Allergic Reaction

Leah had an allergic reaction to something this afternoon. She started itching and rubbing her face on the floor and furniture and then her face started to swell. I called out to OH that we needed to go to the Vet as she was extremely distressed. OH played 20 questions on the phone to the Vet nurse until I yelled out "We are coming NOW, it's urgent" and he realised that this was an emergency and not just me being a paranoid dogmum.

Although Leah walked to the car and got in herself, by the time we reached the Vet which is only 15 minutes away she had collapsed and was barely breathing. I was so scared.

She was given adrenaline and something else, and put on oxygen as her gums were blue. :) Fortunately we were allowed to stay with her and hold and pat her duriing the treatment. She was also put on a drip. I think it was the longest hour of my life. When we left her she was a fair bit brighter and hopefully will be allowed to come home a bit later on tonight.

We are not sure what caused this, it could have been a sting/bite or maybe the Joint Formula I have just started giving her. She's monitored outside at the moment as she's still on restricted exercise after her OCD surgery, but does go outside into a small yard to toilet.

I would suggest a bee sting - Ollie is allergic and has the same reaction...

You would think they would learn after doing it once or twice - no Ollie has done it three times so far... Needless to say, he does not get left outside in spring/summer on his own anymore..

Sometimes, the first reaction is the worst and they can build up some sort of immunity to it...

I cannot begin to imagine how terrified you must have been.

Hope Leah has a quick recovery and this never happens again.. might be worth discussing with the vet what suitable antihistamies to keep on hand for such an emergency.

H

edit spelling again sigh

Edited by dogbesotted

Glucosamine is derived from shellfish. That'd be in the joint formula?

Do dogs have shellfish allergies, like humans do?

In an emergency, you give adrenaline or hydrocortisone by injection, I think (both prescription drugs). Antihistamines if a less severe reaction.

Best wishes

What a bummer! I also have a girl that has an anaphylactic reaction to bee stings - it all happens so quickly. You should really speak to your vet about injections to keep at home. I know my vet isn't happy about people giving Adrenalin, but i have Cortisone and anti-histamine injections at home just in case. I did have to use them last year though!

Scary stuff, yep you to speak to your vet about adrenalin. Rafael has extreme allergic reactions, not anaphylactic thank god. He developed a habit for chasing wasps and bees at 11 months. He had 3 stings in 5 days and broke out in hives with all the toxins in his body. I have cortisone on tablets on hand for him but you really need an instant relief if Leah has such strong reactions. Any idea what stung her?

Leah came home last night. She was still very sleepy but comfortable. I didn't get much sleep, heard every breath she took, and was so happy when she wanted to get up at 2am to pee. She's pretty clingy this morning, but ok and much happier.

One Vet thinks it was the Joint Formula, the shellfish, and the other Vet thinks perhaps a sting of some sort. I have cortisone on hand in case it happens again, hopefully it won't.

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Shellfish is notorious for causing severe allergic reactions. Stings can also cause the reactions.

Has your poor furkid recovered now? Hope so

Also some drugs that you dog maybe on post-op can react( some can take up to 28 days for a reaction to occur)

My avatar girl had a severe allergic reaction to Metacam Jan '06 and she was at the Vets and on a drip for nearly 3 days

I would be checking all the drugs she has been given and is on and then have a read of this website

www.dogsadversereactions.com

What breed of dog?

Peigirl: Leah had the Joint Formula with her breakfast so it was a few hours earlier. I am leaning towards a sting too as it was so quick. We hadn't long come inside. She's a tough cookie so even if she was stung she probably wouldn't have yelped at the time to alert me. She's doing fine this morning.

Inspector Rex: I'll have a read of that website. Thanks