What Sort Of Probotics?

Norskgra

My 2 12 week old pups both have both had upset tummies. They have both been vomiting and had diarrhoea. I took them to the vets who tested a sample and has given us a couple of different tablets for them. The vet also asked if I had any probotics to give them. I actually threw out some Yakult on the weekend that was past its used by date. Are there any probotics that have a longer shelf life that I can keep in the dogs first aid kit?

Thanks for the replies. I also prefer the refrigerated types but I thought that I could put one in their first aid kit for emergencies or until I could buy some. We have been lucky and none of our dogs have had upset tummies apart from the babies when they were little and that cleared up with some yoghurt. This time they were quite bad, especially Angel.

I personally think the yakult and yoghurt tend to be of little benefit when there is a problem that needs to be dealt with. Yoghurt and yakult tend to only have several million of a single type of beneficial bacterial. When dealing with an imbalance that has effected the health you want to use the ones that have several billion bacteria and of a few different bacteria strains (check the label to compare). Our body is meant to normally have several trillion and these can be reduced when under stress (physical and emotional), illness, on antibiotics, etc. I always suggest adding a little extra when any of this comes along just as a safe gaurd. I usually get mine from a health food store but i am looking into the various canine one that are available at the moment.

The yoghurt and yakult can be useful to help maintain a good level if given regularly, but are less useful when larger specific issues occur and can sometimes have issues from the dairy.

Edited by NaturallyWild