppy-eared breed is at more risk for ear problems as they get less air flow into the ear.

Need plucking regularly- powder makes it easier to grab the hair. You don't have to pluck it all out, but enough to promote air flow.

I leave my standard's ears pretty much alone as they're never a problem. The smaller, mini poodle seems more prone to smelly ears, so has them cleaned more often to avoid this.

Can clean ears with a Malaseb: water combination, diluted 1:50. Malaseb is an antibacterial/ antifungal shampoo. I didn't make it up, many vets use this.

Depending how bad the ears are, would suggest going to the vet who can prescribe an antibiotic-antifungal medication and/ or treat mites.

ETA: Chronic ear problems seem to sometimes go with allergies/ skin problems in many breeds. Change of diet (e.g. more raw, less processed) can sometimes help.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Im using malaseb on two bitchs atm.

Their ears are getting much better. Its been 3 days now on no scratching or whinging. Off the record some poodles need doing weekly. If they have the same UK line I have then the hair just grows so quickly, and you cant see the ear at all :rolleyes:

Sivaro, JAG and poodlefan + others know lots more about poodles than me!

Hope pf doesn't mind, but this is the "ears off" clip on one of her dogs, Ted. I saved it because he looks so cool (& can't find a link). Would be a good clip if ears are a chronic problem. Is also practical for less grass seeds etc.

I think Sivaro has a nice photo of a Bedlington clip (ears shaved off, tail shaved off), too, but I can't find it :rolleyes:.

post-6819-1187264469.jpg

Schnauzerlover, I think i am just going to trawl around following your threads... :( You are a newbie and, pretty much every time you post, someone jumps down your throat or hijacks your thread in a totally unjustified way. is this really what these forums are coming to? newbies need very thick skins??? because they will not be treated with respect or given the benefit of the doubt :laugh:

I admire you for your persistence! (and welcome BTW)

If the problem is yeast infections, removing wheat from the dog's diet can really help. I know a standard poodle whose chronic infections cleared up with that step alone.

I'm definitely an advocate of ear plucking too. I don't use any form of ear cleaner and touch wood none of my dogs has had any ear issues.

ahhhhh the ears. Now our puppy just hates having the fur pulled from his ears. I couldnt trim his face, but the place I took him to - to have it done, didnt have a problem. I think he has me trained. Dont touch my ears, thank you. The people who trimmed him told me to keep doing it often, til he gets used to it. I've been doing that and he isnt complaing quite as much.

ahhhhh the ears. Now our puppy just hates having the fur pulled from his ears. I couldnt trim his face, but the place I took him to - to have it done, didnt have a problem. I think he has me trained. Dont touch my ears, thank you. The people who trimmed him told me to keep doing it often, til he gets used to it. I've been doing that and he isnt complaing quite as much.

I've taken advantage of the fact our standard likes to stick his head thru people's legs. Good way to hold him still with 2 hands available to get to the ears :whiteflag:. A little ear powder helps you grab the hair, a little at a time.