Male Puppy Problem

Eldoop

Hi, Well over the last few days Cody has started humping Minx (big time) and thismorning he has started digging at her to get her to lower her bum to him :thumbsup: and when she is laying down he goes to town on her, anywhere he can but thismorning he seems to have realized which end to go to :thumbsup: and he always walking around sniffing her boo boo :thumbsup: he is only 10 weeks old and Minx is desexed....should I worry or will he stop soon??? (sorry he is our first male dog :thumbsup: )

Oh dear, cant help you there kitty. omg he's so young to think of that though lol Benji is 5 months old now, and he hasnt humped our legs yet.......dont think he even thinks of it.

Hope someone can help you,,,tis embarrassing when you have visitors.

edited to add: we had a corgi years ago..but he was aged 7 months.not desexed, he used to tried to hump the male desexed cat. After we had him desexed, he never tried again. But Cody is still young, but when he's desexed that will solve it.

Edited by Bloss

Try and distract him when he is doing it..

Don't tell him off but make a loud noise to stop him from doing it...

If he is getting too bad then when he starts to do it lock him away from her in a crate or outside on his own..

You could even put him on a lead when he is around her so that he is monitered closely..

Might also be worth looking at getting him desexed if he is not for show/breeding....

Our male is always walking around with his nose up our desexed girls bum... That is just a boy thing.. we just tell him now to leave her and he will walk away, with such a young pup though he wouldn't really understand until you teach him....

Edited by bluepoppy

Hi Bloss, he hasn't started on our legs yet (Thank goodness :thumbsup: ) but did hump his teddy when we first got him (which is only 2 weeks ago) but as I said, the last few days he is humping Minx all the time, and she is so good, just sits there looking at us as if to say "Help me" :thumbsup: but I dont know whether to tell him off? or ignore him?

hi...

I would be giving him HEAPS more to do..lots of big bones, interactive toys..like noisy rattly balls, things to wreck....

and maybe keeping Minx away from him for the times in the day when you feel he is more 'hyped" ?

10 weeks old pups do do a little mounting 'play' with littermates... but your boy sounds a bit excessive.

Thanks Bluepoppy I'll try that, its a pitty as Minx is such a good baby sitting when he is in the yard, they play great together, and he can enjoy the nice weather outside and I dont have to worry if he is ok all the time, but if he keeps going, as you say, I'll have to separate them.

IMO it is not really "a boy thing"

we have males and females, and mounting/excessive sniffing etc behaviour between them rarely occurs at any stage.

in over 40 yrs, our dogs have NEVER attempted to mount any part of a human, either.

kittyhawklee..it is becoming common, but is not the 'expected', accepted behaviour.

persephone Hi, they have rope toys and a doogy football and a soft bone with a rope through the middle outside aswell which they play with alot, he is not on her every minute or anything (sorry if it sounded that way) but I have noticed him at her quite alot the last few days and because she sits at the sliding door this is where he starts humping her so I see it happen, I just thought it was him being a male puppy and didn't know if it would settle down or get worse?

IMO it is not really "a boy thing"

we have males and females, and mounting/excessive sniffing etc behaviour between them rarely occurs at any stage.

in over 40 yrs, our dogs have NEVER attempted to mount any part of a human, either.

kittyhawklee..it is becoming common, but is not the 'expected', accepted behaviour.

He has not done it to any of us humans...only Minx and his teddy :thumbsup:

If either dog starts humping-type behaviour, then I put a stop to it straight away, "No shag!" (gets a laugh, but I say it firmly and seriously to the dogs). Both my dogs are desexed males. Happens only rarely.

Humping behaviour can be about dominance.

Don't be fooled by a poodle's size- they can be bossy, dominant dogs and need good, consistent leadership from you.

Put a stop to it and crate him/ isolate him if needed. It's not fair on your other dog.

Ignoring a poodle is a very effective punishment- works well as they love your attention so much!

I put a stop to humping too. It's bad dog manners and dominant behaviour we can do without, with 4 dogs in the house. The only time I ever see humping is when a visitor brings a strange dog here so I'm ready for it and stop them doing it immediately.

If he wasn't humping the teddy bear I would be wondering if the girl has an infection of some type, a UTI or something else.