Horror First Night - 8 Week Old Ridgeback Puppy

Miss Monster

Rus_Ren,

having gone through the same thing only 2 weeks ago with our staffy, i share your pain, however the pup should calm down as every night goes on. our Mack is now quiet in the laundary when we put him there for bed, and behaves himself at night time.

it gets better, just the first week or two are really testing times! you'll be right :-)

I am no expert at this and Im truly sorry to hear the problem your experiencing but what seems to be working for us is warmth and noise. Our pup is in our room with us (no crate) and isnt allowed on the bed but doesnt seem to mind because he can hear us (OH snores like a trooper) and has a snuggle puppy plus our body warmth in the room. If OH stops snoring pup wakes up...so I get two sets of snoring at a time or a puppy who is awake...maybe you should put a recording of snoring on repeat?? :)

I really hope things pick up soon, you must be exhausted!

I'd love to have him in our room but as he isn't toilet trained at all OH doesnt' want him on the carpet!

Any toilet training hints? He seems to wait until he's back inside on the tiles before he'll go? If I grab him while he's going and put him outside where I want him to go I can wait 40 minutes and he wont finish!

ETA Piccies - his food gets on his ears and all over his face... Then there is the look of innocence!

post-16904-1188186902_thumb.jpg

post-16904-1188186946_thumb.jpg

post-16904-1188186962_thumb.jpg

Edited by Russ_Ren

I'd love to have him in our room but as he isn't toilet trained at all OH doesnt' want him on the carpet!

Any toilet training hints? He seems to wait until he's back inside on the tiles before he'll go? If I grab him while he's going and put him outside where I want him to go I can wait 40 minutes and he wont finish!

Thats fair enough....for some magical mystical reason our pup came pretty much toilet trained. He hates going anywhere near his "den" so if he gets up suddenly and bolts toward the door we put him straight on the loo...or he is heading to it himself.

Im no expert here but I would suggest trying to stop him before he starts going...if he sniffs, circles, scratches at the ground or suddenly wanders away from you take him outside...if he does pee outside go wild with excitement and affection, once you can get his scent out there it will be much easier. Also make sure you've gotten rid of his smell inside, he may be holding out for that spot because he can still smell its "his". Next time he pees on the tiles, wipe it up with paper towel and put it outside, its one way of getting his scent outside which is a start. Next time you take him outside take him to the spot where the paper towel is and wait it out.

Edited by schnauzer_luv

I tried the paper towel thing... I've been spraying with glen 20 when he does go inside to try to get rid of the smell...

He doesn't seem to show any signs - he wanders sniffing all the time then he will just look like he's sitting and then I see the puddle forming!

I tried the paper towel thing... I've been spraying with glen 20 when he does go inside to try to get rid of the smell...

He doesn't seem to show any signs - he wanders sniffing all the time then he will just look like he's sitting and then I see the puddle forming!

Im not sure glen 20 will do it. If it contains ammonia it definitely wont. You can get some products from pet stores specifically designed for eliminating the urine odour...or if you're feeling home makerish 50/50 white vinegar and water solution sprayed on the spot and blotted up will do it.

I was militant about Dolly and toilet training, cos we have all carpet and it's a rental property - oh and our lounge room is on the second floor, so it was a bit of a hike to the backyard. So, I raced her outside whenever she woke up, after she had a drink, after a little play, after a big play, after she'd pause during a play and about 15 mins after she ate. Puppies do so many little wees all day, but they all seem to be pretty much after those times. Then whenever she'd do it outside I'd praise her so much (I am sure our neighbours thought I was insane) and say yay, good wees.

The vigilence pays off, I swear, it's just that for the first couple of weeks, you just have to presume the puppy will wee after almost everything.

Oh, and when I say after she woke up, it would go like: eyes open, stretch, step, step, step, wee. You don't have much time. Lol

Try crate training him. You'll find this VERY handy - not only to assist with toilet training, but also for other times right through to and including his adult life. And this will solve the problem of him being on the carpet.

I was militant about Dolly and toilet training, cos we have all carpet and it's a rental property - oh and our lounge room is on the second floor, so it was a bit of a hike to the backyard. So, I raced her outside whenever she woke up, after she had a drink, after a little play, after a big play, after she'd pause during a play and about 15 mins after she ate. Puppies do so many little wees all day, but they all seem to be pretty much after those times. Then whenever she'd do it outside I'd praise her so much (I am sure our neighbours thought I was insane) and say yay, good wees.

The vigilence pays off, I swear, it's just that for the first couple of weeks, you just have to presume the puppy will wee after almost everything.

Oh, and when I say after she woke up, it would go like: eyes open, stretch, step, step, step, wee. You don't have much time. Lol

I did the same thing toilet training. My comand was 'on the grass' followed by big wee wees good puppy on my goodness and then a tiny treat and a cuddle. worked like a charm fo the goldie but still traing the poodle but she has had something wrong with her and it was taken a lot longer to get it all fixed. Now everythign is great!

But the funniest thing is that not my goldie will only go the toilet when he's being watch!!! he loves it because he wants to get old he is a good dog. So when i say to my freidsn im going to put the dog out for a wee they dont realise that means me too and they cant believe I watch. But if i go to walk on the other side of the yard he'll stop mid streama nd wait for me to turn around and watch again. :shrug:

I didnt crate train either of my pups but rather pen trainged. Had a large puppy pen that i would settle them into. My goldie loved it my poodle hated is but got use to it. Dont use it now but it helped teach then to settle at night and that its notplay time. thay were trained in the bedroom which has carpet but we put a tarp down and newspaper on top. Hope that might help.

Edited by goldiesRgreat

But if i go to walk on the other side of the yard he'll stop mid streama nd wait for me to turn around and watch again. :laugh:

Ahahhahahaa, I just spat out my coffee that was so funny :shrug:

That is funny! Im never far away from my pups toilet because he has a pet loo inside. For the first couple of days I would take him there and he would "get busy" then get tonnes of praise...this is his 4th day with us and he is now going by himself but afterwards will come and take me to the loo to show me what he's been up to and then looks at me expectantly for hugs :rofl:

Hi,

I too own a ridgeback..... and when we first brought him home did exactly the same thing for about 2 weeks until we brought his create into our room. I know exactly how you feel and i got to the stage of wanting to take him back.

We started putting him in the garage with his bed, but he cried- sreamed you name it he did it- all hours of the night.

We both has sleepless nights for 2 weeks, as i sought everyones advice and was told the same thing to tough it out.

But he did not seem to improve. We brought he create into out room and ever since then he has slept right through the night. For a while he would wake us up to go to the toilet, but now he can hold his bladder he sleeps all night.

He just wanted to be with us.

We also went through months of crying outside when we went to work and tried everything we possibly could. He was the happiest little thing when we were home with him, but did not like being left alone.

He is now 1 year old and much better being on him own, we got a dog door only a few months ago- which made the biggest difference- now he feels like we have not left him when we go to work.

Ridgebacks are at their happiest when they are with you. He goes everywhere with us, but hates being left on his own. I spoke to my breeder about this and she said it was a ridgeback stait- especially with the liver noise.

I know how you are feeling- but it will get better over time.