Behavioural Help Needed Please

What can I do :mad

Has anyone ever had this problem ??

Our GSD wees in the car, he sits in the foot well but the thing is that he does show any sings that he is having a wee!!

he just lies quietly on the floor, he doesnt even try to get up.

He seems happy to lay there.

He is 14 weeks old and is not a nervous traveller.

He is in the car about twice a week & has been since 8 weeks old.

HE never wees on the way to anywhere, only the way back.

Any ideas anyone?

Maybe he needs to go when you are out but is still uncertain in new places? And feels comfortable in the car? As he is still young, his bladder is small.

Some dogs only like to toilet when/where they feel comfortable. The first time I took Diesel (also a GSD) to a workshop at K9 Force's place, he didn't wee all day! Like 8 hours! Now he will go when we are out, though still prefers to poo in the yard.

Do you have a toilet command? Maybe purposely walk him around before you get back into the car with the toilet command and try to encourage him to go before you head home.

Maybe he needs to go when you are out but is still uncertain in new places? And feels comfortable in the car? As he is still young, his bladder is small.

Some dogs only like to toilet when/where they feel comfortable. The first time I took Diesel (also a GSD) to a workshop at K9 Force's place, he didn't wee all day! Like 8 hours! Now he will go when we are out, though still prefers to poo in the yard.

Do you have a toilet command? Maybe purposely walk him around before you get back into the car with the toilet command and try to encourage him to go before you head home.

Hi Kavik, This is the amazing/strange/frustrating thing about the weeing in the car, he will wee on command at home and 50% of the time when we are out. But similar to your dog, he wont wee on the lead during training until I finish & walk him around giving him the command to wee, this takes about 20 mins though.

So why is he laying down & weeing, surely most dog would at least sit up?

Have you thought about having a vet check up, there can sometimes be medical related problems.

Otherwise i would maybe look at doing a lot of short trips and rewarding the heck out of him when he wees after getting out of the car (whether you ask for it or not). Remember 14 weeks is still extremely young and can still developing bladder strength and control.

Have you thought about having a vet check up, there can sometimes be medical related problems.

Otherwise i would maybe look at doing a lot of short trips and rewarding the heck out of him when he wees after getting out of the car (whether you ask for it or not). Remember 14 weeks is still extremely young and can still developing bladder strength and control.

I hadnt thought of a vet check up but I give it a go.

We will try shorter drives, around the block kind of thing and see how he goes but in the meanwhile we still have to do longer trips to training.

I always praise him when I see him wee, even if I didnt ask him to.

I think I have had a small breakthrough tonight because he had a wee within 30 seconds of me asking him too rather than the normal 10 to 20 minutes.

NW,

Good points of course. As I assumed the pup had recent innoculations, I missed the obvious.

Try to take a sample of Maverick's urine as well, in a clean container. Warm soapy container, not recently disinfected. If you need any advise in obtaining an urine sample, let us know.

K9: I will preface this to say I havent seen your dog nor your dog in "action" so to speak but...

A dog laying down & releasing urine is very rare, a dog laying down & leaking urine is not uncommon.

There is a muscle in some dogs that is weak due to several influencing factors that will cause this very thing.

There is a syrup on the market that targets this muscle & improves its function, you will need to have a consult with your vet & have some presecribed...

It may be that you have concentrated on getting your dog to wee on command to much and he is now confused. I am not sure if this is what you have done but would like it if you let me know. If this is the only place he does it I can't see how it is weak bladder muscles.

But a vet check would be a good idea.

I know you said the first time he did it in the car you roused on him through frustration, this also could be a contributing factor. The vibration of the car itself may also have something to do with it. Depending on whether you toilet the dog before returning home in the car or not. Which from memory I think you said you do.

I would stop all toileting on command for now, and go back to toilet training in the way of when your dog eats let it toilet without words or praise and when it plays let it toilet without words or praise and when it wakes up from sleep toilet it without words or praise and when it drinks toilet it without words or praise. Just provide the opportunity for the dog at these times and be patient until the dogs does do the toilet. Just let the dog pee normally for a while without interaction from you and I am sure he will be fine.

Hi,,your baby (yes, he is still very much a baby) may just be "busting to go" after a trip..and the realxing , plus the bumping causes him to let go.

Could you maybe, next trip..take a very small amount of soil with his urine smell on..put it down somewhere without his knowledge, then suggest he toilet near the spot? He may feel that it is ok to wee there, as he seems to have done it there before :laugh:

All supposition.... but my guess is the stimuli are just too strong for a full baby bladder to resist :thumbsup:

Thank you all for your input.

I dont think it is a weak bladder as he doesn't urinate in his bed, but I have a vet app for next week. (he has had vaccinations)

I can get a urine sample no worries but what would they test it for?

Neither do I believe I have over toileted him as he sleeps outside all night, it would only be about twice a day I get him to wee on command.

I think that the soil Idea is great in theroy but not really acheivable because I would end up digging up my lawn every time we go in the car.

I do think that I will change the toilet spot and take him out the front lawn so that he can get use to weeing in different spots.

We have had success at the last training day, I put him in and empty grassed run and he wee'd on my command within 2 minutes but he wouldnt do it whilst on the lead.

Thank you for your input and your ideas, I will let you know how he goes over the weekend and at the vets. :)

Might be trying your idea persephone!! (I will try this tomorrow if I can get him to wee on the dirt today & not the grass, we have training tomorrow)

We went to a kids party 1.5 hours from home today, it started out well, Maverick had a wee before getting into the car but about 1 hour into the trip he wee'd, this is a first, normally it is the way home. He spends 2 to 3 hours inside our house at a time and never urinates inside.

We where at the party for 2 hours and yes he did drink. I tried to get him to wee before we left but no luck, we stopped about 10 minutes down the road for about 10 minutes for him to have a wee but again, no luck. He made it home without weeing in the car and had a wee when I took him to his "spot". So somehow I have trained him to go in one spot only I think :)

As I was sitting in the passenger seat & hubby was driving I was able watch him closely but I still couldnt tell when he was weeing. I did notice at one stage that his breathing became faster though.

Do you think he will grow out of it when he matures and uses urine to mark things, ie empting his bladder?

Haven't read every post but I think you said he lays down in the floor well of the car?

Does he pee if he is travelling on the back seat of the car?

Perhaps an experiment with this would help, to determine as to whether he is uneasy with his present travelling position.

Haven't read every post but I think you said he lays down in the floor well of the car?

Does he pee if he is travelling on the back seat of the car?

Perhaps an experiment with this would help, to determine as to whether he is uneasy with his present travelling position.

This would be a good experiment but the backseat is full of kids. HE still has a lot of room in the footwell and he likes to put his head up on the seat. He has been in the footwell since he was a pup and he seems very relaxed there, he also jumps in to the car very willing.

As I was sitting in the passenger seat & hubby was driving I was able watch him closely but I still couldnt tell when he was weeing. I did notice at one stage that his breathing became faster though.

I have popped in to read your thread from time to time and must admit that "unease" was a thought that first popped into my mind. The above highlighted (by me) section could well be a clue.

I hear what you say about the car being full, but the 'experiment' I suggested might at least narrow down WHY the urination at this time is occurring. Just do it a few times by taking him out without all the kids in the car. If he doesn't urinate on those occasions, perhaps we can then make some suggestions that might help for when he is back in the foot well of the car.

Will you entertain this idea? Can you?

Edited by Erny