What Length Clipper Blade For A Maltese?

Sally

Hi all,

I got my Maltese cross clipped at the groomer for the first time recently. I asked the girl not to clip her hair too short, as it's still pretty cold here at night, but now she needs clipping again after about 3 weeks. I'm thinking of buying some WAHL clippers, but don't know what length blade I need. I was thinking of leaving her hair 2.5cm long. What blade would that be? What blade do other Maltese owners use?

Generally a malt cross gets clipped every 8 weeks.

The length solely dpends on the quality of coat,if it doesnt have alot of undercoat you wouldnt clip it real short but if it has a good thick undercoat then you can be more creative.

We either use the clip on combs or 3/4 3.3/4 blades.

These blades are all extras on top of your clippers & its important that you buy a brand of clippers which can use all brands.Not all clippers have interchangable heads.

i would also consider still taking the dog to the groomer until it is very happy at being clipped .A bad experience can make a dog fearful of being groomed for life.

You will aslon needto set a table or some area that the dog can safely stand,buy small grooming scissors,nail clippers & ear pluckers

Thanks for the info showdog. I've clipped my dog (with her on the washing machine) with my WAHL clippers for humans, and she was o.k with it. She did get a bit over it after a while, but with decent clippers, it should take less time. For a Maltese, can you use the clippers for their face? She didn't let me clip her face, but I had left that until last, when she'd had enough. I've tried using hairdressing scissors for her face, and I didn't really know what I was doing. She holds perfectly still though, even when I have trimmed her eyelashes (they grow a mile long and she needs them to be clipped so she can see better).

Hi Sally,

For a spring/autumn length coat (not too long, not too short) for my Maltese, I use a size 3 and 3/4 blade, which leaves the fur 10-13mm long (see pic below)

I only use the clippers on the top of her head, and do fringe and muzzle with scissors. I used to use kitchen scissors, but bought some proper wahl ones and there is a lot of difference in the final look! I also use scissors on her legs.

To do the fringe, brush her hair forward to cut it, otherwise it will look wierd, and when you buy your blade(s) make sure you dont get a skip-tooth blade by mistake/

Blossom_haricut_p1120007.jpg

Its nice to hear that someone is concerned that their dog has been clipped too long instead of saying the groomer shaved their pup. Its a change as a groomer because all I see to hear and read is that its too short. lol

My first advice though would be to go back to the groomer and tell them that it was a little too long and can they just clip the length shorter this time and see what they do. I have very rarely got it right on length the first time I have groomed a new client. Some people thing that 1/2' is shaved where as other thing 5mm is too long. Give the groomer a chance if you were happy with the quality but they just didnt get the length right. If you were unhappy with quality like even length or clipper burns then go elsewhere or do it yourseslf.

Depends on the maltese coat as has been stated by showdog but i will usually use a 1/2 inch length or a 1/4inch for a maltese coat and depending on which but some maltese and crosses need clipping every 4 weeks with the really long length. The shorter that they are clipped the longer the clip will last its simple. most people have a #3 which is about a quarter of an inch. they get regular trims 6 to 12 weeks dependeing on budget and how well they keep their dogs knot free.

Example of one of the maltese looks we can do

post-15110-1189927803_thumb.jpg

Im in adelaide if you would like any help just pm me. Good luck Sally.

Edited by goldiesRgreat