Luxating Patella + Something Else?

Charlie (9 month old standard poodle) had XRays at the vet last week and has luxating patellas in both hind legs. Medial. Vet said XRays however were near normal.

In the past week, I've seen him dislocate 3 times- twice left, once right and have also noticed the last couple of days he tends to hold the back left leg in toward the middle (instead of normal position).

Know I'm humanising here, but last time he looked at me, as if to say, "Help me!". Like any good dog owner, I burst into tears :rofl: .

It clearly hurt him, he held up the leg longer than normal and I've got no idea how to pop it back in.

He was only out walking for 10 minutes, not running/ zoomies/ twisting etc. :rofl:. He's such a lovely-natured, affectionate dog I really want to do what's best for him.

We don't do walks for more than 15 minutes, less zoomies and no ball games (per vet). I've taken him walking on sand, but not started hill walking, yet. I think he's pretty lean.

Charlie9months.jpg .. Charlie9months2.jpg

Should I have asked to have his hips XRayed also? It was under GA, so I'm not keen to put him through that unnecessarily.

I can take him back to the vet, but would anything come of that?

I would not consider any hip surgery (both expense++++ and risk of complications) but would certainly have the luxating patellas done (still about $800+, but less risk complications; not recommended by vet at this stage).

Any thoughts?

Coming from a breed with patella problems, I have seen & heard of many many Cavaliers that were patella cleared by the Vets at all their baby visits, only to develop the problem around 9 months...........Many good show dogs have been thrown out due to this problem around this age, I have had a couple myself that I would have liked to have been "tighter" at that age that were Vet cleared earlier. They all came back after 12 months though......The reason for this is that some dogs have abnormal growth spurts, and grow higher in the rear than the front etc...........The Stifles go straight, and on straight stifled dogs you nearly always have slipping patellas!

Can you be absolutely certain this is not the case with your puppy? Could it not also be an injury?

Thanks.

It could be a growth spurt. He filled out a little then became leaner much like the way human children do with their growth spurts ;)

I'm not aware of an injury, though it's always possible. He has a smaller dog to play with.

Anyone know of an animal chiro Nowra area, South Coast NSW ??

Thanks.

It could be a growth spurt. He filled out a little then became leaner much like the way human children do with their growth spurts ;)

I'm not aware of an injury, though it's always possible. He has a smaller dog to play with.

Anyone know of an animal chiro Nowra area, South Coast NSW ??

If no one replies about one closer to you, I have been to Garry Barnsley at Bringelly, and he is brilliant.

Cavandra, do you use any supplements or special diet for your dogs with these growth spurts? Modify their exercise at all?

I currently feed an adult dry food + raw bones/ roo mince (chicken necks, brisket bones mainly). I add some Livamol (~ 2 teaspoons) to the mince. A kg of mince lasts about 4-5 days. Livamol: http://www.cyberhorse.net.au/iah/livamol.htm

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Hi PW :laugh: Have you got your vet to show you how to ease the patella back into the correct spot? Has he suggested stabilising the joint with surgery?

I know this sounds boring but I would suggested keeping him really restricted ( crate or xpen ) & keep him on the lead when walking all the time.....even when he goes outside to the toilet.

Hang in there...........sending you poodlely hugs!