Puppy Feeding?

chloebear

I think the ideal is 3 times a day (smaller meals), but many dogs do well with 2X/ day.

Important not to overfeed a growing, large-breed dog. Fast growth can promote bone problems.

A large breed puppy formula (if you feed dry) would be ideal, but many of the adult formulas are almost the same. Check the packet.

You want less calories and protein than the average puppy food for a large breed pup :rolleyes:.

How many times a day should I be feeding my puppy. Rescue dog, breed unknown vet predicts as an adult she will weigh approx 30-40kg. :rolleyes:

I have a GSD he's 14 weeks (yesterday) he gets fed 1 cup of dry food (Be-NatuRal I buy from the breeder) and a bone in the morning , a chicken wing at lunch and two cups of dry food with 50 grams of meat (usually mince) at night and the vet said he's at the prefect weight and body fat mass for his age. She said to perhaps alternate between giving the bone one day and chicken wing the next one he gets to 4 months. Same thing as poodlewrangler said better to give big breeds a number of smaller meals through the day rather than one or two larger ones.

I also have a question, I'm feeding Cody 3 meals a day, but do you still give wheetbix in the mornings? or is thats an old wives tale? I've been feeding Cody the mince and puppy dry food? and sometimes a chicken wing or neck, is this right? sorry dont mean to high jack the post :rolleyes:

I would be giving him 3 meals a day still. Work out what he needs daily then divide. I would still be giving him complete pup food too and not adult, as growing puppies need much more protein than adults.

If she is an large dog as an adult she will probably need 80-100 grams per meal. Pups should be on pup food until they are 8 months, as messing around with their digestive system at such an early age can be really detrimental to them as adults.

twice a day my vet recommends//

i like to train the pups with part of their meal so i know how much theyre eating

i used to leave kibble out for the day but the vet just told me not to...so they dont graze and become overweight