I Broke My Pup's Leg!

mocha

i stepped on my little pup's leg last night :( by accident and heard a sound like "ka"...and she was holding her front leg and yelling....i brought her to the vet immediately but she was walking fine (as normal) at there and the vet checked her bones and found no problem with it...The vet said she may be hurt but not that serious and she will be fine soon given she is still a puppy (3.5 months old) :laugh:

However, when she played with my another pup this morning, she yelled and held her leg after a play fight....and then she went back into the dog house for a couple of minutes then came out again by holding one leg up. :):)

then she played, walked and peed again as normal...maybe with a slower pace. :(

So what should i do at this stage to protect her injuried leg? the vet didn't give me any medicine or do anything on her leg...does it mean she will recover herself?

I feel guilty and couldn't sleep last night....always remember that "ka"....... :)

or should i feed her any special food for recovery???

a) Take her back to the vet.

b) restrict activity, crate puppy don't allow any play with other dog for a few days nor any running, jumping etc try to keep puppy as quiet as possible.

c) perhaps add some glucosamine to diet.

Jenny

I've just had a standard poodle diagnosed with a luxating patella (kneecap slips in and out) though it's more common in smaller dogs. It can also be caused by injury. It's only hind legs that are affected and they hold up the leg (high off the ground) then seem OK shortly afterwards. I don't know that this sounds like it, but which leg?

In the meantime I'd ensure pup has rest, no playing as this is the worst kind of exercise- twisting, sudden changes of direction etc.

Agree that you need to see the vet again. What area are you in? Can a DOLer recommend a vet to you?

I had XRays done last week and should warn you it was over $200 as a general anaesthetic was needed. Sometimes they can just sedate a smaller dog.

I learned they can diagnose a luxating patella in the clinic and XRAys aren't necessary to diagnose- vet can pop the kneecap in and out by hand and feel how easy/ difficult it is.

I've just had a standard poodle diagnosed with a luxating patella (kneecap slips in and out) though it's more common in smaller dogs. It can also be caused by injury. It's only hind legs that are affected and they hold up the leg (high off the ground) then seem OK shortly afterwards. I don't know that this sounds like it, but which leg?

In the meantime I'd ensure pup has rest, no playing as this is the worst kind of exercise- twisting, sudden changes of direction etc.

Agree that you need to see the vet again. What area are you in? Can a DOLer recommend a vet to you?

I had XRays done last week and should warn you it was over $200 as a general anaesthetic was needed. Sometimes they can just sedate a smaller dog.

I learned they can diagnose a luxating patella in the clinic and XRAys aren't necessary to diagnose- vet can pop the kneecap in and out by hand and feel how easy/ difficult it is.

It is the front leg that was hurt...

Did the vet do an Xray?

With little pups , it is difficult to keep them quiet, but your girl should be kept rested for a few days...no racing around with the other one, and no jumping.

I would go back to the vet, or find another one.

Painkillers are probably NOT a good idea, as if it HURTS, she will rest it.If she doesn't feel sore, she may do it more damage :laugh:

Hope she is better soon :cheer:

Did the vet do an Xray?

With little pups , it is difficult to keep them quiet, but your girl should be kept rested for a few days...no racing around with the other one, and no jumping.

I would go back to the vet, or find another one.

Painkillers are probably NOT a good idea, as if it HURTS, she will rest it.If she doesn't feel sore, she may do it more damage :laugh:

Hope she is better soon :cheer:

the vet didn't do the xray, she just touched and checked the legs and gave them some pressure but my pup was not worrying/crying at all. so the vet told me to bring her home first and if it goes worse, then she will do a xray for her.

i am going to crate her for a few days first and if the situation doesn't change, I will ask for the xray then. Thanks.

So how much is the xray? $200?