How Much Food To Give 8 Week Old Labrador Puppy ?

ZEUS

Depending upon the size and weight of the kibble its around (ish) two cups.

If puppy is putting on weight, reduce each meal by about a quarter, sit on it for a 5-7 days and see how puppies weight adjusts.

Like one of the other posters I don't follow the recommended feeding amounts I actually gauge based on my dogs weight and I reassess weekly in a growing pup. I've upped my pup's intake three times since bringing him home at 8 weeks and this has been perfect for Ren, mostly recently this week as his growth is rocketing at the moment.

My best friend's are my measuring scales and metric cups.

Btw the way, despite pups being on premium kibble, don't be surprised if they do appear to be eating a lot. My pup eats about three times what my adult dog does and in a much shorter time span too - he's a machine - just like she was as a pup. :laugh:

Hi! I have. 17 week old Labrador and have had her from 8 weeks. I started on the advance but have changed to the Labrador specific royal canine and she loves it. I started with about a tea cup size of dry or moistened food 3 times a day with about 70g of fresh mince in each meal. I have recently added flax seed oil to her food as well. She loves this and it's really good for her coat. I agree with the others, ditch the cheap food and buy something better. Royal canine is about $110 a bag but lasts about a month and a half at the age ur pup is :-) I don't know everything about feeding etc. I just know this is what I have done and my pup is in great shape :-) goodluck and enjoy your beautiful baby

Hello everyone with gorgeous puppies!

Zeus- it sounds like you're feeding too much. An 8 week old puppy doesn't need puppy milk, he should be weaned by 8 weeks.

I'm not a big fan of cans, apart from the fact I find the smell horrendous, they are mainly water and don't offer any dental benefits like kibble does.

I am not really a fan of pedigree either- my lab puppy was on it and started to eat dog poo. This stopped when the brand was changed.

If you can't afford a premium kibble like royal canin or nutro then I think Purina Proplan and supercoat is often recommedned here and is reasonably priced :)

Puppies generally don't need kibble soaked unless they have oral/chewing issues or you are using rehydratable kibble (which i think Advance makes).

Young lab puppies like bones- I found lamb flaps great for my 8 week old lab

ETA- I feed my 8 week old lab puppy 1 and 3/4 cups of dry food per day until she was 4 months where she went onto 3 cups a day.

She is now on the equivalent to 2 cups a day.

This is what Guide Dogs recommends for their labrador puppies.

Edited by aussielover