Puppy Feeding When You Have To Go To Work.

alaskanice

Hey everyone!

I have an 11 week old alaskan malamute. During the day when im at work my girlfriend has been feeding her 3-4times a day. Now she is back at uni so every monday the pup is home alone with our husky for 9 hours so we cant feed her. There may be other days where she could miss some meals. I cant leave down food because she will eat the whole lot all at once. Does it matter if they go that long without eating? and any suggestions on what i could do e.g bigger breakfasts, i dont want to leave out bones or treats incase she and the husky have a fight over them while im away. :rolleyes:

What if you feed just before you leave, when you get back, then late at night. At least that's 3 meals. Ideally pups should have 3-4 smaller meals as it's easier for them to digest.

Best to avoid a fight, so if you can't separate them during the day, don't leave food. If they can be separated, you could hide food in chew toys etc. to keep pup entertained for some time.

Hey everyone!

I have an 11 week old alaskan malamute. During the day when im at work my girlfriend has been feeding her 3-4times a day. Now she is back at uni so every monday the pup is home alone with our husky for 9 hours so we cant feed her. There may be other days where she could miss some meals. I cant leave down food because she will eat the whole lot all at once. Does it matter if they go that long without eating? and any suggestions on what i could do e.g bigger breakfasts, i dont want to leave out bones or treats incase she and the husky have a fight over them while im away. :rofl:

I only feed my pups twice a day and they grab what they can from mum when she stands still long enough :laugh: When they go to their new homes I reccomend the same and they all do well. :mad

I just cut my 11 week old pup"s meals back to twice daily from 3 times. She wasn't really eating lunch so I decided it would suit us both to eat twice daily...and I am happy to say she now eats her recommended intake, or close to it, on most days! (a bit of a releif as she eats quite little still)

When we brought Benson home, he was 11 weeks old and we both had to go to work a couple of days later. I gave him breakfast when we had ours, dinner when I got home from work (around 6pm) and a late night "snack" of a chicken wing, a small meaty bone or a couple of puppy biscuits about 1/2 hour before bed.

Eventually I mived dinner to a little later and cut out the snack.

All of our dogs eat 3 small meals a day, when i was working away from home i would either come home for lunch or my OH would come home for lunch....now i work from home it doesn't matter....most puppies will be fine with a couple of meals a day.....she sounds like a very solid little dog already....if she starts to loose condition then you will need to re assess it but i think she would be fine.

i've just come from the vet (Mack got his 16 week vaccinations), and i asked him about dropping the little one down to 2 meals a day. The vet simply said to feed him more for breakfast, and more at dinner, and give him a few chicken necks/wings/frames/etc for the day.

Before (3 meals a day) he got 1 cup of dry food 3 times, now he gets 1.5 cups of dry food 2 times a day. still equals the correct daily intake, and the vet said this is fine.

We leave for work at 7:30am and get home at 5:30pm. We feed him between 7:00-7:30am and dinner is around 6:30-7:30pm.

good luck with it all, owning a pup is fun (at times :laugh:)