Lou Is Not Well

Well, I have come home to a completely different dog. He is not 100% but definitely 85% He is eating, driking and running around with his brother. WE still took him to the vet to be on the safe side, and he is very happy with his progress. We just had to give the antibiotics time to start to work.

I am soooooo relieved, thank you all for your support over a very scary time.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news - although I had every faith in the boy. Love to Andy too.

Thank you. Andy had his drain removed tonight and was given another 5 days of antibiotics to be on the safe side. Lou got checked over too and despite still being very swollen down there, vet is very happy with his progress.

We have just got back. Lou has had ultra sound and the vet thinks that there is an infection in the tube. He has been given a big shot of anti biotics and we have to go back tomorrow night for another shot and keep the tablets going. The poor little boy is having trouble sitting, so he will get 3/4 of a panadeine on vets orders tonight at bed time.

Vet is confident he wont need to have more surgery.

The poor little boy is having trouble sitting, so he will get 3/4 of a panadeine on vets orders tonight at bed time.

Cazzaritch,

Please, DO NOT give him panadeine. Paracetamol is toxic to dogs (although not as much as it is to cats), Aspirin is ok though.

Heres hoping he feels better soon.

Edited by bcnacd

OMG, he has already had it..... seriously, the vet told us to give it to him?????

What have I done

Its probably ok, just keep an eye on him.

Sorry for causing you to panic, should have written *can be* toxic not *is* but couldnt work out how to edit after I'd posted. :thumbsup:

Its not something I would personally risk though.

Edited by bcnacd

Cazzaritch, can I make a suggestion for you to consider?

Look around for another vet to have on hand as a second vet (or maybe as a first vet and use your current one as a second vet?)

I am struggling to have confidence in your current vet with the number of complications, return visits and medications.......just a suggestion anyway. :laugh:

Poor boy is having a terrible time of it, I would also suggest a second opinion from another vet.

Bear had a very uncomfortable time after being desexed for about 5 days, I used a pak in the fridge around the area to give him some relief, this worked quite well. As long as it's not too too cold maybe try this and give poor Lou a big hug from us here, poor thing. :laugh:

Oh no just seeing this now :laugh:, poor Lou. Sending lots of good healing vibes his way. I too would be looking at getting a second opinion.

We have just got back from tonight's visit and vet has given another anti biotic shot. He said that the infection is ready to rupture and this the best thing that can happen. So we have towels at the ready and we are going back again in the morning. Also have his out of hours numbers.

Wow, how is he this morning?

Maybe you should be searching around for another vet? :S

Cazzaritch, can I make a suggestion for you to consider?

Look around for another vet to have on hand as a second vet (or maybe as a first vet and use your current one as a second vet?)

Cazz - I second this most heartily - I have been reading this thread today and am absolutely horrified - it brought back memories of our 1st litter of Standard Poodles - 5 of the tails got infected when they were docked & those 5 puppies later died of renal dysplasia (kidneys did not form properly) many years later I read that this can be caused by an infection early in life. My Vet told me the infection was normal and never took any responsibility for the whole fiasco - needless to say. we changed vets after that. Your boy has had a routine operation which should have gone smoothly - he should be bouncing around again by now, the many recurring infections make me wonder about the sterility of conditions in your vet's surgery.