Capable Behaviourist In Sa, Adelaide Hills

A family with one of my pups are in need of a behaviourist / capable trainer handler.

IMO the pup (5 months) may be running amock a bit too much, and if I can suggest a name or names for this family to ring that will be great.

(Didn't want to hijack the katekate thread ;) )

I am concerned about the way the situation seems to be developing and am caught between expressing concern and constructive criticism, and not wanting to 'push' the owner away.

I feel if a behaviourist could see how the owner and dog relate and offer objectiuve advice this will enure a happy future and not an unhappy one (which I forsee atm).

The pup has nipped two children while chasing them and my interpretation thus far is that his behaviour is just being regarded as rough play, or the dog being wilfull and nothing 'serious'.

He has also shouldered down one of their sheep - and from what i can gather the pup is throwing his weight around and maybe receiving inconsistent correction.

The pup is willfull, assertive, confident and very intelligent. I am looking for a behaviourist that does not prescribe to only one set of training methods (ie positive training.). Nothing against positive training but I think this pup is too strong tempered for a rewards only based program :thumbsup:

ETA: the pup is now approx 40 kgs so him playing chase and running down children and other animals is a big no no.

Edited by lilli

Thats where I am ;)

But sorry I dont know any behavourists. They could try the yellow pages?

Thanks qute but I don't think the owner will seek a behaviourist on their own. But if I offer them contact details for one I think they will be more inclined to call. They don't have to be a 'professional behaviourist' even a 'capable dog person' with years of experience managing and rearing dogs.

The diffulty is that I don't think they see their situation as needing attention or professional advice. Whereas Im concerned if the pup keeps going as it has (there has been little issues since 12 weeks) then in a few months there will be a serious incident with little or no recourse for the dog.

Edited by lilli

(Didn't want to hijack the katekate thread :o )

:happydance2:

Which part of the hills? Up my way, in Tea Tree Gully, is Mark Singer. I have *no* idea what he's like as a trainer, so this isn't a recommendation in that sense, just that I looked at his website and thought he seemed interesting. He uses correction as well as praise, if that was a characteristic you're looking for..

And as I said in the other thread, Vets4Pets have a Behavioural vet, who is very good. :o

Not sure if any of that is close, or not, though.

maybe pm Steve from K9 Force and see if he knows anyone.

All I know he was a dogsend when I had huge problems with my dominant male.

In the meantime can I suggest you get them to read Steve's website and start the TOT and NILIF - that really really worked for my boy (as well as other suggestions by Steve designed for my situation)

I just posted this same thing in KateK's thread :laugh:

I would call George from Sitdropstay http://www.sitdropstay.com.au

George is highly recommended throughout Australia

Excerpt from their website:

Sitdropstay was created by Proprietor and Head Trainer, George Lygidakis in response to an urgent need to improve the quality of dog training and knowledge available to the Australian public. We feel too many dogs are discarded, destroyed, locked away or lead a poor quality of life due to a lack of understanding, misinformation, misdiagnosis and poor training. Dogs are often turned away from obedience clubs because they don't fit into their particular training system and are classed untrainable. Also many dogs are currently great at doing "circus tricks" at obedience clubs but are unmanageable at home. We are amazed at the number of families and relationships that are under unnecessary stress and tension due to their lack of understanding of canine behaviour. In the majority of cases one consultation is all that is required to address the problem.