Bones And Poo

A bit of advice please - when we give Tealc a bone (which he absolutely adores) a few days afterwards he then has trouble pooing. He yelps when he is trying to do a poo and often ends up just shooting one bit out, yelping and running off. There is no bone fragments or anything in there, so it's not that. The poos are already extremely dry and chalky and almost rock like (you know when poos have been left in the sun for a week or somethings and they go white and chalky).

So my guess is it isn't exactly tickling on the way out and being the wuss bag that he is, it's hurting a bit.

Should we maybe slip a bit of oil of some description in his food when he has a bone to help soften the poos up a bit??

Feeding meatier bones should help. Sounds like he is getting too much straight bone, which causes constipation in some dogs. If you feed bones with a reasonable amount of meat still attached it's less likely.

White and chalky hard faeces mean too much fat is being ingested and not being digested. This is a concern as too much fat in the system can cause pancreatitis. Try meatier bones and avoid access to the marrow content of the bone. Best advise would be to swap to raw chicken carcasses or forget the bones completely. Yes the white hard faeces can hurt lots! Its called constipation! and combined with the belly ache of dangerously high levels of fat in the system undigested (can lead to seizures, pancreittis, gastro etc) would not be a fun few days for your pup. Speak to your vet about more appropriate treats that are lower in fat.

White and chalky hard faeces mean too much fat is being ingested and not being digested. This is a concern as too much fat in the system can cause pancreatitis. Try meatier bones and avoid access to the marrow content of the bone. Best advise would be to swap to raw chicken carcasses or forget the bones completely. Yes the white hard faeces can hurt lots! Its called constipation! and combined with the belly ache of dangerously high levels of fat in the system undigested (can lead to seizures, pancreittis, gastro etc) would not be a fun few days for your pup. Speak to your vet about more appropriate treats that are lower in fat.

I've actually found the opposite effect if they eat something fatty. Fat usually causes softer feces and bone causes harder feces.

My dogs are mainly on BARF and the poop is usually well formed and turns white very quickly. For the bone component I do mainly feed raw chicken frames but occasionally they get lamb flap which is more fatty and that's when we see the softer feces. I've found if they have too much bone they do get a bit constipated and the poop is white and crumbly.

With a BARF diet the raw meaty bones are an important part of the diet so I doubt we can forget the bones completely. The bones are also excellent for maintaining healthy, clean teeth. Bones are not used as a treat but as part of the BARF diet.

What do other BARF feeders find with the bones?

Well this bone was a leg bone I would say and it was quite thick and had two big knuckle bits at either end.

Now he has chewed them off, he did get to the sucking out the marrow on the weekend.

I have given him lamb necks before which are a bit meatier but I think they tend to soften him.

I don't want to stop giving him bones as he adores them and spends hours chewing on them, taking them up to the fence to 'share' them with the doggies the other side etc and his teeth are so brilliantly white after this one!!

Maybe I should stick to lamb necks? But they don't last as long

Get some psyllium husks from the health store and add some to his food. The psyllium will add fibre and it basically forms a gel so makes it easier for the dogs to defecate. My dogs all get psyllium because they are mainly barf fed so they eat plenty of bones.

It sounds like he has eaten all the knuckle part of the marrow bone. I would give him a dose of parrafin oil to get rid of whatever is blocking him up. The parrafin will soften up the hard stuff and allow him to eliminate it.