Is It Just Me Or Are There Others?

Tonymc

Is it just me or are there others that find it very lacking sometimes, the general section?

What am I talking about?I am talking about some of the supposed problems inregard to Dogs posted in the open or general section.I see so many of the Problems as trivial and I have the attitude of fix it and get on with it!!!

I guess maybe it all goes back to the level of experience of the individual involved.I guess somebody with little experience,would tend to classify a minor problem as a major problem.That might be the case but it does not help the Dog involved!!!!

Seems to be that so many do not take into account the part that their low level of experience plays, in any Dog related situation.Possibly in their Eyes, its best to fool onself into believing their experience and knowledge is greater than it actually is!!!!That of course does not help Dogs.

The sad part about is is that we see People post a problem and the rantings in some cases,start of PTS PTs PTS!!!!Very sad when its a minor problem being blown out of proportion by inexperienced People!!!!!! Tony

Is it just me or are there others that find it very lacking sometimes, the general section?

What am I talking about?I am talking about some of the supposed problems inregard to Dogs posted in the open or general section.I see so many of the Problems as trivial and I have the attitude of fix it and get on with it!!!

I guess maybe it all goes back to the level of experience of the individual involved.I guess somebody with little experience,would tend to classify a minor problem as a major problem.That might be the case but it does not help the Dog involved!!!!

Seems to be that so many do not take into account the part that their low level of experience plays, in any Dog related situation.Possibly in their Eyes, its best to fool onself into believing their experience and knowledge is greater than it actually is!!!!That of course does not help Dogs.

The sad part about is is that we see People post a problem and the rantings in some cases,start of PTS PTs PTS!!!!Very sad when its a minor problem being blown out of proportion by inexperienced People!!!!!! Tony

I think part of the problem is because dogs are such an integral part of human life people think they know all about them, this may be because of childhood upbrining..eg what their parents did or did not do with the family pet, media coverage such as dog related TV shows which people then use what they have seen on their dog thinking it will solve all their problems not ever thinking/realising that the dog on the show has also had alot more done with it behind the camera which you never see. Also there is still a lot of myth and lengend out there being banded around as fact. So people get the wrong info from the start.

But hey! ask anyone these days and they know all about dogs and how to fix their problems and what causd them in the first place, and when they don't know the answer, the reply will be PTS is the best option for the dog. :)

I guess maybe it all goes back to the level of experience of the individual involved. I guess somebody with little experience,would tend to classify a minor problem as a major problem.That might be the case but it does not help the Dog involved!!!!

I think this (highlighted comment) is generally the case, Tony.

On some occasions I think it is also a case of want to know but use the internet instead of getting out and going to dog school to learn it. Not always though - in some instances it's because people are told to "keep puppy in until vaccinations are completed" ...... but people want to start doing the right things in those very early but crucial first weeks. In some other cases I think it's an awareness of not knowing about dogs but being aware of that lack of knowledge and wanting/needing to be careful to do the right things.

Kind of like those who were taught/told (donkeys years ago) to rub puppy's nose in its do-do's when it had a toilet accident inside (:)). It was quite a shock for some people to find out this is soooooo the wrong thing to do. So, when you realise that what you thought all this time was right is in fact wrong, what else is there out there that you think you know but isn't right?

Also, with the laws regarding dogs and the incidents that are now reported and publicised, I think some people are particularly cautious.

One problem still exists though - people want to know but when they realise they might need to change what they are used to doing or actually put in some (sometimes inconvenient) extra effort to overcome the problems, they don't follow through. I have met more than a few people who want the problem fixed and will happily take your time to know but when the answer doesn't suit will either continue to ask questions (in the hope of getting an answer they want to hear??) or simply continue to grouch about their dog.

This is generalising of course. If MOST people were like that, I don't think I'd enjoy my job as I do. I find that most people are willing to put in the 'yakka' to reap the good results. Thankfully :cry:. And my 'bonus' is the buzz from that success. :):rofl:.

Just my thoughts on it. :)

I think this ties in a lot with your other thread Tony. People are analysing every aspect of their dogs behaviour because they now know "enough" to consider the theory & buzz words they have read/heard but not enough to apply it. Or as I suspect is often the case, have had a go at applying it & screwed it up, creating real problems where there were none.

Definitely, but in reality I think it probably evens out & even has some positives. If not for these threads, things would not get addressed & discussed thoroughly. Even ridiculous statements serve a purpose b/c they can be (and as we know always are :) )debated & usually proven incorrect by those who know what they are talking about. It is not hard to see who knows what they are talking about & who doesn't and teh fools tend to discredit themselves pretty quickly without any help whatsoever. I think those who have the knowledge to do so, do a great job passing it across on DOL and most people with issues, genuine or not are generally given some great advice. Fuller discussions also impact the hundreds of lurkers who may read a post & think "oh, that is exactly the problem I am having".

So while I can see what you are saying, I can see positives here too. I try to see the glass as half full :cry:

Edited by Vickie

As a newbie, I would like to urge you all not to be despaired.

A lot of people did not grow up in an environment with dogs. The fact that people come here and ask a question, no matter how trivial, is an effort to seek help. Yes, the dog owning community is just like the society we live in, there are nut cases, thick headed cases and etc. Withholding your great advices won't do anything.

Instead, even at the risk of falling on deaf ears, the advice or experience shared is bound to reach someone, somewhere. That's the beauty of forum on the internet. Some dog's life may improve drastically just because you took several minute out of your life to type.

You know what, I am from China. There is no obedient school or behaviorist around. My dogs are healthy, happy and reasonably well behave because of you (and a load of books of course.)

Keep up the good work, it is appreciated.

Ben

The worst stuff I have seen online is mostly on the American sites. In those situations, you often find someone who has already decided that they want to be rid of the dog. Instead of copping to that, and taking responsibility for rehoming the dog or putting it to sleep, they go to the internet to "ask for advice".

People give them good advice. The person finds a reason why each bit of advice won't work, and claim the dog is "impossible". Often it's simple stuff like house-training.

What the person is really looking for when asking for advice is permission from the "internet" to get rid of the dog without any burden on their conscience or ego. These are usually the people who have a working dog in their backyard that they have never trained. They get rid of it thinking that the next cute Aussie Shep puppy will magically be "different" somehow without any work on their part.

I don't post very often. But i do read alot.

You guys are all very informative and give me some great ideas.

I consider every dog to be different and there is always something to learn, as no two dogs are ever the same.

I've only ever really owned two dogs. My first one had a lot of issues with temperament and came to me as a 2 year old.

17 years later i am starting out agagain. This time with a pup. And after owning the same dog for 15 years alot has changed.

I do get a bit confused with all the different training methods and foods etc :rolleyes:

Sometimes i feel like i am asking something really stupid but better to ask a stupid question then be a stupid owner who couldn't be bothered.

A valid point - but I think we also must remember this - sometimes people come home from walks and such 'fuming' about it and thus will post in General. OR, as you say, they are 'inexperienced', something has happened that is out of character and they don't stop to think of how to deal with it, but come straight on DOL to ask the 'experts'. Unfortunately, as with everything, there are so many variations and alternatives to training that you may often walk out more confused than not.

I have posted a few threads when I was all 'hyped' with DOL that I latter look at and wonder "and the point of that was..... " :D

I don't think it is just general 'inexeperience', although that does play a big part, but also the 'inexperience' of a particular situation. Having said that - the more experience you have, the more you would be able to look at things with a level head etc.

Again - I think another part is that people on DOL like talking to people as nutty as them :rofl: