Lou Is Not Well

[

b]Cazzaritch, can I make a suggestion for you to consider?

Look around for another vet to have on hand as a second vet (or maybe as a first vet and use your current one as a second vet?)[/b]

I 'third' it... :)

Hope Lou feels better once the abscess( from what you've written) bursts. Poor boy..

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It did burst, it was very messy. He is much better now. Vet has taken full responsibility for this and has been very good to us (I think). All extra treatments and visits have been free. He has been genuinely as worried about him as we have. He didnt want to open him up again in case the situation was made worse, and I agreed with that, and think that the best decisions were made. I think that we just had a very unfortunate time.

Am I being too kind to this vet, many of our friends recommended him to us, and wouldn't use any one else.

It did burst, it was very messy. He is much better now. Vet has taken full responsibility for this and has been very good to us (I think). All extra treatments and visits have been free. He has been genuinely as worried about him as we have. He didnt want to open him up again in case the situation was made worse, and I agreed with that, and think that the best decisions were made. I think that we just had a very unfortunate time.

Am I being too kind to this vet, many of our friends recommended him to us, and wouldn't use any one else.

You must follow your own instincts, but it concerns me that what was a routine op has gone so pear-shaped. As I said before, I worry about the cleanliness of his clinic, given the number of infections poor Lou had to endure. Al I can say is, had this happened with one of my dogs I'd be looking for another vet. I also think it's not good enough that you had no way of contacting him out of hours - when one of my dogs was sick, my vet gave me his home number and said I could ring him any time if there was any change in my dog's condition.

Yes, I think you are. Your dog didn't have to suffer the way he did.

And sorry, but your vet shouldn't be charging you anyway for his mistakes, that isn't a kind gesture that he's not charging you, that's a combination of guilt and the right thing to do.

Still, I would find another vet and then you can at least compare. I would rather have an experienced vet who's a grumble bum than someone who simply said all the right things.

:thumbsup:

You must follow your own instincts, but it concerns me that what was a routine op has gone so pear-shaped. As I said before, I worry about the cleanliness of his clinic, given the number of infections poor Lou had to endure. Al I can say is, had this happened with one of my dogs I'd be looking for another vet. I also think it's not good enough that you had no way of contacting him out of hours - when one of my dogs was sick, my vet gave me his home number and said I could ring him any time if there was any change in my dog's condition.

Just to clarify, it was just the one infection that threw us off as he seemed to be getting better.

Crikey, the things that happen when I have a day and a weekend off work. Poor Lou!!! Hope he is on the road to recovery now. We will have to have a discussion about vets next time I see you at the off lead area - although there are so many bindii there now that the guys can't even enjoy a run. Even the old girl with cast iron feet is reacting to them.

Crikey, the things that happen when I have a day and a weekend off work. Poor Lou!!! Hope he is on the road to recovery now. We will have to have a discussion about vets next time I see you at the off lead area - although there are so many bindii there now that the guys can't even enjoy a run. Even the old girl with cast iron feet is reacting to them.

We wont be back for at least another week, just to be on the safe side. Would be very interested to know which vet you use for your girls. Hope to see you soon.

He is much much better now and the swelling and infection has nearly all gone. We have (hopefully) final check on Saturday morning.

Glad to hear Lou is feeling a bit better, must have given you a fright though.

It most certaily did. Having not ever seen a very sick puppy before, we totally panicked and thought we might lose him. We probably over reated through lack of experience.