Lou Is Not Well

My black labrador's desex wound has swollen up and he was very lethargic when I got home from work. Took him to the vet straight away. The vet has given him a shot of antibiotics and then a 5 day course and told us to take him straight back if we are worried.

Since coming home, he has gotten way more lethergic and wont drink or eat. Is this just the anti biotics? I know that when I have a course they make me feel really rotten. Should I be worried? He keeps gong outside and wont come in either, maybe he likes it because it is cold out there? Should I be worried he wont drink, I even made him some very thin gravy which I chilled with some ice and he wouldnt drink that either?

Any advise is really welcome

Thanks

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be phoning the vet again, and saying that the dog is not drinking...

altho maybe he has had a drink ..before you got home today?

Ours sometimes only drink a couple of times a day...

does he like ice-cream? That is a sort of liquid :)

Hope he settles soon...

I would be phoning the vet again, and saying that the dog is not drinking...

altho maybe he has had a drink ..before you got home today?

Ours sometimes only drink a couple of times a day...

does he like ice-cream? That is a sort of liquid :)

Hope he settles soon...

I have rang the vet, no answer and I don't have an out of hours number for him. Lou is currently in his kennel sleeping. I put 2 pieces of cheese in there with him (his favourite) and he hasn't touched them. But when Andy went to steal a piece, Lou growled at him?

Maybe he has drank earlier, he doesn't drink as much as Andy does, maybe he is just tired and the anti biotics are making him feel knocked about?

Put a good dollop of honey in his water and put some on your finger to get him interested.

If he doesn't take to that, then I'd be calling the vet again (but most dogs love the honey in water and you have to take it away from them so they don't drink too much :scared: )

:rolleyes:

Eta Manuka Honey is very healing so if you have some of that it would be even better :)

Edited by Duncan+Dougal

here's hoping a good sleep will help..and give the antibiotics a chance to start working :rolleyes:

Don't worry too much... he will probably get thirsty in the morning. Being tired is ok..he will recover better with lots of sleep.

Check him at bedtime..if he is responsive, try him on a little ice cream...

If he looks worse, is crying, or won't wake up..find a 24 hr vet number and check with them to ease your mind :)

Having a temperature and being sore will just make him want to sleep... guess you have had this feeling too at some stage....

I am a bit suprised tho that the vet didn't have him on antibiotics as a matter of course.... ours does..sends home antibiotics, and extra painkillers if needed.

The vet has no mobile number listed in the phone book, or on their card?

That makes it hard.

Put a good dollop of honey in his water and put some on your finger to get him interested.

If he doesn't take to that, then I'd be calling the vet again (but most dogs love the honey in water and you have to take it away from them so they don't drink too much :scared: )

:rolleyes:

Eta Manuka Honey is very healing so if you have some of that it would be even better :)

I have just popped outside to try that. He licked a little bit off my fingers but that was it. His nose or mouth don't feel dry at all.

God I wish I could contact the vet

When was the surgery?

The surgery was on friday.

I feel so awul as we concentrated on Andy's recovery more as he had a more major surgery for an undescended testicle. Andy is fine, bouncing around, and Its poor Lou we should have been keeping an eye on.

here's hoping a good sleep will help..and give the antibiotics a chance to start working :rolleyes:

Don't worry too much... he will probably get thirsty in the morning. Being tired is ok..he will recover better with lots of sleep.

Check him at bedtime..if he is responsive, try him on a little ice cream...

If he looks worse, is crying, or won't wake up..find a 24 hr vet number and check with them to ease your mind :)

Having a temperature and being sore will just make him want to sleep... guess you have had this feeling too at some stage....

I am a bit suprised tho that the vet didn't have him on antibiotics as a matter of course.... ours does..sends home antibiotics, and extra painkillers if needed.

The vet has no mobile number listed in the phone book, or on their card?

That makes it hard.

No, no mobile number and the office number doesn't divert.

He gave Andy anti biotics due to bigger surgery, but Lou's surgery was so routine, vet didn't feel it was neccesary.

ETA his temp was normal at the vets.

Edited by cazzaritch

Sounds like an infection.

Do you have another vet you can call? Is there a 24 hour vet?

The vet said it was mostly brusing coming out and no infection was present. Temp in normal range. I will give him an hours peace (with the odd walk by) and see how he is. We can see him from where we are if he does eat the cheese or drink or go for a wander. He isnt crying or shaking or anything. I think he is just exhausted.

I hope.

Will look for an emergency vet number.

Thanks guys for your help, please keeo any more ideas coming. I think i am in for a long night.

That sounds like a plan!

One other thing though - make sure he is warm enough if he is outside which by the sounds of things he is. Does he have a coat or something? Or do you live in the tropics? :)

Eta: Yes, I would prefer he be inside too like CavNrott - if he is exhausted and sleeping, he'd be no bother to anyone and it would be better for him.

Edited by Duncan+Dougal

We live in Sydney and its not too cold out there. We can see him in his kennel from where we are. We kept bringing him inside earlier on and he kept getting up and walking back outside. he has a blanket which he is led on. No shivering or anything.

Will go for another check.

ETA we have bought him inside

he didnt want to come though - OH had to carry him.

Edited by cazzaritch

When was the surgery?

The surgery was on friday.

I feel so awul as we concentrated on Andy's recovery more as he had a more major surgery for an undescended testicle. Andy is fine, bouncing around, and Its poor Lou we should have been keeping an eye on.

In that case I'd be seeing the vet as soon as poss. I thought if it was only done today he may still be a bit groggy. Also agree with other who have said bring him inside tonight and realise that you'll probably have to bring both in - being siblings and together all the time. Perhaps crate them in you bedroom so you can keep an eye during the night.