Benny Feb 96 - Sept 06

benny123

It’s 12 months ago today since you left us darling boy. I haven’t been able to do this before now, it still hurts – I think it always will.

You came to us out of the blue after three years of us being dogless, by choice. A desperate phone call from our friend, the vet, saying you were no longer wanted by your family and if she was not willing to put you to sleep you would be surrendered to the pound where they would do the deed – well we couldn’t let that happen.

All we were told about you was that you were a rather large 4 year old GSD X.

I remember the day I picked you up and brought you home. You were looking very nervous and unsure of what was happening and so was I. During the drive I told you I would look after you in terms of food, shelter, health, exercise and that you could even live inside the house – something you’d never done before. But I was adamant that I would not love you, I’d been there before and was not going to have my heart broken again by a dog, so don’t try anything cute.

I tried so hard to resist you but everything you did made that impossible. You’d only been with us for a few days when you took it upon yourself to play nurse to my dying father. You stayed by his bedside day and night and alerted mum and me whenever he needed anything. You were amazing.

You came to us completely untrained, yet within weeks you could sit, drop, stay, come, heel and shake hands. You were so clever.

Everyone who met you fell for you. Even old Bob around the corner who was terrified of dogs said you had a benevolent face and charitable eyes. You were drawn to children and they to you – you were the proverbial ‘gentle giant’.

You bugger, you made me break my vow in no time at all and I loved you more than anything in this world – still do. You showed me what a silly, empty life I’d been living for three years without a dog.

You were only with us for 6 and a half years, but they were the best 6 and a half years of my life.

BeachBenLarge.jpg

Ben5Large.jpg

Ben20Large.jpg

IM000234Large.jpg

IM000247Large.jpg

Edited by benny123

Pass the tissues....that tribute has me crying.....Benny will live on in your heart forever.....what a beautiful boy RIP

Yep, this ones got me too :laugh:

What a gorgeous angel, still looking down on you to this day :thumbsup:

Edited by BC