How Much Food To Give 8 Week Old Labrador Puppy ?

ZEUS

Hello, I want to start by saying what a great forum this is.

My question is, how much food should i be giving my 8 week old Labrador puppy every day ?

I feed him daily : 125ml of Pal Puppy Milk. 1 cup of Supercoat puppy biscuits and 1 can of Pal Puppy food.

Can anyone please suggest a better dog food brand as well ? He seems to be doing a lot of poos !!!

Thanks for you help in advance

George :)

Edited by ZEUS

Hi!

Congratulations on your new puppy! :)

With regards to feeding, what did your breeder recommend you feed him? It is best to keep pup on the same food they were being fed growing up to reduce intestinal upsets.

Being a larger breed dog, I myself would probably prefer to feed a high quality pet food specially formulated for growing large breed puppies as they have all the essential nutrients but also a little lower in calories/cup which helps the larger breeds to not grow too fast (which can lead to skeletal problems).

Has your vet given him a once over since you bought him home? It's always a good idea to have pup vet checked as soon as you can and that way you can also ask them any questions.

Hope this helps. There are lots of people on this forum who have a wealth of knowledge on these sorts of things so no doubt you will be flooded with more information soon!

Goodluck with pup and remember to post pics!!!!

I'd toss the Puppy milk and PAL. Some of the better dry foods (if you wish to continue to feed dry) are Eagle Pack, Nutro Natural Choice, Royal Canin, Nutrience, ProPlan. It's a matter of finding one that suits your particular dog. I like to keep the protein level at 24% or lower for larger breed pups, so feed Eagle Pack Large and Giant breed formula. I've also just been informed that they have a holistic large breed puppy formula now as well so have bought a bag to try. The super premium foods have the advantage of being more concentrated so you are actually feeding less per day, so they are not as expensive as you think. Also, less poo, better coat, etc. If you do switch, don't forget to do it gradually over a week. Good luck with your new baby!

Thanks stormie & goldielover, The people i bought the pup from only had him for a week, they bought him from a Breeder , but as they were not real happy about selling the pup and were really attached with him and felt terrible, i didnt get to chat to them much at all, so i have no info really. I will definately try the one of the premium foods that you listed.

I have purchased 4 litres of puppy milk and a large bag of Supercoat Puppy dry food. Should i use it up, or get rid of it ?

Would it be ok to feed him the best dry food only and not get a can of dog food again ?

By the way, the less poo , definately the better. Thats the only thing i hate about owning a dog :thumbsup:

Thanks again for your advice guy's. Much appreciated.

Edited by ZEUS

I agree with stormie & goldielover - go for a premium dry food for large breeds. I had some Supercoat puppy food originally and, when I switched to Zig's current diet, I used the Supercoat as training treats - they are really small so very handy for click/treat work. It took us a long time to get through the bag though :thumbsup: Just remember to change the puppy's diet over slowly to avoid an upset tummy. I also feed half a raw chicken wing at bedtime (a chicken neck when he was much younger) and I've never had a problem with puppy whining at night - he can't wait to get outside at 10.30pm to toilet before being put to bed with his "treat".

Most canned food is of fairly poor quality (although I believe Nature's Gift is ok) so I personally wouldn't bother with it (makes for smelly poos!). As for the puppy milk....perhaps you could donate it to a needy rescue organisation (have a look at the dog rescue pages) - it might be good to tempt puppies that aren't eating much.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

you could probably find out from his microchip, some people dont change the chip details when they purchase.

Most of the food you are giving him nutrient wise will be going straight through him. If you must, persist with the supercoat puppy if he is tollerating that, rather than change it now. If you are able to, feed him three times a day. Small amount of the dry, soaked, in the morning, probably one cup. Midday feed similar perhaps with some natural yoghurt on top. You could also supplement this with chicken wings or lamb flaps.

Evening feed soak a cup of dry food and add some GOOD quality mince to this. Good luck. :thumbsup:

PS if your dog is a guts, even when it is an adult, always add a bit of water or soak their dry food, it may help prevent bloat.

