Labrador Puppy Biting

Rainey

Hi everyone

It has been great reading along with this thread... i am having some biting issues with Archie too and have been taking notes on all the techniques to try.

When Archie is full of energy he is at his worse with biting - we can tell how tired he is by how hard he's biting :hitself: - but because he is so little our main problem is with him latching onto the bottom of our pants and feet and not letting go.

He has just started growling and tugging when he's got hold of something... attacking (in a playful way) rather than just chewing.

We've been trying the gruff NO's, holding his muzzleand the spray bottle and they doesn't seem to faze him. Distracting him with a toy has been best so far but doesn't last too long. We try ignoring him but he keeps tugging and it's a bit difficult to walk away with him attached to our legs - although i have tried this!

It doesn't seem to be about the attention - more so a game.

I have been using the bitter bite as a bit of a deterrent but i don't think it lasts too long.

I know the techniques discussed would possibly work for all dogs, but any specific ones for the little ones?

Sorry don't have any helpful advice but welcome to my world AND I discovered last night that Riley loves the taste of bitter bite spray he was licking all the furniture I sprayed it on he's a freak......... :wave:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dante was a nightmere at the biting, we only recently got it under control, there are loads of different techniques out there to try.

My pet hate was when I would talk to people about it and they would say "Oh just ignore him, turn away and walk away", some people don't understand that some puppies will run afteryou and continue to bite you and ignoring will only land you with scars.

We tried every method we heard of and nothing worked, he would get so wound up that he a repremand wouldn't do anything when he was in a frenzied biting mood.

We had to be strong with ourselves and step up the level of dicipline, it doesn't feel great having to do it but when you have a puppy like Dante there are only certain messages that get through their heads.

Hey, I'm back!

Pleased to report that the biting has reduced to almost non existant. The best techniques that have worked for me were a really loud double-clap and a gruff 'no'. Then ignore. He's learn that biting is unacceptable but he still loves to lick, especially when we've just returned home, lol.

"I love labs...and they are seriously wonderful dogs...but there is a reason why i have GSD's now :laugh: "

Have been reading this topic with much interest as I have the same problem with my 11 week old GS puppy, he's totally adorable but it's got to the point where I am too scared to wear no shoes anywhere near him as he's going to take off a toe soon :):thumbsup: With reference to KitKat's above comment how did you stop your GSD's doing this or didn't they ? I have tried all the things Rainey has tried, growling, yelping, ignorning, sin bin, giving him a toy instead, holding his mouth closed, pulling him away by the scruff of his neck (although I don't like doing this but on occasion will in desperation) and he just seems to get more excited when I growl or yell, brings the toy over to my feet then drops it and attacks my feet again, if I sin bin him as soon as I let him out within ten mins it's on again and if I ignore him he just keep persisting on chasing me and attacking my feet, if I stand perfectly still he then either continues to attack my stationary feet or humps my leg !!!!!!!!! :cheer: He started puppy school last week and they told me to continue with all of the above any other suggestions anyone ????????

Dolly was a dreadful biter, and none of the above worked. We wound up putting her into time out every time she bit one of us. She's so pack oriented that this worked faster than anything, cos she just hated being away from us.

I went to work though for about a month with the worst marks on my hands, I'd get so embarrassed in meetings!

Hello everyone,

Our 11 week old Labrador puppy Scud is a biter. We are trying to ween him off this habit as quickly as possible but most of our techniques appear to stimulate and excite him more than anything else. It becomes a challenge for him when we hide our hands/arms or gently push him away and hold him back. I'm trying to avoid smacking because he's only a little baby really. Correcting with an appropriate chew toy does work to an extent but it is hard to always have one nearby when he gets excited. I know he has the full potential to be polite when he wants to but when he's in 'energy burning mode' its just full steam ahead with the biting.

He starts softly and when we tell him 'no!' hand clap and hide our arms he just wags his tail and bites harder (lol).

I'm thinking about different techniques such as the spray bottle, but also something that tastes bad to him that I can put on my hands and arms (any suggestions?).

Is the biting just a result of teething, and I'm wondering when we should expect to see him start to grow out of this?

Our Lab (Prince) is a biter too when his that age 11 wks, what we've done is hold his muzzle hard until he yelps and firmly said NO, do this everytime he bites.....and please don't put your head level to him.........they are pack animals they need a strong leader.

good luck!