Which Bones Are Best

This may seem like a basic question to most people but I am needing some help. My puppy is 4 months old, a rescue dog which hasn't seen much love and care. What kind of bones should I be giving her and how often? How do I stop her from guarding the bone as I have a two year old and don't want him to be bitten by going to close to bone. I do supervise my children when outside with the dog, but unfortunately there is always that spilt moment where they can do the unexpected. I am afraid I can't tell you what breed she is because she is a cross breed and the vet beleives she will grow to about 30-40 kg. She is on a dry food only diet Purina puppy food. But at present she is also having Yoghurt as she is on antibotics.

You know a cheap and healthy meal to supplement dry feeding is lamb offcuts. I would replace at least one meal with a juicy lamb offcut and your puppy will glow. Otherwise try a chicken carcass as a substitute meal - both these options are very good for teeth too.

Lamb and chicken are lower allergy producing as compared to beef.

Roo tails might also be good.

I'm not sure how you train a puppy with food etc but I know what I do with my boys and that is regularly take a bone or their meal away from them, reward them, then give it back.

There are loads of people here with training experience and I'm sure someone will come along soon to offer more advice.

:champagne:

Brisket bones, chicken necks, turkey necks are good.

If pup "inhales" the chicken necks without chewing, then the turkey necks are larger, so much better.

If you're worried about guarding, take the bone away after a day or so. Both my dogs will happily give up their bones to me (as they should) but it's always better to be safe. It's an uphill battle convincing a dog that a 2 year old is above them in the hierarchy.

I have a 16 month old pap and a 10kg adult x and the vet recommended Brisket bones, as they are soft enough to be eaten, and hard enough still to do some good for the teeth.

I have always taken stuff away from my dogs as pups, bones and toys etc. The pap is not vicious or anything, but it was SO funny as when I went to take a bone away, he kinda lays on it and suctions down onto the floor. How he does it I have no idea, as he also seems to weigh 10 kg when you are trying to pry him off it :thumbsup:

He is heaps better now and doesn't even try that, but that is what he did when I first started taking bones off him.

Bones such as weight bearing beef bones are dense enough to be around after a reasonable time and are the ones which will wear your dog's teeth down, even cause cracked molars. Marrow may be a problem for a good do-er too.

I am quite happy to give a chicken carcase complemented by a slice of grassfed heart every day for a period if that's what suits the humans best. I feed raw so these are part of the diet anyway, not just there for dental reasons or enjoyment. Our girl is 25kg. If mine, I'd be well underway with introducing suitable chewy raw meaty bones and cartilage as mentioned above.