Thank you all so much. I will try and hunt down the breeder and I am going to get him the best dry dog food i can get and also get him chicken mince if i have no luck in contacting the breeder. thanks everyone, i will let you all know how i go...I really appreciate your help. I will donate the milk and keep a small amount of buscuits and do the same with them.

Edited by ZEUS

Thank you all so much. I will try and hunt down the breeder and I am going to get him the best dry dog food i can get and also get him chicken mince if i have no luck in contacting the breeder. thanks everyone, i will let you all know how i go...I really appreciate your help.

I would also suggest to add some meaty bones to his diet: chicken necks, wings, frames. It's good for them and it cleans their teeth. Also a marrow bone from time to time (cut in the middle so he can get to the marrow). I have a golden retriever puppy and she was chewing a lot when she was 8-17 weeks old. The bones definitely helped. Although I can't give her chicken necks because she swallows them whole :thumbsup: .

This thread is also useful for me. We've started our puppy on soaked Royal Canin because that is what he was fed from the breeder. I have not really introduced anything else (raw meat etc.) yet, but I did give him a small piece of fresh chicken last night. Soon we are planning to introduce the yoghurt and meat (Lamb Flaps and Chicken/Beef Mince).

labj.gif

I purchased a 12kg pack of Royal Canin which cost me $84.95. They gave me 2 measuring cups and a lagre Royal Canin food storage bucket. They also gave me a frequent buyers card which gets me the 10th bag of dog food free !

I went to the shops and bought 5 small chicken necks for the bargain price of 50cents :thumbsup:

They suggested that i wean him into the new food, but i told them i already knew that as my new friends here already told me that :)

Thanks again, we are so happy . I will let you all know how we go

One last question.....Does 235 grams of dry food and a chicken neck per day sound right ??????

Regards

George

Edited by ZEUS

labj.gif

I purchased a 12kg pack of Royal Canin which cost me $84.95. They gave me 2 measuring cups and a lagre Royal Canin food storage bucket. They also gavew me a frequent buyers card which gets me the 10th bag of dog food free !

I went to the shops and bought 5 small chicken necks for the bargain price of 50cents :thumbsup:

They suggested that i wean him into the new food, but i told them i already knew that as my new friends here already told me that :)

Thanks again, we are so happy . I will let you all know how we go

One last question.....Does 235 grams of dry food and a chicken neck per day sound right ??????

Regards

George

RC retriever is probably one of the best choices for your puppy :rofl: When you give him the chicken necks make sure he chews them. If he swallows them whole try freezing them (and give frozen). If that doesn't work you should probably get something bigger next time (like wings or turkey necks).

I never really follow the instructions of how much to feed the dog. I just adjust if I see she is putting on too much weight or not putting on enough. Roughly though I give about 2/3 of the recommended amount.

OMG how cute are you??

This pup has you well trained already :mad He will get most of the nutrition he needs to grow in that dry food. The rest is up to you, whatever you wish in the way of meaty raw bones.

Next you will be on here saying, OMFG does this bulldozer ever stop digging?? :laugh:

Zeus, that sounds exactly how we are feeding our puppy of the same age. 80g per serving, three times day = 240g. We are feeding Royal Canin Maxi Junior 32, but what you have would probably be even better. I think your puppy will love you for the diet change and will stop accepting the PAL altogether.

Just a quick note to let you know that Zeus loves the new food and gobbles it all up. I wont give him anymore chicken necks as he has been swallowing them whole. I gave him a chicken wing :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help everyone :rofl:

• 3 years later...

Hey guys im new to this forum and have a 8week old samoyed x jap spitz.

I feed her Royal Canin Junior 32 (Maxi) and am wandering if im feeding her too much. she seems to be gaining weight very fast.. and im concerned about whether or

not im feeding her TOO much.. or if its normal since shes a medium sized breed.

i read the charts on the packaging but im still confused. 240grams per day.... how many cups is that?

any help would be great!!

xox Chelsea's mum