Thunder Storms Predicted

BJ.

We have thunder storms predicted for later in the day and tomorrow. This will be our first day time storms and I was wondering about how to handle Jester to make it a non-scarey event. Last time we had a small storm in the middle of the night he did wake up and have a whinge, but he was in his crate so I ignored him and he settled back to sleep. Any tips on a day storm, he doesn't like his crate during the day so don't really want to stress by crating him when he normally wouldn't be. I have had a dog that was terrified of storms before and would prefer not to go down that route again. Both the other dogs here are not bothered at all by storms.

Yep, get out there and play in it. Don't pander to any fear/ doubts etc. You are the pack leader, the dog should take his/her cues from you. Don't change your voice tone or anything, just business as usual.

When Erik was still very young, a storm started while I was out, as soon as it did I rang the wife and told her to get Erik out in it chasing a ball, stick whatever. Roll around in the grass etc.

our new one had his first encounter

and started the ole woof soft woof routine

i havent had a lot of exp with dogs who fear storms...none of mine have had a problem but this dog is a natural alert barker

so i just got some training stuff out and got him to do his routine

i wasnt giving him treats for weathering the storm..i was trying to distract him by taking his mind off the noise

like when u talk to someone who is about to cop an injection lol

dont know if it worked...he did settle but we will see next storm